Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (Post-release)

Vivek

Master Member
ErikDavis: Tom Cruise teases next MISSION movie, says production starts this fall. Now intros JACK REACHER 2, set in DC & New Orleans #CinemaCon

slashfilm: Jack Reacher: Never Go Back has a great open with JR being arrested in a diner. Looks like Old school kick ass action film #cinemacon2016

ErikDavis: JACK REACHER 2 footage looked solid; more shadowy Reacher kicking ass, this time w/ Colbie Smulders at his side. #CinemaCon

Re: Jack Reacher: Never Go Back

Looking forward to this one. The first one captured the essence of Reacher very well. I did enjoy the book Never Go Back, the only problem is that book is in run of about 3 or 4 where he just keeps landing in one fubar situation after the next. That run would've made a good trilogy of movies. But i'll be there with bells on.

I really enjoyed the first JR pic. I'll definitely check this one out.

Do we have any idea of when a teaser might drop for this?

Whilst like everyone I wish they had found a charasmatic, threatening 6'5 actor to play the role - Tom Cruise channels the brutal good guy vibe very well, so yeah, the spirit is captured nicely.

I always thought Armie Hammer might have done the role justice. He has charisma, he's a big guy (6'4 I think) and given the right script could have worked well I think. Just hasn't had that standout role yet.

They have doubled down on the "hard guy" approach. Which is good, but could be a bit much. I much prefer that we also get to see smart Reacher.
However, these are pure perfect action movies, and thats what it's advertising. I look forward to this.

Looks good, I would prefer less of the "fighting style", make him the more brutal dirty fighter that what know and love.

looks good, im gonna see it. lets have part 3 be jack reacher teams with john wick, and find out they both served together in the military.. :love

Wasnt reacher like 6'6" in the books......and blonde? I fell asleep during the first one and googled the ending.

6'5" in the books and blonde/sandy hair. Cruise does a decent job of the attitude and mindset of the character so I can live with it.

Well Lee Child the Author approved of Tom's portrayal so I'd say that's the one opinion that matters most. People forget what a great actor Tom is. I remember Anne Rice taking out a full page ad in the NY Times to apologize to him for bad mouthing him being cast as LeStat.

Well Lee Child the Author approved of Tom's portrayal so I'd say that's the one opinion that matters most. People forget what a great actor Tom is. I remember Anne Rice taking out a full page ad in the NY Times to apologize to him for bad mouthing him being cast as LeStat.

Agreed. The only issue people have with Tom as Reacher is his size. Grant made a rod for his own back for screen adaptaion by over emphasising the physical build I think. But Cruise wouldn't have to be much bigger for most people to not really care.

Its a solid movie. Not as good as the first and not as true to the book either. The first half is great and feels like Reacher a lot, the second half I felt they started losing the character a touch. eg

The big fight at the end. Reacher doesn't have a big fight, he gives them an almighty thump and job done, or a double tap to the head. There was too much of the fighting trying to make out that he was in danger, I think in all the books he has only had one close fight. Reacher worries more about being outplayed in the next move of the conspiracy, he's a tactician. That element was lacking for me

Definitely worth seeing though.

Its a solid movie. Not as good as the first and not as true to the book either. The first half is great and feels like Reacher a lot, the second half I felt they started losing the character a touch. eg

The big fight at the end. Reacher doesn't have a big fight, he gives them an almighty thump and job done, or a double tap to the head. There was too much of the fighting trying to make out that he was in danger, I think in all the books he has only had one close fight. Reacher worries more about being outplayed in the next move of the conspiracy, he's a tactician. That element was lacking for me

I haven't read any of the books, but is there a reason why they are not true to the book?
I would have thought they would be more accurate

I haven't read any of the books, but is there a reason why they are not true to the book?
I would have thought they would be more accurate

Just a bit of creative license with it. I only mention it because the first film was a very close adaptation of that book.

Agree with all your points, though Im a little more lenient on the final fight.

Nothing majorly wrong, but not much to write home about. But an entertaining few hours, the fight choreorgaphy was basic, brutal and not flashy, which I really liked.

And to be honest, the final fight - what a way to end someone. However, motivations all around were a little lacking.

And the only thing that really bugged me was

why would the girls mother put Jack Reacher as the father claim, when they clearly didnt know each other? Or are we supposed to assume that it was fabricated by the bad guys - doesnt make sense, as the girl said she pushed for her mother to do it. If it is pure coincidence that the mother just chose reachers name that will annoy me. I dont think it was explained?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back