Styrene scratchbuild plans/blueprints?

zz123by680

Hey, does anyone have any cool plans or blueprints for scratch building any cool replica movie models? Preferably Scifi stuff but really anything if its cool. The only Star Wars styrene plans I have found are for R2D2 and Fett's helmet.

Are you talking about drawings of the subjects or actual construction plans (aka 'blueprints')? There are lots of subject drawings (aka '3-views') on the 'net but less so for modeling plans. I'm working up my own for building the Star Wars B-Wing in 1/48 scale (see my thread in GenModeling - shameless plug!) so it is possible to do you own as well.

Blakeh1's suggestion about using paper model kits as templates for building in styrene is also spot-on. You can even build the paper models in (gasp!) paper... a fine example of this is in progress over on Britmodeller forum (1/24 scale Tigercat) if you're interested to see it in action. The guy started with paper, filled it with expanding foam and then cut out the various interior spots which he detailed with plastic card, brass, etc. to a very high standard. He also skinned over the paper with aluminum plate for a prototypical look. Really nice and just shows how the quality of the model is more a function of the modeler than of the materials...

R/ Robert

Are you talking about drawings of the subjects or actual construction plans (aka 'blueprints')? There are lots of subject drawings (aka '3-views') on the 'net but less so for modeling plans. I'm working up my own for building the Star Wars B-Wing in 1/48 scale (see my thread in GenModeling - shameless plug!) so it is possible to do you own as well.

Blakeh1's suggestion about using paper model kits as templates for building in styrene is also spot-on. You can even build the paper models in (gasp!) paper... a fine example of this is in progress over on Britmodeller forum (1/24 scale Tigercat) if you're interested to see it in action. The guy started with paper, filled it with expanding foam and then cut out the various interior spots which he detailed with plastic card, brass, etc. to a very high standard. He also skinned over the paper with aluminum plate for a prototypical look. Really nice and just shows how the quality of the model is more a function of the modeler than of the materials...

R/ Robert
amazing build
here it is if anyone else wants to check it out
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968810-124-scale-grumman-f7f-tigercat-n7654c/

Thanks for digging up that link, Vac-man (I was being lazy...)! He's doing a wonderful job plus his excellent photography doesn't hurt the presentation either. Lots to learn when someone of his caliber serves up a project with such clarity.

I hope zz...680 wasn't "scared off" after seeing that...

R/ Robert

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back