Large Sculpt Issues, Armature, Medium, etc.

srsmith332

Greetings RPF, in the past, I thought I could maintain two WIP threads on two separate forums for my build. I realized that wasn't going to work out. I'm now only updating the one on my Rebel Legion thread. Onto the topic at hand.

The sculpture I'm making is of Ahsoka Tano, except she is an Adult. Not the Adult your thinking of though, from Rebels! It's the Altar of Mortis version of her. As seen here:

future_potential_ahsoka_by_raikoh14-d3fo9hm.jpg

Later on I'll make this edition. But first though I need to figure out the fundamentals behind making this magnificent sculpture.

My latest attempts are as follows: Ahsoka Headpiece Mk IV:

20160318_035055_zpshwhhnd8b.jpg

20160318_035044_zpsjdoog5wp.jpg

20160318_035111_zpsu4xssqdn.jpg

As you can see, my armature isn't really holding up (ha) the horn on the left!

Things I tried for an Armature:
-Chicken Wire
-Cardboard
-PVC (experiments on-going)

I'm making it out of heavy oil clay, sulfur free oil clay. I intend to make a mold out of this headpiece. I wish to make multiple characters with this kind of headpiece. Of course, this is the first piece of at least four pieces that'll complete the headpiece. My research has told me that the tails and the central headpiece must be different pieces or else this thing won't be able to cast at all!

-How could I make those without using Pantyhose? I'd love for them to be proportional and to not look 'cheap'?

The key here is to make a moldable sculpture. I could use another type of material to make this headpiece with! However I wish to to be highly accurate, so are their other mediums I could use (wax perhaps)?

I realize this sculpt is huge and I might need some helping hands with this sort of thing when it comes to the mold making/casting process. Anyone here in the Midwest (or close by there) that knows what their doing and could lend a helping hand?

I thought about making this headpiece out of Worbla, but I understand that I need to have a shape in order to use Worbla on a surface to shape! I don't think Worbla can withstand the molding process... haven't worked with it enough to know...

What I want out of this piece is to be both functional and presentable. Basically I want this thing to come close to the real thing as much as humanly possible. I intend to duel in it (Choreography style, must be able to take a dink without being destroyed!), go on troops, and even cosplay in it.

Thanks for your time ladies and gents!

I'm no expert but what I did worked for me :) I created my armature out of rigid polyurethane foam (the pale yellow stuff), It has foil on either side that will peel off & its meant to be used as insulation. It cuts, carves & sands really easily. Once the shape is roughed out you can seal the surface with PVA glue (wood glue), give it a couple or three coats & let it dry. Then you can start building up a layer of your oil based clay.

HTH :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back