Negan's Barbed Wire Wrapped Bat, Lucille

slugger.jpgJust bought this at a garage sale for $2.00. I think you see where I'm going with this.

If you though I forgot about this project...I was waiting to find some nice used/rusted barb wire. Sanded off most of the logo that was on the bat. I left the circle and stained it using Minwax Sedona Red. Letting it dry now and will put the wire and finishing touches on tomorrow in time for Sunday night.

20161021_183708.jpg20161021_183649.jpg

Done in time for Sunday night. Real Louisville slugger with 25 feet of real barb wire. Looks very cool, but 25 feet of barb wire makes it very top heavy and unbalanced.

20161022_224400.jpg

Here is my finished Lucille I made for Halloween. 34" bat my boss had in her garage and it was in pretty bad shape. I cleaned it, sanded it down, stained it, and applied the oval with black sharpie.

The barbed wire was created with 2 different sizes of craft/floral wire. The "non-bloody bat" had thinner wire and I decided it didn't look quite right so I added thicker wire. I chose the craft wire due to the fact I was going to be in bars and I figured I was already carrying around a real bat and didn't want to chance it by using real barbed wire.

I attached it by taking one end and using a staple gun to attach it to the top side edge of the bat and laying it across the top so one barb was on the top of the bat as in the show, and then just wrapped it around and crossed it back up to the top wrapping the other end twisting the craft wire around the beginning end.

If you have any questions, shoot em' my way and I'll try to help.

(Couldn't figure out how to rotate those two photos after they uploaded)

Flesh lucille.jpglucille brick.JPG Lucille close.JPGNon bloody lucille.JPG

-Ash

Finally got everything together...
supplies.jpg

Bat from academy.
Decided to use picture wire to make barbed wire, easier to work with winding around the bat.
I did sand down the writing and start to stain but I guess it was not enough sanding since there is a very noticeable line where they coat the business end of the bat. Also, I tried the Sedona Red and it looks really pink on this bat- going to have to use something darker, I like the red but needs more brown.

Last edited:
What is the consensus on how long a section of barbed wire is needed? I already have the bat stained and I just need to buy barbed wire now

What is the consensus on how long a section of barbed wire is needed? I already have the bat stained and I just need to buy barbed wire now

I just finished mine, used about 12 feet of "wire" - I made the fake stuff using the tutorial that's floating around here somewhere. Here's a photo, I don't think it's too shabby:

17967019_1762836790697726_1208518019968185507_o.jpg

Can you show a closer picture of just the end of the bat with the "barbed wire" ?

I like the overall effect, but I want a better picture of the wire.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back