Messed up Observation from The Force Awakens

Also, have we not seen this comic?

Chewie-and-Kylo-Ren-comic.jpg

Doesn't QUITE play with the timing now that I can compare, but pretty great read into the scene regardless. The artist did it they day after it premiered. I want this on my wall.

Congratulations! You have found a reason why Leia hug Rey and not Chewie on Takodana afterwards -- something that has been bugging fans since the movie up to the point that Abrams even apologized for it.
Chewie could just have avoided Leia because he thought it would feel awkward to face her after having shot her son.
While Chewie is a bad-ass when it comes down to it, he is also a very sensitive person who has always worn his feeling on the outside.

I think Chewie is a good enough shot where he could have hit him in the head if he wanted to, but chose to injure him instead. Plus who is to say that he and Ben were ever close? He could have not liked him from the start. Ben could have pulled his fur and beat on him by being a little brat? ;lol.

I think Chewie is a good enough shot where he could have hit him in the head if he wanted to, but chose to injure him instead. Plus who is to say that he and Ben were ever close? He could have not liked him from the start. Ben could have pulled his fur and beat on him by being a little brat? ;lol.

I agree! Who's to say he wasn't always sticking his chew gum in Chewie's fur while Han and Leia were off smooching somewhere?

- - - Updated - - -

I would posit at that point in the story, Chewie wasn't trying to kill Ben Solo, he was trying to kill Kylo Ren.

Sure- just like Luke wasn't saving Darth Vader, he was saving Anakin Skywalker.

You watch your friend get killed - one you may have sworn your life to protect - and see if you can think rationally. Personally, I'd think I'd see red and go for the kill shot. It's only later I would probably realize that killing the son of your friend, even if he killed your friend, wasn't such a good idea. I'm thinking Chewie is pissed he missed.

I'm going to go with the belief that what was left of Ben Solo died with his father. I'm also predicting that in episode IX he will not be redeemed and Rey will have to kill him.

I totally understand why Chewbacca did what he did, I'm not saying I might not have done the same in that situation, but looking at the relationships of everyone involved it doesn't make it any less messed up.

I totally understand why Chewbacca did what he did, I'm not saying I might not have done the same in that situation, but looking at the relationships of everyone involved it doesn't make it any less messed up.

I think what's messed up is the situation itself. That it got so bad that (A) Ben wanted to literally murder his father, (B) Ben was willing to align himself with a force for evil that literally just exterminated all life on several planets, and (C) that...he didn't used to be that way. It's not messed up. It's deeply, deeply tragic.

When Chewie shoots -- and he's definitely shooting to kill -- it strikes me as a shot in revenge for the death of his best friend (practically his brother), as well as an attempt to stop Kylo from inflicting any more evil on anyone ever again. Mostly, though, I think it's rage and anguish that's behind that trigger pull. And if you pushed Chewie to answer (which I wouldn't advise), he might tell you that Ben was gone at that point and all that remained was the evil creature that is Kylo Ren.

We later see stuff that might suggest otherwise, or at least that might suggest that Kylo Ren is nowhere near as emotionally committed to his path as it might seem on the surface, but Chewie doesn't know any of that stuff. From his perspective, what more evidence do you need that Ben no longer exists than his murder of his own father after already being complicit in the wholesale slaughter of countless innocents?

I kind of look at the scene like this, Han may have thought there was no saving Ben, saying something to Leia like "he has too much Vader in him." As close as Han and Chewie were, I think it's plausible that Chewie may have felt the same way or had at least come to the same conclusion over the years. It wasn't until Leia's assertion that Ben still had light in him that even Han thought maybe he could be saved. Once Kylo/Ben murdered Han, those initial feelings were all confirmed. It was time for Ben to be put down. And Chewie did what needed to be done regardless of Leia.

With this thinking, you can also possibly explain why Chewie and Leia don't hug. In his grief, he may irrationally blame her for encouraging Han to confront Ben and causing his death. He obviously realizes shortly after that isn't fair to Leia and lets that anger go. But, initially, he may have been cycling through a lot of different emotions.

Plus when Han left and went back to smuggling after Bens fall to the dark side Chewie went right with him. So as loyal as he is to Leia or Luke, I think if push came to shove, Han would be his number one priority.

What if, during the end throne room scene of ROTJ, Vader had not just threatened to turn Leia evil? What if Vader had actually killed her right there on the spot, in front of Luke? Luke already lost his cool and dang near killed Vader just from the threat of it alone.

That's why Chewie tried to kill Kylo. Dude had it coming. And Chewie is not the most passive & self-controlled creature in the galaxy. He's just lucky Chewie was too far away & surprised to nail the shot.

For starters, it WAS a kill shot. Bowcaster to the gut is instant death for just about anyone else in this universe. The only reason Kylo Ren isn't dead is because of how strong he is in the force.

It wasn't Chewie being nice or having second thoughts (although I absolutely love that comic). His life debt was to Han. Vengeance is required no matter what the relation of the killer was to the victim. It was awesome to see him go absolutely ape-**** with rage as well. Blasting away and then detonating the whole place. Anyone who thinks he intentionally spared Ren is fooling themselves.

I don't find his action messed up, rather the situation. If I were in his shoes it wouldn't be until we were flying away that what I did would hit me. And then, after some honest thought, I'd probably determine that I'd do the same thing again given the same situation. You killed the most important person in my life, you need to die. There would also be tension between Leia and I. Han knew he couldn't be saved, but you convinced him to try and now he's dead. Of course it's not her fault but there would be anger there.

For starters, it WAS a kill shot. Bowcaster to the gut is instant death for just about anyone else in this universe. The only reason Kylo Ren isn't dead is because of how strong he is in the force.

Depends how long you charge it up tho and maybe this was around the period it was nerfed :p

Depends how long you charge it up tho and maybe this was around the period it was nerfed :p

Right, a bowcaster isn't a sniper rifle. It likely looses juice / power the farther the shot has to go. If it was that strong all the snipers would be using them by slapping long range scopes on them.

Also I can't believe Han never shot Chewie's bow? really now you know you will try out your buddies weapons after so many years.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back