ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

This looks great!!

Thanks! I finalized my pattern and cut everything out tonight, so hopefully tomorrow I'll have a finished shirt to post!

Oh, and I started ventilating my wig this weekend :)

20161204_201201.jpg

I think this is the picture (source)?:

View attachment 686228

I honestly have no idea what color to paint the baton at this point. In this photo it looks all black (the handle isn't shown but that seems to be consistently silver). But then in the clip they showed on Jimmy Kimmel the top loop and the middle section where the handle attaches look silver, not black. The Celebration pictures make it look all bronze except for the silver handle. Then the Nuremberg toy fair photos make the top look silver.

What is everyone else leaning towards?

Here are my thoughts on Jyn's tonfa/baton. In order to take on armored Stormtroopers and Security Droids in hand-to-hand, close combat, the baton must be metallic, strong and lightweight. I would use that as the basic layer and think of metals such as steel or titanium in "our world". As a weapon, reliability is mandatory so the metal would need coatings to reduce oxidation (rust) and corrosion from heat, sand, salt water, etc. all of which are environments we see in the clips. Our world weapons are normally coated with a black oxide or "bluing" for clandestine operations such as might be expected of a spy, or use of stainless steel or chromium for a more flashy look. The tonfa seems to go the black oxide route which is a blue-black finish which seems consistent with a dark blue-gray-black look of the exterior. The surface of the exterior is "bumpy" this is for both ease of grip for the wielder and also as protrusions to concentrate the force onto small areas to the victim. In use black oxide wears down to bare metal so protected area between the bumps will be dark and the raised ends of the bumps will be lighter in some cases bare metal..

For the hand grip a non-slip grip is required. This is provided by a knurled surface with no coating. So this will be lighter than the other parts of the exterior even lighter than the "worn" ends of the bumps as this metal was never coated. The cross-hatch grooves of the knurling quickly collects dirt and grime. So dark grime is in the grooves and the top surface is lighter from all the "polishing'" from handing. This area gets the most wear.

The band which connects the handgrip to the main shaft and provide a pivot point is brighter than the shaft or the grip. There is no justification for this I can come up with other than just to provide visual interest.

For the extended tonfa the rules are different. Once it is deployed, stealth is less necessary. Coatings are not as necessary as the interior is normally sealed and protected in the collapsed state. In the video clips the interior is also shiny. My interpretation of this is that in a world of light-energy blasters and lightsabers, having a highly reflective surface to deflect those energies could be advantageous.

Also just so there is no confusion, the prop used on Kimmel's live segment is not the same as the weapon in the clips.

Attached are a series of screen captures of the tonfa in action. There are a number of still photographs but the colors are as questionable as fabric colors have been. They are helpful to recognize levels of contract and similarity to other "known" surfaces such as her sidearm which goes from the rear black coating to the shine of the barrel shroud.

EDIT Remove attached file as the PDF did not provide clear images. I will attempt to repost once I have corrected the issues.

Last edited:
I honestly have no idea what color to paint the baton at this point. In this photo it looks all black (the handle isn't shown but that seems to be consistently silver). But then in the clip they showed on Jimmy Kimmel the top loop and the middle section where the handle attaches look silver, not black. The Celebration pictures make it look all bronze except for the silver handle. Then the Nuremberg toy fair photos make the top look silver.

What is everyone else leaning towards?

IMG_0995.JPG

This is where I suggest a completely unsubstantiated rumor that her baton is loosely based on a Sunpack hammerhead flash handle (like the 3600) -- the style of which replaced the Graflex flashgun that used a bulb. Making her post-light saber weapon designed very similar to post Flashbulb technology. I have no idea about color. I just want this rumor to start circulating, because I'm in love with the idea.... even if it's not an exact match.

Jyn's jacket...is the consensus that it's pretty much the same jacket as Cassian's? I'm asking because as I'm getting ready to cut the back panel, and I see Cassian's is like a military WEP jacket (think Stargate). No idea if Jyn's would be modeled the same or if they would leave that detail out (it's created for more mobility, many times has elastic in it as well). Does anyone have any thoughts? I can do it, I just didn't want to if there was justification that Jyn's jacket may not have it. Trying to save a little time where I can. haha.
Apologies if this has been covered and I missed it. Thanks! Cassian.jpg

Jyn's jacket...is the consensus that it's pretty much the same jacket as Cassian's?

At this point I do not think anyone knows for sure just based on available images. All the photos of Jyn in the jacket also seem to have the vest which covers the back detail you mention. In my analysis of the two jackets, most of the details are exactly the same. So I would expect the back of the jackets to mirror each other as well. The possible difference I do expect to see once we have more details is the lower front of the jackets. Just because Jyn's length is several inches shorter than Cassian's, there may be differences. Under the right chest pocket there seems to be a vertical seam which I believe is part of a lower pocket. This would be consistent with military style "field jackets". However none of the jacket products being offered so far deal with that detail. One other detail I see on Cassian and not (so far) on Jyn is a fit adjustment strap at the sides near the waistline.

Cassian and Jyn's jackets are almost certainly identical, as are the beach commandos... albeit in different colors. smithjohnj, what is this vertical seam you're talking about? I think we've nailed down all the details for Cassian's jacket. We'll be soon offering a lower cost version for those on a budget, so that will work for Jyn costumers as well. Hoping to bring that jacket in at about $250 (shipped).

Last edited by a moderator:
The vertical jacket seam I am talking about can be seen in the next to last picture in Toa Quarax series (above). Again is starts under the left chest pocket and extend down to the waistband. It exists in earlier photos and I added it to my analysis of Jyn's jacket back in June. This could just be a fitting dart for Jyn jacket, but it is not really "fitted" and therefore that would be extra work with no obvious benefit. Also if it is a dart, I have not yet seen a matching seam on the right side. In images of Cassian's jacket an exterior seam is not seen. If it was a pocket, his bigger hands would allow and require a deeper pocket. However there is no evidence of such a pocket other than design of similar military gear.

I would interested in design details you have included in your product I have missed. (The shoulder and adjustment features are the only two items I have added to my analysis since my original effort, but there may be more.)

It seems many people are making progress towards next week’s opening. Here are some in-progress pics of my version of Jyn’s pants.

A couple of launderings before a test fitting pointed out some loose stitching, blocking and pressing issues, and a couple of things I can improve. The photo also illustrates a valuable field aid necessary to help keep the leg webbings squared away.

With pin tuck details I never thought these were standard rebel-issue, but more likely just some civvies she happen to be wearing when they caught up with her. Since another manufacturer already has Red Tag and Orange Tag products, I assume the next color available in the spectrum would be Yellow Tag.

I am looking forward to all of the interpretation of the props and costumes I expect to see over the next few weeks. I am always interested in what people produce prior to the “visual references” becoming available. Like a magic trick, once you see how it is done it seems simple.

Pin Tucks.JPGPant Front.JPG

This is the best picture of the scarf fabric to date. It almost looks like a yarn dyed/two tone/ chambray type thing.

Looks like my scarf, almost! Mine is a poly/cotton blend, and it started out solid black. I used Rit color remover on it, and I think what happened is that it removed the color just from the cotton fibers and not the poly, which gives it this slightly two-toned look. My fabric is too tightly woven to be perfect, but I'm going to try ageing it down a bit more by putting it in the dryer with some old shoes to soften it up more. Photo in bright direct sunlight:
IMG_2513_zpsqtargaku.jpg

Photos in indirect sunlight next to a window: on the left, natural, the other three are various in-camera filters showing how it color-shifts.

scarf%20colors_zps5t1jhe8x.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back