ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

I got the natural ones. Easier to go darker than lighter.

Very true. Now to figure out sizing... hrm. Girl hands make this harder.

ALSO I am looking again at her gloves and it looks like they just replaced the strap on them entirely. they got rid of the hole and the embroidered logo, added snap and stitching - no way they could have done all of that with the original strap.

Last edited:
Do we think hers are the butter colored that have been weathered/dyed? Or do we think they're the black?

- - - Updated - - -

There's certainly not one on the front. unless those sets of rivets on her right are actually snaps and not just decorative?

EDITED:

Maybe not. That image of her from behind seems to suggest there's a clasp of some sort on her right side. And the rivets on the front arent' laying like there's two pieces of leather meeting there.

There's definitely something going on closure-wise her side, but it's hard to tell exactly what:

star-wars-rogue-one-canary-wharf.jpg

Very true. Now to figure out sizing... hrm. Girl hands make this harder.

ALSO I am looking again at her gloves and it looks like they just replaced the strap on them entirely. they got rid of the hole and the embroidered logo, added snap and stitching - no way they could have done all of that with the original strap.

I have skinny long girl hands, too. (7" wide, 7.5" long.) The XS pair I have are a little bit wide and a bit short, so if you have longer fingers, you might want to go with the S.

Still need to pick up some spare goat? leather for the new wrist strap, and plan on using the original to test the stain/dye options.

I have skinny long girl hands, too. (7" wide, 7.5" long.) The XS pair I have are a little bit wide and a bit short, so if you have longer fingers, you might want to go with the S.

Still need to pick up some spare goat? leather for the new wrist strap, and plan on using the original to test the stain/dye options.

Mine are 7.5 wide and about 6.5 long. I ended up buying the XS, which should hopefully work. I'll let you guys know when they come in. SO EXCITED. THE FIRST PIECE OF THE PUZZLE.

Do we think hers are the butter colored that have been weathered/dyed? Or do we think they're the black?

Looks like they've been weathered / softened maybe with mink oil or brown color Pecard's leather treatment (my gut tells me mink oil, but ...). I purchased the natural color gloves and have both Pecard's brown leather conditioner and mink oil. I'm going to try using the Pecards on the palms first and see how they respond. the difficult part will be creating a wrist gather that matches. Looks like I'll have another trip to the Tandy shop once the gloves arrive.

Ahh, this thread! Exactly why I just popped by.. I've only watched the trailer about 10 times now, and decided her costume would be amazing to make. There's some interesting speculation about how Jyn fits into the overall plot of the new trilogy as well which could be fantastic. I won't go into that, but was originally going to wear my Rey to the premiere...now I'm not sure! I hope there's an affordable way I can put this together by December.

You all have some great resources so far. I'll probably start a Pinterest board like I did for Rey if anyone wants the link. Might be fun to do a collaboration too. I found that was a good way to keep the ideas from the original Rey thread organized for my build. Definitely updating the first post will help too :) Great work so far!!! I hope to contribute in the coming weeks and months.

Ahh, this thread! Exactly why I just popped by.. I've only watched the trailer about 10 times now, and decided her costume would be amazing to make. There's some interesting speculation about how Jyn fits into the overall plot of the new trilogy as well which could be fantastic. I won't go into that, but was originally going to wear my Rey to the premiere...now I'm not sure! I hope there's an affordable way I can put this together by December.

You all have some great resources so far. I'll probably start a Pinterest board like I did for Rey if anyone wants the link. Might be fun to do a collaboration too. I found that was a good way to keep the ideas from the original Rey thread organized for my build. Definitely updating the first post will help too :) Great work so far!!! I hope to contribute in the coming weeks and months.

I've cut out her jacket, and I'm just doing her vest, top, pants, shoes, neck wrap, belt, and gloves as a way to go a bit easier on my wallet. Maybe that might be the way to go for you too. I'll also be wearing mine in September at Dragoncon so the less layers for me the better. xD

Could also be just regular draw-strings. Does remind me of a sleeved molex connector, though... except for the right-angle.

Oooh. That slider buckle on each pants leg is the same as the adjustment buckle of the X-wing pilot's flak vest. A very common type.
Oh great! One of these guys?

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 8.34.43 am.png

This shot from Laubi's toy fair album is great for detail on the vest - looks like it's got an orange (Rebel pilot orange, maybe?) lining, and those "cables" on the placket are definitely rubber. The two darker brown tabs, which I thought were pocket flaps, look like velcro?

And there are two vertical lines of top-stitching/basting on each side of the vest, too.

Spielwarenmesse_046.jpg

There's certainly not one on the front. unless those sets of rivets on her right are actually snaps and not just decorative?

EDITED:

Maybe not. That image of her from behind seems to suggest there's a clasp of some sort on her right side. And the rivets on the front arent' laying like there's two pieces of leather meeting there.

I don't see anything buckle/closure wise on the front, back, or holster side. Maybe the left side is a set of 4 snaps, I hadn't thought about that..........

Dave

BINGO! Looks like the closure is at the back, on the left - you can just catch it in the trailer:

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 11.03.53 am.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 11.03.53 am.png

I think the groups of four rivets --there are some at the back and some at the front-- are decorative...?

IMG_3574.JPG

Got the first stash of materials to work with today. Dark blueish grey thick textured fabric for the pants (photographs more blue than it reads in person), dark blue cotton with a slight sheen for the shirt, rust colored fabric for the vest, 2" leather strip for the belt, rivets, and leather for the gloves. I can't wait to get started putting this together!

Have updated the first post with all the helpful links --galleries, prop and costume matches-- so far. Will try and do this every Sunday (AEST, haha) so it's easy to keep track of it all :)

I'm an idiot. I meant left side. I'm terrible with my left and my right. xD

I didn't mean it like that, you are far from an idiot! Sorry if it came across like that :)

Dave

- - - Updated - - -

BINGO! Looks like the closure is at the back, on the left - you can just catch it in the trailer:

View attachment 613085
View attachment 613086

I think the groups of four rivets --there are some at the back and some at the front-- are decorative...?

Now I REALLY want to see that left side. I just cant see the belt being held closed with snaps only, that just seems like trouble, especially with the action shots we have seen. I wonder if that is a side release or Han style with the leather looped through and then snapped onto itself, kind of like the Han rig?

Dave

Now I REALLY want to see that left side. I just cant see the belt being held closed with snaps only, that just seems like trouble, especially with the action shots we have seen. I wonder if that is a side release or Han style with the leather looped through and then snapped onto itself, kind of like the Han rig?
Dave
From my experience making belts, that's possible - if the end is skived enough and the strap is well cased, you can get a fold/loop to sit pretty flat.

OR, there's some sort of 'hook and eye' fastening.

OR, is it possible it has no fastening at all? Just loops over the body like a bandolier (etc)?? I'm running out of ideas.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back