ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

Hi all - anybody have any luck figuring out what the tonfa hook on Jyn's belt looks like? I haven't found any photos that really points it out.

Hi all - anybody have any luck figuring out what the tonfa hook on Jyn's belt looks like? I haven't found any photos that really points it out.

It's a WWII German dagger hanger. Don't have any reference pictures handy, but it's the same hook used all over her Eadu costume.

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone is interested, the Jyn Erso costume standard is up for discussion over at the Rebel Legion: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81534

Here are couple of photos of the tonfa hanger.

Eadu Tonfa Hook.pngScreen Shot 2016-04-11 at 12.08.46 AM.png

The first is hanging from her bandolier and the second from her belt. The belt hanger is obscured but seems to be the same as the bandolier.

Do we think her vest is really nylon though? It behaves/looks much more like a cotton. And ooo thanks for the tip!

I think it's much more likely to be a cotton. My first vest was made of a nylon-like material because that's what the first teaser trailer made it look like, but after seeing the costume in person at SDCC I realized it was a cotton or cotton-like material. I remade the costume in cotton and compared my vest in person to the costume on display at the premiere and the fabric looked right.

Until we get official confirmation from Lucasfilm about the materials like we did for the Eadu costume though, I think the specific material could be left out of the standard. It's too bad that her main costume is on display at the El Capitan theater in LA but the materials list they provided shows info about the Eadu costume.

I think it's much more likely to be a cotton. My first vest was made of a nylon-like material because that's what the first teaser trailer made it look like, but after seeing the costume in person at SDCC I realized it was a cotton or cotton-like material. I remade the costume in cotton and compared my vest in person to the costume on display at the premiere and the fabric looked right.

Until we get official confirmation from Lucasfilm about the materials like we did for the Eadu costume though, I think the specific material could be left out of the standard. It's too bad that her main costume is on display at the El Capitan theater in LA but the materials list they provided shows info about the Eadu costume.

Gotcha. Yeah. I just saw that and went wait... But good. It didn't seem like it'd make too much sense, considering how much of her Jedha is natural fibers. Thank you for responding so quickly!

Gotcha. Yeah. I just saw that and went wait... But good. It didn't seem like it'd make too much sense, considering how much of her Jedha is natural fibers. Thank you for responding so quickly!

Yeah actually that's another good point. Rebel costumes are almost always made of natural fibers.

- - - Updated - - -

The front of the vest almost looks "waxed" like the Australian duster coats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This seems more likely to me than the vest being made out of nylon. We do know that her Eadu "concho" is waxed, so they might have done the same thing with her vest.

How is it that I have spend probably over 40 hours watching trailers for a 2-hour movie? Going back again this time I was looking for evidence for the blouse sleeves to be two-piece tailored sleeves. I believe this screen capture provides that evidence.

Evidence of Two Piece Blouse Seam - Left Arm.png

Also in the Rebel Legion proposed standards, the blouse is defined as having what i call the bib "inset" into the front frame. I believe the Disney Costume design and also perhaps some of my own comments and patterns may have spread this possible error. I believe the bib overlays the front and back pieces of the shirt and is NOT inset behind the frame. The best photo I use to support this detail is the following;

BibSeaming.png

I believe the bib may be comprised of two pieces sewn right-sides together and then turned right-side out. This bib is then top-stitched to the neck opening of the front and back pieces. As always I am interested in other evidence to the contrary.

Also in the Rebel Legion proposed standards, the blouse is defined as having what i call the bib "inset" into the front frame. I believe the Disney Costume design and also perhaps some of my own comments and patterns may have spread this possible error. I believe the bib overlays the front and back pieces of the shirt and is NOT inset behind the frame. The best photo I use to support this detail is the following;

View attachment 691519

I believe the bib may be comprised of two pieces sewn right-sides together and then turned right-side out. This bib is then top-stitched to the neck opening of the front and back pieces. As always I am interested in other evidence to the contrary.

Ive got to agree. It seems it's top stitched down at nearly all of the seams where it meets the opening.

Ive got to agree. It seems it's top stitched down at nearly all of the seams where it meets the opening.
Actually looked like the whole thing was top stitched around the shirt when I saw the movie again tonight. Tried to get a better look today, and seems you're on the right track there

Here are couple of photos of the tonfa hanger.

The first is hanging from her bandolier and the second from her belt. The belt hanger is obscured but seems to be the same as the bandolier.

Something I was thinking was- is the Tonfa hanger what she uses to hang the plans on later in the movie?

On the back of the belt...

Something I was thinking was- is the Tonfa hanger what she uses to hang the plans on later in the movie?

On the back of the belt...
That would actually make a lot of sense! I was wondering where that part suddenly came from on the belt, but it's definitely close to the gun holster, so that's absolutely a possibility. Though the shape might be off a bit. A bit bigger

Last edited:
I don't think so. The baton clip is small and closes, while the hook that she hangs the plans on is much larger and open.

I just couldn't figure out where it came from and since her tonfa was gone by that time I thought maybe. Theoretically, if the clip was opened it might act like the hook? Need to rewatch for that I think.

I don't think so. The baton clip is small and closes, while the hook that she hangs the plans on is much larger and open.
Might be one of those magic additions that comes at a good time. It's pretty big so you cant really hide it either

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back