ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

I finished my scarf (aside from weathering it). I used a piece of fabric 30 inches wide and 4 yards long. The curve starts approximately 48" inches from the ends of the scarf. On the straight edge, I did a rolled hem approximately 1/2" wide (so 1" total hem allowance); the curved side has the edge turned over 1/4" ish and then folded up to make a 2" hem - I eyeballed the measurements but followed the original's pattern. The original also has a seam about 1/3 of the way up (left shoulder) as if the scarf had been lengthened, but I left it out. Here's the basic pattern:
Jyn%20scarf%20pattern_zps2bd0glbj.png

And here's my scarf. I think this was some kind of polyester cotton blend - it has a good weight and stiffness, but the original has a looser weave. I'm also going to try to fade it a bit - it looks greyer in full sunlight, but it's still pretty dark. Also shown is my "close enough for now" jacket, which is a thrift store find. All I had to do was shorten the hem and remove the buttons and pockets. I'll add the sleeve stripes and dye it to the proper color once I can determine what the proper color is!
IMG_2445_zpsyr71q78g.jpg
IMG_2449_zpstgiopofn.jpg

Last edited:
With access to new photos from SWCE here are some updated tonfa observation. These changes relate to one of my earlier posts and the associated diagram. (EDIT: The earlier post was #129 in this thread.)

The end cap does not have an outside bevel and is thinner than originally indicated
The end cap does not have a fillet connecting and supporting the vertical and horizontal plates.

The main baton was fabricated with a surface treatment similar to the rubber mat I referenced. In the SWCE photos you can see a mismatched seam running down the length of the baton.

This surface treatment does not exist under the baton's handle allowing the handle to lie closer to the main baton.

The photos also provided new information. The baton is attached to the new bandolier with a clip. This type of attachment would be typical and practical when transporting the weapon securely (like at a convention). This style differs from what we saw in the earlier photos which was an open ended hook. A hook would allow for more rapid deployment. It is still not clear if that hook was a part of the belt and holster or also used some type of clip such as that used with a concealed carry holster.

Last edited:
First, I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this board. We got our Jyn finished in time for Comic Con. My daughter will post some high def pictures she took of the classic Jyn outfit which was on display there. I wanted to point out three things that struck me while studying the outfit.
1. The clothes are very much color corrected in the film.
2. The pin tucks in her pants narrow as they go down to the ankle. The tucks appears to to half as close to each other at the bottom hem as they are in the top section near the buckles.
3. There is a flat felled seam running down the right side of the shirt from the yoke to the hem line. It starts at where the cross over front yoke connects to the body front but does not appear to be anything more than decorative. As best as I could tell, there was not a corresponding one on the left side.

There is a flat felled seam running down the right side of the shirt from the yoke to the hem line. ... As best as I could tell, there was not a corresponding one on the left side.

I had to check a pair of jeans just to confirm my thinking about Jakujunker’s observation. The seaming reported is the same as you see in one leg of a pair of jeans. When there is a flat-felled seam on one side, the other seam uses a straight stitch to close the circle. For a long seam length on a narrow “tube” I do not think you can easily produce a flat-fell seam on the other side (with a home sewing machine). You need to keep the fabric from the other side of the “circle of fabric” from getting in the way. At some length (approaching the diameter of the leg or shirt opening) you cannot go any further. With a shirt there is a much larger opening and a shorter seam so it might be possible to do a flat-fell seam on both sides of the blouse but it would be more work. Why it was even done on one side is interesting. Just as an aside I understand some jean companies put the flat-fell as the outside seam and some as the inside. The Wrangler brand puts it on the outside so the heavier seam does not become uncomfortable for riders because they use their thighs to help guide their mounts. (Nothing to do with Jyn, but just one of those garment construction facts that got stuck in my brain.) As always I am interested in what others think as I am always looking understand how to improve my craftsmanship.

Looking at these photos, I remembered thinking that the mannequin used for Jyn was much taller than the actress herself so all the proportions were off in terms of jacket and vest length.

Viewed in person, the jacket looked green and the stripes appeared tan with a yellow undertone. However, when they displayed the toy, it had a very blue light over it and appeared to be closer to color corrected version seen in the trailers. As you can see from my two photos of teh same toy, lighting makes all teh difference. The one on the left looks color corrected while the one of the right looks truer to the pieces on display.

thumb_IMG_7691_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_7688_1024.jpg

For those who are interested, here is my take on the Right Front Side of Jyn Erso’s Vest. The attached PDF is ¼ Scale. It can be printed on Legal Size paper. I am using ¼” thick cotton batting to pad the vest so I am showing the cut lines for both the face fabric and the padding.

I have also included the lines for the (horizontal) topstitching and (vertical) hand quilting for the batting. I have highlighted some specific horizontal lines as they are important for placement. In my tests I marked these with painter tape to ensure straight and accurate parallel lines and then used the presser foot edge (which provides a 1 cm spacing) for the others. Following the presser foot provided sufficient accuracy but the tape still provided a method to avoid magnifying any errors along the way. I will machine topstitched the face, then quilt in the batting, and finally add the additional elements as they overlay both sets of stitching in the final vest.

If there is interest I can provide a full size PDF which will fit into the width of a legal page. The resulting 3 sheets of paper, with all of the parallel lines, is easy to cut and reassemble into the full pattern as a starting point for your own sizing adjustments. As always comments and critiques are welcome.

View attachment Jyn Erso Vest. RF.pdf

This thread is so helpful! First off, here are more photos from Celebration on Facebook or Flickr. I tried to get a lot of the detail shots of the poncho and accessories, and that tonfa/baton thing.

Secondly, have we decided black for her pants or just a really dark gray? I think the print detail that they are mentioning is the little rectangles on the straps just below the knees. You can see it here. It almost kinda looks like a bleached portion rather than the raised puff paint some people were mentioning.

Hi,

i tried to grab some pics of the Jyn costume at SWCE but it was damned difficult with the lighting, the glass and the fact that they were much further away than the troopers. Real shame. All the Rebel team pics can be found at the Photobucket album located at:

http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/Ian_Reach/library/SWCE - RO - Rebels?sort=3&page=1

I hope that there are some points / details that help. Unfortunately, with the the poncho on, the jacket and undershirt details could not be seen. Also the angle of the dummy in the glass box on the stage made it difficult to get good shots of the boots etc.

Best,
Yutani Exec

Thank you for sharing these! I'll post took some pictures at SDCC soon. Not especially great either but hopefully they will be helpful.

Looks like we've finally got the full view of Jyn's chest pocket greeblie from this photo you took:

Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 5.31.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-07-28 at 5.32.26 PM.png

Here's the link to the photos I took at SDCC:

http://s1043.photobucket.com/user/spectreseven/library/Rogue One SDCC

They kept us a ways back from the costumes and I don't have a great zoom on my camera, but hopefully these are helpful. The person from Lucasfilm who set the display up said that the costumes were screen-used and came directly from set.

Here are some notes I took while viewing the costume in person:
-- There is a red undertone to the belt that peeks through in areas where it has been weathered. The same is true for the boots. This was surprising since I haven't noticed this in any other photo or video of Jyn.
-- The boots are brown
-- The vertical stitches going down the vest looked white
-- The commpad looks more dark gray than black
-- The Correllian bloodstripe going down the jacket is definitely printed, not sewn, and it is somewhat shiny in person. It's somewhere between a cream and a yellow.
-- The shirt is a blue-grey linen-like fabric. Definitely not as navy as it appears on film, but not as gray as it has appeared in some other photos.
-- The snaps are just basic flat, round snaps. I believe that the snaps on my belt were 3/16", and they seemed a touch too small compared to the ones on her belt.
-- The vest is light brown. Much lighter than it appears on film.
-- The pants are a dark blue with greyish/blackish undertones.

Last edited:
Also, here are a couple of shots of my Jyn costume from SDCC:

IMG_7694.jpgIMG_7698.jpg

The pants color actually turned out to be a pretty close match for Jyn's. My vest photographs more brown or burnt orange depending on the lighting. It could probably be lighter, but I might wait to experiment with that. The scarf color could probably be more gray and it shouldn't be stretch fabric. Also ended up way too short, so I'll fix that with the second version.

The shirt matches the color we see in photos and clips of Jyn but it's too navy compared to the costume in person, so I might remake that at some point. Same problem with the gloves -- pretty good match for the color edited version, but Jyn's gloves in person are a light tan. I actually think it's possible that they just took the yellow coloring off of the Black Diamond gloves and then they didn't redye them. Another interesting note from SDCC was that the gloves are not restitched with a thicker waxed thread, which I was sure was the case from the photos from Nuremberg. Unfortunately, I went off those photos and dyed the gloves and restiched them so I'll probably need to remake those at some point.

I still need to do the boots, and sculpt the greeblies from her pocket. I'm waiting to make the holster until someone starts 3D printing Jyn's blaster. So there's still a bit of work to do but I'm pretty happy with version 1 of the costume.

What color is everyone using for the scarf? In person it reads taupe but in the sizzle reel and teaser trailer it looks anywhere from dark brown to blue/green depending on the shot. And on the toy it's a light grey/blue. Not sure which direction to take it at this point.

Looks like we've finally got the full view of Jyn's chest pocket greeblie from this photo you took:
EDIT: Since my original post in July there have been more detailed photos and the release of the Visual Guide. What I call the Code Cylinder here and in other post is now identified as a Crozo 2-MAL personal comlink. There are a few changes required to improve the attach diagrams but there are still some unknowns. Perhaps the release of the video or details from the hero props if they come out will provide the final answers.

Since Yutani Exec and spectreseven have been good enough to add some important information to the mix I decided to use their additions to produce some diagrams of the Rogue One Code Cylinder. There is one "blind" spot where we do not have complete information but I believe this combines all of the information as it currently stands. As always I am looking for other to challenge any and all of my assumptions.

View attachment Rogue One Code Cylinder.pdf
View attachment Code Cylinder Layout.pdf

Last edited:
What color is everyone using for the scarf? In person it reads taupe but in the sizzle reel and teaser trailer it looks anywhere from dark brown to blue/green depending on the shot. And on the toy it's a light grey/blue. Not sure which direction to take it at this point.

I'm aiming for a medium gray / very weathered and faded black.

spectreseven your costume looks fantastic!

Chrononaut The jacket is not a dark green, it is more of a grey green. I saw it at San Diego Comic-con. It is grey but definitely has a green hue to it though.

I was wondering if the collar might not be Mandarin and just be turned up so people could see the stitching on it, or if it was just a mistake that it was turned up. Does it look like it could be worn down? Or do you think there's not enough fabric to be worn down.

Re: BLOOD STRIPES – I spoke with one of the Disney people at the exhibit who was supposed to be in charge of the costumes and asked him to look up close at the blood stripes to tell me what they were made of, and he didn't know even when he was standing right next to it. (It was not behind glass either.) He said it didn't look stitched though. And the sign that lists what her jacket is made of says "Cotton Drill with Printed Trim Detail". There doesn't seem to be anything else printed on the jacket, so it seems it must be the blood stripes. And the blood stripes are on a strip of fabric that is sewed into the sleeve of the jacket, so to me, that would be called a piece of trim.

I have always viewed the collar on the battle jacket as a "squared mandarin collar with stitched detail". The collar is two pieces of faced fabric sewn together with the stitches (and collar interfacing) to provide a more rigid structure. I do not believe it was designed to be worn with the collar down. The other closest term if it was to be worn down would be a camp collar as there is no collar stand. With that style, having the collar lie down would require it to be worn open with the jacket fronts folded back giving it more of a "lapel" shape. This extra space by in effect lengthening the size of the effective collar and not extra fabric allows it to lie down.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back