Spartan undersuit - foam+fabric - how to keep together?

Marawuff

All RPFers and Costume Gods.
I'm working on Halo Spartan costume and I'm in the middle of doing the undersuit (it's my first build and I don't have a rich-budget and unlimited-resources - no silicone, molds and casts, etc.). I'm using a morphsuit that I'm painting but I also want to use pieces of EVA foam with it (the crotch cover).
So - here is my question, what to do - do you think it's safe and a good idea to use the E6000 glue or rather to use those snaps? (both have pros and cons - the pieces would sit tightly in place, but would be not-removeable for washing, but morphsuit is quite flexible, would the glue hold, etc. etc.)
I'd like to add multiple foam parts - the crotch piece, shoulder pads, spinal parts, etc.
I'll appreciate any and all the help.

DSC00843.JPG

dude, that paintjob is really stellar! As for your question, I'd suggest doing some tests with scrap pieces of foam and a similar fabric to see what kind of glue sticks best. It's very rare to get these things right on the first try, so it's always best to test it on something you don't need. :)

dude, that paintjob is really stellar! As for your question, I'd suggest doing some tests with scrap pieces of foam and a similar fabric to see what kind of glue sticks best. It's very rare to get these things right on the first try, so it's always best to test it on something you don't need. :)

Thank you very much. :)

Hey man very interesting project, and it looks awesome so far! Can you maybe go into a little more detail about how you painted the underarmor? Im trying to build underarmor for my Iron Man Suit aswell.
As for attaching foam to fabric, you could connect it with velcro, that way you can dettach the foam parts if you want to wash the underarmor.

Best regards,
Flo

Great work so far. I have done foam and hot glue on fabric before and it can be hit or miss. The thing to remember with hot glue is that it can fail if it heats up again, which it is likely to do on an undersuit resting against your body. Have you considered stitching the pieces in place?

Hi everyone...I have a very similar situation...I'm working on a Aquaman Armor build and have a few pieces of EVA foam I want to attach to my green spandex leggings. I have run a few tests and Barge cement seems to hold the best. My concern is that I get one chance to do it right...and I most likely will need some sort of under protection (foil or plastic wrap) when I apply the cement in case it leaks through the material. I will need to have the leggings on...to assure the fabric is stretched prior to application of cement and foam armor. I would be curious to hear if anyone else has other ideas for this application...

I would do snaps all the way. You will find a few things that work on stretch material, but those may not work well with foam. Snaps will work through the material and can be glued to the foam pieces.

Awesome work. Honestly I would recommend using Rubber glue, it will bind nicely in the fabric and forms a nice bond on the foam. I would suggest you stuff the suit full of rags to simulate your body, so the glue/foam/cloth is stretched properly.

Other wise I would sew in a few strips of velcro into your suit then glue the other velco on the foam. I use this for my spartan/odst setup, works well.

As ever always, test test test!

Eva foam and spandex bond VERY well with E6000 glue. Just make sure you're applying it on stretched fabric (and keep it stretched until drying) and not to use too much glue.

-Nick

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back