WIP Oblivion DRONE kit

logan74k

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all - had this one kicking around in the back of my mind since the film came out, what a cool design (but the sound design really took it over the top in my opinion) and I've wanted one for my shelf since!

There are a bunch of 3d builds of the drone on the various 3d file sites, with varying degrees of accuracy, but nothing spot on or high enough resolution to 3d print without an insane amount of post process. Luckily there's a featurette on YouTube with some decent resolution blueprints from the production, and a good amount of coverage in the film and other behind the scenes productions. Another user here is making a very nice scratchbuilt drone using the same plans. Anyway, this one is mostly being built in 3d and output via various processes, then hand finished with some very fine details added.

I landed on 1/7th scale as it was big enough to reproduce the small details like the mesh on the 'face' and in the laser scanner port, but not...irresponsibly huge! Big enough to look good next to the really nice 1/6th Maintenance Technician figure released by Play Toy, which will make for a cool little display. So the model is built on a 8.25" sphere, about the size of a volleyball.

Some work in progress pics:

preview2.jpg

A part breakdown so far:

partspreview.jpg

And my scantily clad booth babe for scale of the finished piece:

scale.jpg

Lastly, as I need to make molds anyway to get clear parts and reduce the huge output costs, this is going to be a limited run kit which I'm excited about as well. Some features:
-kit will have clear parts and be light-able at the engines, eye, and laser scanner lens
-a posable eye (similar range of motion to the film) with 3/8" clear acrylic lens sphere
-brass tubing for the gun barrels
-can be built with gun turrets in any position (or closed 'ball mode')
-openable power core housing door (the octagon) with optional power core detail inside
-pivoting main thruster in back
-decal set for all the tiny text and symbols

When I started this project, I found Golden Armor had released a kit a year ago or so and at first glance thought, 'awww shoot, well that saves me a lot of trouble!' It was only after I took a closer look, not only at the gloopy details but the sandy finish and overall sadness of the whole package, not to mention the guy's rep, that got me back on track. But it does go to show that a half decent paint job and a couple lights can cover a multitude of sins from a distance. That's about all I've got for now, I'll post more as it is completed. Lots of little fiddly bits to go!

EDIT APRIL 2018

From a great suggestion I've been hearing, for the time being these are all of my best reference photos for those who have kits in hand and would like to get building. Real instructions are on my list of near-term to-do's, just below actually getting kits out to everyone who has paid! As always, if you have a specific question, feel free to PM me and I'll get it answered.

c2013-04-12-oblivion_premiere_08.jpg0293ed4557cc43b384364447291b602c.jpegTurretGears.jpgeye.jpgshot0492.jpgshot0786.jpgoblivion-movie-screencaps.com-7134.jpgoblivion-movie-screencaps.com-11593.jpgrear.jpgfront_detail2.jpggood rear shot.jpgdronegraphicquery.jpgshot1026.jpgstruts.jpg

Last edited:
I would def be interested...currently building my Oblivion rifle kit that was designed by Wondersquid. Have a few other Oblivion pieces as well.

Great to see this logan! I can tell already how much nicer yours I'd going to turn out. Are you planning on printing the main body or just some of the other details? Looking forward to seeing this come together.

Bill

Thanks guys - my panel line scribing skills are questionable at best, so the whole thing is printed. I definitely see the merit of starting with a much less expensive plastic sphere and building on, but I don't love going back and forth with primer and filler to make fillets perfect either, so the 3d route is largely trading computer work for physical labor and chemicals haha. Not that I'll get away without doing any sanding/priming, even with quality prints! Maybe we can collaborate Bill on finishing parts that will be printed, I'll PM you.

Boy time sure did fly this past couple months, it's been pretty insane finishing all the parts and getting them molded and cast. Anyway, here's the (mostly) finished kit and honestly about as many in-progress shots as I remembered to take. I'm a little ashamed by my incredibly rushed paint job to have a display ready for Wonderfest, but there you go.

IMG_8981.jpg
The kit, minus just a few bits...

20160604_120221.jpg

20160604_120438.jpg

20160605_124155.jpg
The painted up prototype - an LED dimmer is called for here...
20160521_041312.jpg
Partial assembly of the unfinished 3d printed body, complete with ribs for structure and to avoid unintentional warping.
20160524_005441.jpg20160524_005448.jpg
finished assembled body, ready for mold
20160525_214109.jpg20160525_162849.jpg
The body mold and homebrew 'rotocaster' which lets me spin in a few axes at least.
20160527_045934.jpg20160528_021639.jpg20160603_053014.jpg
The hand detailed guns, 'shoot me' port, and eye gimbal

I've still got a couple antenna pieces to create, but I feel like I'm generally through the long dark tunnel that was building, molding, and casting this thing solo! Comments and critiques are welcome! Thanks for checking it out.

Wow. Really cool project. I am trying to get a better idea as to is size- is the drone about the size of a basketball? Very nice work!

Dude! This turned out AWESOME! Much better than my scratch build. Wish I could have afforded to 3D print the body, definitely helps keep everything nice a symmetric and even. Having studied the movie version for so long , I can tell you you nailed the details. Great job. I'd be interested in a kit possibly. Any ETA of availability and rough price idea?

Bill

The sphere the drone is built on is 8.25 inches, roughly volleyball sized. That's pretty much the finished height - but with the guns and turrets out the whole assembled kit is about 13" front to back and 10 wide.

I've been catching up with orders for other kits and it will be a couple weeks before all the I's are crossed and T's dotted in terms of finished drone packages to send out. Still a couple little bits to finalize and revised decals to print. When they're ready I'll post a limited run in the Project Runs, looking at about 360 per kit. Thanks for the kind words yall!

Logan - When you post the limited kit run can you please mention it here so we'll know? Great work!

Definitely interested as well. Hope you include destructions... also ones for adding lights! That makes it extra cool!

Nice work, by the way!

Chris

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back