Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Post-release)

The only way I have seen Clark be "nerdy" is by wearing glasses. The secret identity aspect is pretty thin, he even combs his hair the same way as he does when he is Superman. I didnt see the extended cut so I cant comment on that.

See, thats kind of hard for me to believe, we dont exactly know how much of his time he has spent backpacking and working those odd jobs. Because its the information age man! And its not like Waynetech, in this universe at least, is something new, I would imagine that it has been around for a long time considering Bruce's wealth.

Dude. Thats a bit of a stretch there, I think your average person with a smart phone and an internet connection knows what those guys look like. I do. Especially Warren Buffet. He has been a big shot for ages. Jeff Bezos? Nah, he is relatively new in that regard. If these stories are set in current times, with the internet being as prominent as it is, Clark would have access to a ton of information by computer, phone, or otherwise.

Because EVERY iteration of Bruce Wayne has been in the forefront of the media. Billionaire playboy? Cmon. He is the original spotlight hog when it comes to super heroes. Iron man just turned it up to 11. Well, judging by the photographer, who basically calls out Clark, knew who the hell Bruce Wayne was, and mocked Clark for it. I doubt the photographer has the work ethic that youre describing. Clark just started that relationship, and they work at the same place. Not to mention Lois KNOWS that he is Superman. Ok maybe not moronic, how about naive?

Yeah, that would be great. Supermans cardboard speech comes into mind from JL. Just watched that the other day. That 20 second clip captured more superman than Zack Snyder could with hours and tons of money.

I wouldnt care to see that honestly. I would like to see little snippets perhaps, but nothing major that needs to revolve around it. I want to see Superman save the damn day, and people in the streets rejoicing that he is there to help.

The only way I have seen Clark be "nerdy" is by wearing glasses. The secret identity aspect is pretty thin, he even combs his hair the same way as he does when he is Superman. I didnt see the extended cut so I cant comment on that.

See, thats kind of hard for me to believe, we dont exactly know how much of his time he has spent backpacking and working those odd jobs. Because its the information age man! And its not like Waynetech, in this universe at least, is something new, I would imagine that it has been around for a long time considering Bruce's wealth.

Dude. Thats a bit of a stretch there, I think your average person with a smart phone and an internet connection knows what those guys look like. I do. Especially Warren Buffet. He has been a big shot for ages. Jeff Bezos? Nah, he is relatively new in that regard. If these stories are set in current times, with the internet being as prominent as it is, Clark would have access to a ton of information by computer, phone, or otherwise.

Because EVERY iteration of Bruce Wayne has been in the forefront of the media. Billionaire playboy? Cmon. He is the original spotlight hog when it comes to super heroes. Iron man just turned it up to 11. Well, judging by the photographer, who basically calls out Clark, knew who the hell Bruce Wayne was, and mocked Clark for it. I doubt the photographer has the work ethic that youre describing. Clark just started that relationship, and they work at the same place. Not to mention Lois KNOWS that he is Superman. Ok maybe not moronic, how about naive?

Yeah, that would be great. Supermans cardboard speech comes into mind from JL. Just watched that the other day. That 20 second clip captured more superman than Zack Snyder could with hours and tons of money.

I wouldnt care to see that honestly. I would like to see little snippets perhaps, but nothing major that needs to revolve around it. I want to see Superman save the damn day, and people in the streets rejoicing that he is there to help.

Naive, I'll accept that. We've actually seen that this Clark is quite naive about a lot of stuff, even to the point of arrogance I'd argue "She's safe on the ground, how about you?"

The guy doesnt mock him for it (I didnt take it that way anyway), he just says (probably accurately) that Clark must be new to the let them eat cake beat.

I do think we sometimes project too much onto character knowledge though. I do think it could have easily gone a similar way with Clark already knowing, I'm not being awkward about that btw. Just that I can also believe that he doesn't know.

I think it was pretty clear cut in MoS about his backpacking and such. From between Jonathan dying and us catching up to current day, it's shown that he assumes multiple identities, works multiple jobs and every time ends up saving someone and intervening at his own cost, and having to move on under other assumed identities etc. And always in relatively remote locations. Lois uses the breadcrumb trail to track him back to Smallville and the Kent farm.

I want the public adoration angle too. One of my favourite moments of Superman Returns was the plane catch in the baseball stadium.

In the extended edition, among a few additional shots of the public (in their homes etc) reacting to certain things, there is also a full montage shown of the city almost emptied when they go to pay their respects to the fallen Superman. I already know how you feel about it all, but just to let you know, there are some of those type moments there (adoration/mourning being equal in the positive feeling). We get to see how his sacrifice has affected the public more.

Wearing glasses doesnt make you "nerdy". Thats what you dont get about superman/clark kent. Its misdirection. Can you imagine walking up to someone and them not knowing who Bill Gates was? Same thing with Clark not knowing who Bruce Wayne is. Its funny cause he is supposed to be a reporter.

LensCrafters... aka "Superhero Disguise Store".
As stupid as it is that nobody can make the connection, I'm surprised that Warner/Snyder didn't take creative liberties to come up with something to make the whole disguise thing more "real"... like giving Superman shape shift abilities or something.

I just assume he doesn't know Wayne because in BvS he's still new to the job. What's the lapse in time between the two movies? 9 months?
I'm not sure how much of a household name Wayne and his company's products are. I wouldn't recognize Elon Musk or Tim Cook if I ran over them with my car. Sure, Bill Gates stands out... he IS a household name, or at least was in the late 90's. I doubt my kids would know who he is.

...they showcase Perry's opinion of Clark at multiple points (extended cut more so)

DCEU Clark has spent a lot of his adult life backpacking and working random jobs in remote locations - people at the planet refer to him as Smallville still (and the usual intepretation there is that there is a small town knowledge base/comes from a smaller area and is here in the big city etc).

Not sure if you're implying that the staff knows he spent a lo tof his adult life backpacking and working random jobs... I don't think the people at the Planet know he did all that though. This would be another flaw in the story writing... since Lois was doing all the investigating and following Superman's trail that lead her to Smallville. Clark went by aliases when he was doing this, but she was telling Perry about all this when she was doing the story. Then, at the end of MoS... Clark shows up at the Planet. If they knew Clark was the world traveler it would make it even more ridiculous that they couldn't make the connection.

If he's never come across Waynetech stuff before on a case or otherwise, why should he have to know who Bruce Wayne is, and by sight??

Do you think your average reporter would recognise Tim Cook as they stepped out of a car? Perhaps. Warren Buffet? Maybe. Jeff Bezos? Doubt it. A reporter only two years into a job that is moved around various stories multiple times (that's a story weakness I think, but I'm not fully au fait with newspaper stuff) who is told to cover sports, and only to cover the Gala thing because he's specifically requested?

Why would you assume Bruce Wayne is in the same fame bracket as Bill Gates? Warren Buffet and Jeff Bezos are another of the few richest people in America too if thats the angle, dya think average people would recognize them on sight? We don't actually know a ton about Bruce Wayne and how he's known to the public in the DCEU now that I'm thinking about it.

Agreed. Just like, if I worked for a newspaper as a business columnist.... should I recognize all of the athletes that the sports section writes about?
I think Snikt gives people too much credit. Unless they portray Wayne as being all over the tabloids or as a Kardashian, it's possible he might not be a standout rich guy.
Trump, Gates, Zuckerberg, and Jobs are probably the most recognizable to me. Bezos, Cook, Buffet... not so much.

However... if they played up Luthor as being instantly recognizable I'd have a harder time with him not knowing who Wayne is. Obviously the Luthor in this movie inherited his wealth and business from his father. So Wayne should be a lot more recognizable than Lex.

On the subject of Wayne's recognizability, I wish they had taken him the direction the Arkham games did and made him a bit of an outspoken public activist, in BvS's case he would be standing up to recall the Black Zero event and discussing what Superman means for the world stage. I feel like he should be a household name and face, with Wayne Enterprises being a huge company.

Fawbish Hey man we agree on something! Hell yeah! I think thats what, like, the second time?! haha. Cheers.
Father Im not saying you need to recognize EVERYONE in the business world, but thats why I said Bill Gates. Even though he isnt in the spotlight, he is still the richest man in the world and is very much still in the public eye. Thats how Bruce Wayne is portrayed in almost every instance, the cartoons, movies, most of the comics. Im not saying you would recognize every athlete, but you sure as hell know what Tom Brady looks like, or Joe Montana? Im talking upper eschelon here. Bruce effing Wayne. And since Zack Snyder has such a hard on for Batman, should be interesting to see what he does with him in JL considering BvS was mostly B anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Fawbish Hey man we agree on something! Hell yeah! I think thats what, like, the second time?! haha. Cheers.
@Father Im not saying you need to recognize EVERYONE in the business world, but thats why I said Bill Gates. Even though he isnt in the spotlight, he is still the richest man in the world and is very much still in the public eye. Thats how Bruce Wayne is portrayed in almost every instance, the cartoons, movies, most of the comics. Im not saying you would recognize every athlete, but you sure as hell know what Tom Brady looks like, or Joe Montana? Im talking upper eschelon here. Bruce effing Wayne. And since Zack Snyder has such a hard on for Batman, should be interesting to see what he does with him in JL considering BvS was mostly B anyway.

Once again... and this is my opinion.... bad writing/directing if the intent is that Wayne was supposed to be a household name in BvS. It seems like a very gray area on what his public/social status is in the Snyder-verse.

Once again... and this is my opinion.... bad writing/directing if the intent is that Wayne was supposed to be a household name in BvS. It seems like a very gray area on what his public/social status is in the Snyder-verse.

Im with you on that, the writing was abysmal. Have you watched the How it should have ended?

They knew clark would be seen as supes and they did absolutely nothing to change that or fix it. Its just plane lazy and insulting the version of clark we got.

Even at the end front page news of supes dead ? But no picture of him... Turn page and daily planet seem to of lost one of their own and what do you know, a picture of clark kent. So no pic of superman on cover but a pic of clark. Because it would have looked stupid and they knew it. Superman on cover then his doppelganger a page in lmfao. Both dead ?? My question us why not just run with a pic of superman anyway. You already insulted everyone in to trying to make thenselves believe that no one can connect those dots in that universe. It was just plane crap through and through no matter how you try to dress it.

They knew clark would be seen as supes and they did absolutely nothing to change that or fix it. Its just plane lazy and insulting the version of clark we got.

Even at the end front page news of supes dead ? But no picture of him... Turn page and daily planet seem to of lost one of their own and what do you know, a picture of clark kent. So no pic of superman on cover but a pic of clark. Because it would have looked stupid and they knew it. Superman on cover then his doppelganger a page in lmfao. Both dead ?? My question us why not just run with a pic of superman anyway. You already insulted everyone in to trying to make thenselves believe that no one can connect those dots in that universe. It was just plane crap through and through no matter how you try to dress it.

No one can connect the dots..? And yet in this canon, as opposed to a lot of other Superman stories, Lois and Lex figured it out on their own? How is that insulting, that they've portrayed characters as more capable in some respects than their (usual) comic counter parts?

If anything, the problem that you seem to have probably lies in the fact that the film never stipulated that there were direct photographs of Superman anywhere - which in this realistic world setting is probably a larger issue to me than normal people (just like they do in every other iteration of Superman) not connecting Clark Kent to Superman. Even in the Batcave, the footage that Batman had playing on the screens was blurry and distant. We could choose to believe that this is because Clark doesn't allow his photo to be taken (but I would not believe that he could prevent any being taken, so this theory has weakness).

If we can accept that there are people out there even in the small pool of celebrities (let alone the millions of millions in cities) such as Will Ferrell and Chad Smith, even if someone noticed and pointed it out (as has been done in many iterations of Superman) why would they immediately think "Yep, definitely Superman." The whole point is that it takes someone fairly special/dedicated to prove it/find out, as evidenced by Lois and Lex.

No one can connect the dots..? And yet in this canon, as opposed to a lot of other Superman stories, Lois and Lex figured it out on their own? How is that insulting, that they've portrayed characters as more capable in some respects than their (usual) comic counter parts?

If anything, the problem that you seem to have probably lies in the fact that the film never stipulated that there were direct photographs of Superman anywhere - which in this realistic world setting is probably a larger issue to me than normal people (just like they do in every other iteration of Superman) not connecting Clark Kent to Superman. Even in the Batcave, the footage that Batman had playing on the screens was blurry and distant. We could choose to believe that this is because Clark doesn't allow his photo to be taken (but I would not believe that he could prevent any being taken, so this theory has weakness).

If we can accept that there are people out there even in the small pool of celebrities (let alone the millions of millions in cities) such as Will Ferrell and Chad Smith, even if someone noticed and pointed it out (as has been done in many iterations of Superman) why would they immediately think "Yep, definitely Superman." The whole point is that it takes someone fairly special/dedicated to prove it/find out, as evidenced by Lois and Lex.

How does it take someone special to figure it out.
Thats ludicrous. And thats not the only thing that bothered me. 90% of the film bothered me.

My point is that the take on clark is crap.
And of course they would have pictures of him. And if they were so rare to obtain then you wouldn't of seen a bunch of hands up trying to touch a "god" you would have seen a bunch of hands up with smart phones like at a concert.

And being that superman has always tried to hide his identity from the get go, its tarded that he rocks the same hair do the same facial expressions and the same stance as when he is superman.

If you're going off lex being a special genius for connecting the dots then you have to go off of lex being a complete moron for not connecting those dots on an initial meet and greet.

And it would be a no brainer that the DP would have high res pics of superman.

How does it take someone special to figure it out.
Thats ludicrous. And thats not the only thing that bothered me. 90% of the film bothered me.

My point is that the take on clark is crap.
And of course they would have pictures of him. And if they were so rare to obtain then you wouldn't of seen a bunch of hands up trying to touch a "god" you would have seen a bunch of hands up with smart phones like at a concert.

And being that superman has always tried to hide his identity from the get go, its tarded that he rocks the same hair do the same facial expressions and the same stance as when he is superman.

If you're going off lex being a special genius for connecting the dots then you have to go off of lex being a complete moron for not connecting those dots on an initial meet and greet.

And it would be a no brainer that the DP would have high res pics of superman.

I agree that the pictures of Supes would/should exist. HD stills though? Bit more rare I'd think. But I don't believe that any random would simply figure out who he is just like that, just because Clark tends to play the straight laced guy at work who bears a resemblance to Superman. Someone might make the connection sure, and they could even weave that into a further storyline at some point.

The day of the dead scene is a semi religious/ritualistic festival where people believe or choose to pretend that the dead are visiting the living for warmth and family. On top of that, a fire has broken out causing panic and fear - a person is about to die because no one can get in to save her. And then suddenly HE is there. The Superman. He brings the daughter to her mother and gently gives her back the person that is most precious to her. That is a serious event, almost religious/awe inspiring in its nature. So I don't imagine that crowds first thought is "gotta take a selfie", it is "thank you for saving her" and gratitude as they see this powerful alien/man helping them.

You do realise Lex figured out who Superman is way before meeting him, right?

Not gonna change your mind, just discussing it.

I agree that the pictures of Supes would/should exist. HD stills though? Bit more rare I'd think. But I don't believe that any random would simply figure out who he is just like that, just because Clark tends to play the straight laced guy at work who bears a resemblance to Superman. Someone might make the connection sure, and they could even weave that into a further storyline at some point.

The day of the dead scene is a semi religious/ritualistic festival where people believe or choose to pretend that the dead are visiting the living for warmth and family. On top of that, a fire has broken out causing panic and fear - a person is about to die because no one can get in to save her. And then suddenly HE is there. The Superman. He brings the daughter to her mother and gently gives her back the person that is most precious to her. That is a serious event, almost religious/awe inspiring in its nature. So I don't imagine that crowds first thought is "gotta take a selfie", it is "thank you for saving her" and gratitude as they see this powerful alien/man helping them.

You do realise Lex figured out who Superman is way before meeting him, right?

Not gonna change your mind, just discussing it.

I understand what you are saying and YES to most common people it may not trigger a connection. But he works at the DP and a scoop like supermans true identity would be an epic scoop to say the least. If he played clark in a way that someone could think HEY, clark looks a bit like superman. Nah, couldnt be clark. Look at him. There is no room for that with the cavill clark. There is literally NOTHING that he gives you to make you go back off of the thought of it being him. Because he plays him in a suit and glasses. He doesnt play clark. This is my whole entire point on this subject.

Yes i know lex learns of his identity much earlier. But its not from being a genius. And jesse luthor was no genius. An annoying wanna be riddler at best.

Day of the dead. Thats a huge call playing it like no one would pull out a phone and snag a shot. Thats a massive call. How are shots even taken OF the day of the dead ?? You see ppl taking pix during that event every year.

Yes, the die hard religious people would be there for the event and not to take pictures. But realistically superman woukd be alien to their belief not a god! And are you trying to tell me that everyone would be insync with the mindset of not taking a picture. Hell no. Someone in the crowed was money hungry. Someone in the crowd was excited to see supes and would of pulled out the smart phone in an instant and somebody in the crowd would have already been recording the event let alone the reporters recording what "clark" seen on TV.

The clark cavill plays is LAME. and does NOT in any way shape or form try to hide his true identity. And its insane that we are meant to believe that not a single reporter or worker aside from lois has connected the dots.
It would have been good to see him play clark i dont know, ahhh, differently than he plays superman i guess....

And to the common ppl... They would have connected those dots had they ran a picture of superman on the cover and then they flip a page to see clark amd both of them are coincidentally identical and dead ??

Thats my point. Thats why he isnt on the cover shot. They knew it would look stupid. Oh and thats going off of the idea that no one has seen a picture of superman. Which is bat s crazy....

Youre giving the writers too much credit Fawbish. Lex and Lois figured it out due to lazy writing, otherwise they would have shown how they did it.

Youre giving the writers too much credit Fawbish. Lex and Lois figured it out due to lazy writing, otherwise they would have shown how they did it.

Lois figured it out through investigative reporting of a guy helping people in extraordinary ways.

Lex figured it out because... well, who knows... they forgot to write that into the story like a lot of other things.

Lois figured it out through investigative reporting of a guy helping people in extraordinary ways.

Lex figured it out because... well, who knows... they forgot to write that into the story like a lot of other things.
I think Lex figured it out because he is brilliant. He's unbalanced but many brilliant people are not exactly all there. Just because Lex doesn't meet the standards of some detracters doesn't mean the character is not toting some brain power.

As for Superman's alter ego, anyone who couldn't tell that Clark was Superman in any iteration of the story is a compete idiot. That has always been the weakest part of the story and I'm hoping they jettison it entirely.

I think Lex figured it out because he is brilliant. He's unbalanced but many brilliant people are not exactly all there. Just because Lex doesn't meet the standards of some detracters doesn't mean the character is not toting some brain power.

As for Superman's alter ego, anyone who couldn't tell that Clark was Superman in any iteration of the story is a compete idiot. That has always been the weakest part of the story and I'm hoping they jettison it entirely.

See, that doesnt work. Its like the writers count on the audience knowing that Clark is Superman so when Lex shows that he knows, some people are fine with it because THEY know, and that is hack, crap writing.

Jettison it entirely? Should Bruce Wayne reveal to the world that he is Batman? That didnt work out too well for Iron Man. I like the alter ego, and its part of the mythos of Superman. Besides, if he was always on as Superman, he would be bothered constantly. I mean he has the fortress of solitude, but I dont think he would want to be there constantly. The alter ego thing works if done properly. Zack Snyder doesnt know how to do it properly. Hell, he doesnt know how to do ANYTHING properly...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back