Top Gun F-14s (1/48 Hasegawa F-14A)

crackerjazz

Sr Member
I was a big fan of the F-14 since seeing the movie The Final Countdown. When Top Gun came out the shots were vastly different. I was zooming in on all of the details everytime they went in for a close shot. The cockpits looked nowhere like the bare-looking Revell F-14s I'd built -- they were busier with lots of stuff crammed inside. Later on I understood that the only way to achieve this was to get one of those aftermarket cockpits. For this build -- for the closer Tomcat -- I'm using an Aires pit.

Tom cruise seemed so happy in that cockpit - he was a pilot and Kelly McGillis was his girl. What more can one ask for? Everyone wanted to be Ton Cruise. Things may have changed now and the Tomcat's been retired. But everytime I see that movie I still want to strap into a Tomcat and get the girl.

I try to keep from singing "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" while I'm building this because that song has a tendency to go into an endless loop in your head and it will drive you bonkers.

cQVwq44.jpg

wT5EfG9.jpg

hZO9UGE.jpg

This is the display plan.

smBd1qo.jpg

I'm using a pair of Hasegawa boxings.

ZZ4226x.jpg

psOCxnE.jpg

I'm using the kit cockpit for the farther Tomcat since only the underside will be visible.

ZV4yABB.jpg

eaDczg2.jpg

r0dN3xV.jpg

Awful paintjob for the kit cockpit but I'm learning.

ZNLUu87.jpg

TshIwdR.jpg

Kit seats on left vs. Aires seats on the right

akKxuo4.jpg

jNRXMLb.jpg

U6mmxcp.jpg

eeWNSII.jpg

BdYn242.jpg

DgEbYKL.jpg

Aires cockpit PE parts

uYx3VCP.jpg

tHiGtxS.jpg

5GNsdAv.jpg

YG9XlNi.jpg

EQVGTNH.jpg

Kit IP on left and Aires on right.

JUdMS8V.jpg

A bit better job on the Aires pit painting.

GgBDRev.jpg

VM6NHlS.jpg

fTlAVSm.jpg

qrkYUA3.jpg

The kit figures don't easily drop into the Aires pit. So I had to cut the legs off and repostioned them to go around the lower part of the instrument panel. I'll be doing the same for the RIO.

uwZItkr.jpg

One of the things I did was to place the head in a more natural position -- so far I haven't come across any photos of pilots seated with ramrod-straight backs as as the kit figures depict. Pilots somehow seemed to slouch a bit, with some space between the helmet and headrest.

SWbFKDT.jpg

nkFJs3Z.jpg

SFNPnUr.jpg

kt31xGe.jpg

nmpaUxT.jpg

XDaZZz3.jpg

s3jwFZG.jpg

Yj5gqs4.jpg

q1JSdTX.jpg

TaYhVYm.jpg

Last edited:
Re: 1/48 Hasegawa F-14A Tomcats

Crackerjazz,
You are doing a fantastic job on these Tomcats! I share your love for the F-14, I grew up in a Grumman family, so this is near and dear to my heart! I love the way you have them flying on that base, this is going to be awesome!

Remind me - how large is the Tomcat at 1:48 scale?

Would be over the moon if someone produce a quality kit in 1:24!

Amazing attention to detail!!! I too am a huge Top Gun/F-14 fan, always have been, always will be!!! I would love to do a similar display one day, to go along with my replica helmets!

Can't wait to see the next update, keep up the great work, Ghostrider!!

The upright position is appropriate for 'pulling G's' situations (including a cat shot.) The ol' neck muscles get tired when the head feels like 2-3 times its normal weight...

Your 'pit looks good, btw.

Regards, Robert

Your attention to detail is amazing. That cockpit look pretty incredible. Can't wait to see what else you do with it.

Thanks, guys! :) I slapped together a 1/32 Revell as a kid and it was nearly 2 feet long, but a 1/24 would be nice -- almost as long as the 32" Falcon!

1/48 is 15.6" long and the Hasegawa surface detailing is fantastic with very fine scribing and this model has the most accurate fuselage and nose shape in any scale from what I've read so it's the kit I went for. I heard there are some tricky fuselage areas in terms of assembly but I'm crossing my fingers. I did get into some issues with the RIO instrument panel -- there seemed to be too little space for these panels to fit in easily:

Q13hnTF.jpg

7G1DnYL.jpg

And that seems to be because this edge of the instrument panel needs to line up with the sill, but was not the case with the kit IP (edge was much lower than the sill)

NwqrtKA.jpg

So I had to sand these kit parts thinner...

ILlGoBM.jpg

And also had to trim these areas a bit....

LK2pfeW.jpg

... to make them fit. The spot with the arrow will need to be reworked to a vertical position.

r0dN3xV.jpg

The panels on either side of the RIO officer now sit a little bit lower but I'm really not sure how others have dealt with this issue. In any case I'm using this kit cockpit on the F-14 that's in a steep bank since its cockpit won't be visible when displayed against the wall.

The Aires cockpit -- now that's a real blessing -- much more detailed, beautiful ejection seats, no such rework required -- although it does require some elbow grease to fit between the forward fuselage halves and needs a little modding of the kit figures' legs for the crew to slide into place. Once done, though, the crew in the more detailed Aires pit should be an awesome sight.

Hey, Junk Pilot, how could I have forgotten about those awesome 1/18s! Yes, that build from Marek -- his out-of-this-world, scratchwork is unbelievably beautiful and will bring tears to your eyes.

Hey, guys, thanks! Had some time to tinker with repositioning the RIO.

GMTFkQt.jpg

It was kind of tricky removing the support material. I was careful not to break the edges of the tarp (?) protection for the RIO coaming.

Sn5wzZx.jpg

gUNwx7e.jpg

oKZYwNo.jpg

XyqCk3m.jpg

I want to position the left hand of the RIO on the grab handle like Goose does here.

Kz7HDY6.jpg

yQpmruB.jpg

And the other hand on the canopy.

1VhjGDL.jpg

9Qefk9h.jpg

I5nrBb5.jpg

Merlin does the same here.One hand on the grabhandle and one hand along the canopy. But I'm thinking that no matter how hard I'd try to model that, it would end up looking like the RIO is waving hello.

ly3jYjs.jpg

YszT9gl.jpg

wjX1Kju.jpg

Had to cut the RIOs legs so they'll fit in the cockpit.

OXasfvH.jpg

U3LFAEW.jpg

oKTJqXK.jpg

6m8ktkt.jpg

lOLTnSF.jpg

m2ASD1c.jpg

VOr13gU.jpg

bebf9nb.jpg

Could always put the RIO's other hand braced against the side rail interior instead of up on the canopy to avoid the 'waving' look...

R/ Robert

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back