Top Gun F-14s (1/48 Hasegawa F-14A)

Hey Wannabe, thanks!

kz5lWvq.jpg

Where the thingamajigs connect to there are these thick frames. The one on the right ---- it looks like another frame overlaps it, but it's kind of tough to model so maybe I won't do the overlapping frame anymore and make them identical.

pimH6J2.jpg

QaFLJgC.jpg

ql0pTkI.jpg

jBngiwt.jpg

YrFJUsn.jpg

nXnEkOS.jpg

0rwCzpo.jpg

z8HtrQD.jpg

Last edited:
You don't sneeze while you are making this.
OMG !
One suggestion. Thin aluminum sheet like beer can will do for that tiny glare shield.

Dr. Aluminum Falcon

Awesome scratchbuilding! Though, I am wondering if those are F-14A cockpits since those gizmos look like helmet position sensors (?) and probably belong in a later B/D cockpit. Any Tomcat experts here?

R/ Robert

The indicators in the top, square boxes are engine stall warning lights. On the left side, the left-most box is the angle of attack indicator. The rectangular box with the 5 lights on left and four on the right side are various warning indicators

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hi AmazonChitlin, thanks for the info! I should give that a try, Katsu-san, thanks! Hey, Robert, you got me worried for a bit; I thought I'd be tossing 'em : ) I looked at some pics and it looks like the F-14As and B's share them while the D's indicators are shaped differently. Here are some of the F-14A pics:

8K3vfSt.jpg

n9sx0DP.jpg

ijFMFCE.jpg

jewggZY.jpg

Repaired the broken coaming for the RIO.

ZnhG21D.jpg

xSq7ibR.jpg

Test-fitted the tub on the 2nd Tomcat.

rdIZLKz.jpg

bTVMu7M.jpg

Made a new grabhandle for the RIO.

wMIaBT8.jpg

Painted the frame and indicators

PnfJ34k.jpg

DMHBBKI.jpg

Test-fitted onto Maverick's Tomcat

I'm building 2 1/48 F5's (Classic Airframes F5-B twin seat and an AFVclub F5-E) to paint up as Mig-28s before tackling an F-14 and an A-4 so I know how small those parts must be. The effort you're putting into accurizing the cockpits is insane.

Hi guys, thanks for the kind words and glad you like it! Hi, Jon, thanks! Hope to see your F-5 builds! Thanks for mentioning how small the parts are -- they're really tiny I get all cross-eyed working on them. I try to show them with the xacto blade so people can see them in context, but it just ends up looking like a photo alongside a big cutter blade :) And it's hard to show them in actual size as there's really nothing much to see, unless they're up close. Sometimes I question why I even bother :(

There's a really good angle here where the back of the pilot's seat is visible. You can see that the F-14A seat look really busy but the kit seats don't really show all that much detail so I'm adding some visible elements.
https://tonetcarlo.wordpress.com/category/adventure/

5m3To9Y.jpg

Xzqy76d.jpg

Drew up the basic shape of that plate in the back of the seat in Solidworks -- just to get profile patterns for cutting styrene strips and rods.

HYqBtSe.jpg

DwPvbQH.jpg

gjO9sAC.jpg

ay1NgDT.jpg

zbKgdHQ.jpg

zlXmRgZ.jpg

Here's the modified Hase kit cockpit tub so far. I'm tempted to put in toggle switches like I did on the Aires pit but I don't want to get into the trap of another never-ending project -- at some point I need to decide when to stop.

Hey, Albertese, AmazonChitlin, thanks. Yeah got a few....

Did some mods to the Hasegawa kit seat backrest:

a8KvQLj.jpg

9NWylRO.jpg

sTwDYHM.jpg

O4WmwNc.jpg

ZgI4CCe.jpg

g0OZsmN.jpg

Did some of the pilot's rear bulkhead -- the airconditioning ducts and some piping.

2upLNjS.jpg

mJVFMVT.jpg

gMF4jCi.jpg

uylodDS.jpg

2Nif5KT.jpg

CNG985B.jpg

Added the vinyl cover on the pilot's side.

SuNBC2J.jpg

RqzwYM9.jpg

HyJwXwR.jpg

bFtjpeF.jpg

7KQ1QMw.jpg

JYJJJLp.jpg

Removed the gloves since no one in the movie seemed to wear any.

Mp1XEWT.jpg

I cut off Slider's thumb so I could let him hold the front grip better -- will sculpt in a new thumb.

ewaYBku.jpg

O4Eb2if.jpg

TnZYTux.jpg

HYbZQ77.jpg

3ptxc8W.jpg

NG9iwup.jpg

zGthVDA.jpg

wO7bFSJ.jpg

I'll need to reposition Goose's arms in the other Tomcat so that they don't look exactly alike.

WOOOOOW... dude, this is bananas.

I love the F-14 and have built many over the years including this hasegawa kit, but now it looks like I need to build another one and follow your example.

I wonder how much fun you'd have with a 1/32 cat...

Hey, guys, Teddz, thanks! Some progress on the exhaust....

hB2AJFO.jpg

YqZglEY.jpg

The beaver tail needs some material removed so that the nozzles can fit right.

wuEH3qo.jpg

CtZsHDx.jpg

Sanded down the mating area to make it flatter.

BK9a6Fj.jpg

hnmAJqk.jpg

nksD1px.jpg

The nozzles fit better after shaving off a a bit from the beaver tail but the nozzles still needed filing for the edge to sit flush.

5VquNB6.jpg

And I'm not sure why the other Tomcat has to have more material removed from the nozzles. They're the same Hasegawa model, albeit 3 decades apart as far as boxing.

JOZjdhx.jpg

wBtYuIq.jpg

bBIAc43.jpg

10rrClv.jpg

mBu5PYm.jpg

a2pE6f0.jpg

YfX6Cwh.jpg

jyTCprO.jpg

vZiwUZi.jpg

I did a poorer job mating the forward fuselage to the body compared to the other Tomcat --- more filing, sanding and puttying to come.

uWvDcaV.jpg

iYnKc7w.jpg

Nice to see this pop back up!

Excellent job so far

What did you use on the engine nozzles to get that effect? is it the Tamiya Weathering powders?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back