Mark 46 build 3D print

TKCC71

Well figured I would start a new thread here and share the journey on this build.

I'm new to 3D printing and pretty much learning as I go. I had recently purchased some really nice quality files for the new Mark 46 (**Files not shareable per the terms and conditions**) and just received my Robo 3DR1+ printer. I also purchased Simplify3D but haven't printed with that slicer as of yet.

I figure I would share the first print and will be looking forward to some printing tips from the community here as I go along.

This print unfortunately took almost 2 days due to my limited 3D printing knowledge, but hopefully as this build goes along it will get better and faster. I printed this in high quality with the Matter Control slicer that came with the printer. Will start the back of the head and the rest of the helmet this weekend with Simplify3D and will test out some medium to low quality print settings to speed up the process a little more..

Any recommendations on Layer and infil percentages using this printer would be helpful. Want to keep some of the detail but definitely do not want to wait 2 days for a small print.

Hi

For infill %, don't go above 20% - you're just wasting plastic.

For speed/quality, I'm finding that the print orientation has a much bigger impact than layer height. For example, you printed the faceplate in one go, flat on the bed - As a result, the stepping between layers is clearly visible on the curve of the faceplate. If you split the model in two, and printed the faceplate close to vertical, there would be less stepping, and you should get a better looking print.

I'm still learning 3D printing, and am also attempting to print an Iron Man suit. I look forward you seeing your progress.

Hey man I just got the R1 plus last week, im using PLA and a 205c extruder temp along with a 65c print bed has been awesome i also printed an oiler to use which has helped get perfect prints. As far as infill goes I use 15 percent which i feel is very durable but if it is a piece that will need to take damage id say 25 percent would be best. best of luck also where did you get the 3d files i am interested in starting a 3d printed iron man suit

Well figured I would start a new thread here and share the journey on this build.

I'm new to 3D printing and pretty much learning as I go. I had recently purchased some really nice quality files for the new Mark 46 (**Files not shareable per the terms and conditions**) and just received my Robo 3DR1+ printer. I also purchased Simplify3D but haven't printed with that slicer as of yet.

I figure I would share the first print and will be looking forward to some printing tips from the community here as I go along.

This print unfortunately took almost 2 days due to my limited 3D printing knowledge, but hopefully as this build goes along it will get better and faster. I printed this in high quality with the Matter Control slicer that came with the printer. Will start the back of the head and the rest of the helmet this weekend with Simplify3D and will test out some medium to low quality print settings to speed up the process a little more..

Any recommendations on Layer and infil percentages using this printer would be helpful. Want to keep some of the detail but definitely do not want to wait 2 days for a small print.

[url]http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j360/Tjsailosullivan/IMG_9534_zpsudmjrcch.jpg[/URL]
Nice to see you have your printer at last and started printing.. i have used 30% infill all through my printing i slice my parts as big and as tall as my print bed will allow everything is trial n error really still get failed prints sometimes

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips guys. Will also look into that oiler. was wondering which version you printer. Seems to be a few out there?

I think I am going down to 20% on my infil since I am planning to put a thin layer of epoxy and some body filler over the structure once there finished. Printed my jaw last night with the Simplify3D. I really do like the supports it creates and it also seem to print really well. Probably going to use it from here out. Best investment so far with this printer.

Creative, love your videos on your build. Definitely helpful to the community.

Was wondering how you guys cut up the top of the helmet and orient it for print. There is so much curve in it.

thanks for checking out my build videos glad they are helping others... that print is nice! the split helmet into four and print up right no supports will be fine :thumbsup

thanks for checking out my build videos glad they are helping others... that print is nice! the split helmet into four and print up right no supports will be fine :thumbsup
this is how i printed mine just rotated parts you can use supports but i did not use
Capture 1.PNGCapture 2.PNG

Reprinted the jaw. Do3D had just updated their V2 of the Mark 46 files. A huge difference in the helmet, its much thicker than the V1 around the cheek and many other details added.

Had some problems with the print last night. It seems to be stepping. Anyone have some thoughts on what might of caused this?

Keep in mind, that's $105 for the files only... that doesn't include cost of filament, or print hours, or the various stuff you'll need to bring the prints to a finished state (sandpaper, filler primer, XTC, etc)...
According to our test, the total cost of material/plastic for a whole suit (MK 45 for example) was $105.70. (5.25 kg used at $20.13/kg)

- - - Updated - - -

that helm looks sharp man cant wait to see more

Last edited by a moderator:
According to our test, the total cost of material/plastic for a whole suit (MK 45 for example) was $105.70. (5.25 kg used at $20.13/kg)

- - - Updated - - -

that helm looks sharp man cant wait to see more

Wait, you can order raw prints from you guys? I thought you only sold files! xD

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Print! I hope someday I can purchase their files when I can afford it =\ What layer height are you printing it at?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back