Hasbro Black Series Rogue One Stormtrooper Helmet

AHHHH!!!!! MY EYES!!!!! THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!!!!! Just saw (can't post from work unfortunately) a full back view. You know that side of the back they've really, REALLY not shown so far? The left back? Great big speaker slits that make the battery compartment look subtle and understated by comparison. No doubt fixable, but just...yikes.

http://picclick.ca/Star-Wars-Black-Series-Voice-Changer-helmet-Storm-282168109732.html#&gid=1&pid=3

I'm not sure my 8 year old is going to notice this on Christmas morning while he's running around the house as a Stormtrooper pew-pewing Rebel scum in the living room.

You guys really think those lines in the back'll be 501st passable? Either way I'm pretty pumped about mine, still. Can't really beat $80 for a good looking bucket, even if it'll take some mods to spiff it up.

No. Those will need to be filled in and painted over. The lines being discussed as passable (more like "required") are the blue side-tube stripes, which are recessed on the Rogue One version of the helmet.

Curious to see how people plan to conceal the battery pack. The kylo helmet was easy in the sense that, while annoying to sand, it almost needed a paint upgrade. So you knew that, whatever you used to fill the seams, and whatever color it was to begin with, you were going to be painting dang near the whole thing. Unless every little thing in this separates easily, like the chrome face plate on the kylo, we'll be doing a lot of masking just to fill the battery seams and repaint the white.

And as for painting the white - what color and type of paint do many of you have in mind? Those of you who know you'll be redoing this thing for sure.

My initial notion is to carefully dismount the battery compartment from the inside of the helmet, work up a retaining system to make it removable from inside, and glue the original outside cover in place. I might even suggest replacing conventional batteries with a Li-ion rechargeable battery pack that would need to be actually removed/replaced far less frequently.

And since the seam between the cap and the back needs to be filled and painted, too, it all works in this case. Much as your comparison to the Kylo -- enough other work needs to get done, repainting the whole thing just makes sense as a fairly easy step. I'd suggest treating it like the other kits. Do the cap and back separately as one piece, the faceplate, and the earcaps. All you'll have to mask off are the traps and tears. Then reassemble everything (brow trim, lenses and faceplate internals, earcap greeblie switch, the four main pieces, the neck trim...).

As for paint, the appliance epoxy paint is a good pick. My choice, recommended by the FISD for over a decade, I recommended upthread:

Regarding the seams and particularly the battery compartment, since this has been confirmed by Hasbro to be ABS, would it be feasible to make some ABS paste from my Anovos TK offcuts to spackle over this helmet? The white may not be a perfect match, but would that be a reasonable place to start with mods?
You can do that. You could even just fill the gap and the seam between the cap and back with a two-part epoxy putty of your choice. There are going to be a nonzero number of surface details that need attention, and after that it'd be best for even-ness if the whole thing was repainted. RustOleum's Professional Grade paints (at least the ones I've researched) have ground up ABS dissolved in suspension, so once it's cured you've basically coated your helmet in glossy, polished white (or black, if you want to do a Shadow Stormtrooper) ABS.

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang! Missed it. Now showing "Out of Stock" and no option for pre-order. Strange since it has not released yet.

I was surprised too but I managed to snag one.
Keep checking. The chain probably has initially ordered several thousand, but were unaware of how popular the unreleased helmet would be. Once someone notices that ALL of the preordered stock has been spoken for, I'm sure they will contact Hasbro again and double the order. Amazon.ca has this helmet at 150+ CDN, so it pays to shop around. Perhaps just some patience is required so that you can get this for under a hundred CDN.

TazMan2000

Judging how the Kylo helmet is not only still available, but is also marked down, I would believe the stormtrooper helmet would be available for a while as well. I have been collecting toys for a long time and ventured into the black series. What I'm getting at is, the appearance of the black series line seemed limited and sold out of certain figures right away. But truth be told. They came back out in other waves proving that these were just another mass produced line. Black series has a lot of nice detail and are really cool so that is one of their hooks. If they hold true to the action figure line, the first release items will be available for a couple of waves and then stop. If kylo is still available at or around Christmas time, I may ask Santa for one. We will see about the stormtrooper next year.

I was just poking around on You Tube and one of those annoying pop up commercials came on, for Target. It looks like the will not only have a Stormtrooper helmet available (this one?), but a Deathtrooper as well. Has anyone seen this?

Judging how the Kylo helmet is not only still available, but is also marked down, I would believe the stormtrooper helmet would be available for a while as well

I am counting on this. Want to see some pics and some reviews before I get it. A lot of people may not like the lines all being cut out, instead of being painted/decals, but I've been wanting this. If it looks as good as some of the 'budget' PCR helmets around, I'll def get one or two.

Not the tube cutouts on the faceplate tubes. Those are accurate.

The complaints are about slits in he REAR tube that were added so you can hear the speaker.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back