the last man on earth series

KrangPrime

Master Member
I know there has to be a thread about it here, but my terrible google skills can't seem to locate it. mods...please merge if so.

what to say about this series?

I finally caught up with all but two season one episodes. I just don't know the end game of this series.

they can't repopulate the earth with 7 people. the population would be too inbread within a generation or three. Eventually the earths population will completely die out.
they only have one animal to make food with, and that'd probably die out in 40 years. any future generatinos would be screwed.
no one around to maintain technology. anything that wasstill working after two years would break down after a while. so dark ages a coming.
All the food would rot...so their food supplies would be gone in about two years unless they started growing stuff.

and there's no real bigger narrative. it's just a bunch of funny situations. the best probably being stuck on top of the bill board.
I'd like to see a bigger plot unfold to get an idea of where this series is going. who orchestrated the virus? was it natural? what if one of the creators was one of the last survivors?

It might dab down on the comedy a little..but it would give this series a little more meat.

I feel sorry for phil the most. he's the only one who seems mentally damaged by what happened. everyone else seems to just carry on as normal. 'oh my god, people! lets resume life as it was!'

the series idea has potential...I just don't know what yet.

I haven't finished season 1 yet, but I love it so far. Phil Lord and Chris Miller are brilliant guys, and I'm sure they have some sort of end game for it...

Or maybe not... maybe they just run it on for as long as it's funny. I mean who cares about repopulation when in all likelihood, you're just seeing, at best, 9 years of these people's lives. By that I mean, it's not going to be on more than 9 seasons, so it never has to deal with the long term future... just a couple of years following this moron around.

What Mike J. said. It is not about the situation, it is about what does such a situation do to people. Much like Looking for a friend for the end of the world. And of course TWD. But all on the light side. Even TWD has not given us any onfo about the who and why of its virus.

Although light in tonw Id say it is acharscter driven show. We already see changes in Phils behaviour, but he cant really shed his skin. Sometimes it is hard to watch, though. At least for me.

What Mike J. said. It is not about the situation, it is about what does such a situation do to people. Much like Looking for a friend for the end of the world. And of course TWD. But all on the light side. Even TWD has not given us any onfo about the who and why of its virus.

Although light in tonw Id say it is acharscter driven show. We already see changes in Phils behaviour, but he cant really shed his skin. Sometimes it is hard to watch, though. At least for me.

I find some of it almost as cringeworthy as the office but I love it!
@NeilT you're looking into it a bit much :D If there is 7 people already chances are there is still alot more out there, same with the animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first 6/7 episodes of this show were brilliant, watching everything go wrong for Phil just as he seems to catch a break were really well done. You just had to feel for the guy.

It seemed to taper off a bit after that but I still find it quite enjoyable. the last couple of episodes look like a start towards opening out the population a bit.

The first 6/7 episodes of this show were brilliant, watching everything go wrong for Phil just as he seems to catch a break were really well done. You just had to feel for the guy.

It seemed to taper off a bit after that but I still find it quite enjoyable. the last couple of episodes look like a start towards opening out the population a bit.

My fav are the first 2, the first of season 2 and the second to latest on season 2(Phils brother). But all of season 2 has been fantastic.
Also:
The kid who played young Phil NAILED it "don't look at my weiner you perv"

I think them getting together will be the season cliffhanger.
I was hoping that when he landed we would see more of him believing he was the last man on earth and how he dealt with it by comparison to Phil. But the Pat episode was great, hope that character comes back.

all of season one was good. watched the last episode last night, and the last episode of season 2 up there, so far, just today.

'I don't want to be with a man who leaves you out in the desert to die. I want to be with the man who thinks about doing it, but doesn't have the heart to go through with it'..

paraphrasing, but that was a great little line ;o)... I also loved the tackle new phil did on old phil.. came out of nowhere...even though by phricken todds expression, you could tell he didn't really call a truce ;o)..

about the only thing phil did so far that I didn't care for was when he first met the two new ladies, who's names escape me at the moment. calling mary steenburgen and her friend by age and race. that line totally came out of nowhere and just didn't seem to sit right. it was a little harder to root for him after that....at least for me.

watching season 2 out of order....

I'm glad Pitch Black got a llliitttlllee more serious and explained how things went down. the finale was also pretty good.
It's nice to see there are more people out there, even if spread out so much it'd take a while to find them.

first two episodes of season 2 are pretty good. the jet shot was pretty awesome...and the boo heart attack joke was genius.

any idea when season 3 shows up?

I never started the series but the premise is always fascinating to me. Based on your initial post I'm probably not going to watch it because I hate it when a show just becomes an exercise for the writers to keep a narrative alive with no real endgame in sight. I feel burned by apocalyptic shows like, Revolution and Under the Dome which seemed to lapse into that pattern after a while - especially when it uses interpersonal melodrama (family dynamics, love triangles etc.) to pad a show and punctuate episodes with false jeopardy in order to maintain your attention.

as I think someone pointed out, I guess it doesn't really need an endgame at this point.

these people will probably live out their life happy with each other, die off, and then the planet will be totally empty for the next evolution ;o)

they did get a taaaad more serious in seaosn 2, which I liked.. explaining a bit more about the virus.

I think a fun endgame for it, though, would be a time travel finale. Phil and Carol learn that the virus was genetically engineered, and they have a chance to go back and stop it, saving everyone and everything. but the cost of that would be their time together. that could really make it more of an adventure series more than a comedy series but could be an awesome way to end it.

I was semi impressed in an episode when they mentioned that gasoline was going to go bad but they were wrong in how long they'd have. Gasoline will go bad in 6-12 months if not sooner depending on various things. It was one of the few shows, including documentaries, to bother mentioning it.

so, i'm almost done with season 2.

Not bad at all. mostly light hearted.

I'm reading ahead to season 3.

Wow. seems like they turn it into a depressing action adventure series. Do they kill off phils brother, mike?
I'm assuming the blood has something to do with the cow since it died..

season 3 doesn't seem like it'll be all that good.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back