Indiana Jones 5 officially announced

Well at least the series won't end with Crystal Skull. How will they handle the Mutt situation? Off screen death?

"Mutt died on the way back to his home planet."

Hopefully they don't even acknowledge the events of Crystal Skull at all. Pretend it never happened, I say.

Pretend what never happened? ;)

All I know is I have the Indiana Jones trilogy on blu-ray and it came with this weird coaster for some video game spinoff, I think. I dunno. I wasn't paying much attention.

I've hoped for quite some time to see Ford as Dr. Jones, working at the university, and recounting the tale of some adventure from his past to a group of students. The story of course would include a younger version of himself, obviously played by a new actor. That new actor then moves forward with future films in the franchise, as Indiana Jones himself, and we all just kind of move on.

Dr. Who is portrayed by different actors. James Bond is as well. While we spend time debating who is the best, we don't lose sight of the fact that as long as the movies/shows are good, we continue to watch and enjoy them...so while you may think Connery was by far the best Bond, that doesn't really impact how much you enjoyed "Skyfall."

I have always felt felt that Indiana Jones could be this same type of character...as long as the movies are good, we can debate how Ford was better, or how New Actor Playing Indy is better, but we'll still enjoy the new films all the same.

The thing is, Indy is...different. In over 30 years, he's only ever been played on film by one character. Most people discount the YIJC (I like 'em, though), in which he was played by three others (two with the DVD set...). Regardless, they'll "reboot" the franchise with a younger actor, and keep the timeframe in the 1920s-1950s, probably. There's plenty of stuff you could do in the '30s. And you could always have Indy working for OSS during the war. Hell, they could even reboot YIJC and have him fight in WW1, build contacts as a result, and use them for his work in WWII. I actually think the WW1-era episodes are the best of YIJC.

Agreed! Shia gets a lot of crap, but he's a solid actor.

Yes, but he's also "difficult to work with," which is why I highly doubt he'll be back at all. I expect they just won't mention him, or will say something like "He's not my sidekick. He's my son. And anyway, he's busy with his motorcycle company."

It's not weird. The announcement was made last year, there hasn't been any new official announcements since then.

Many sites are linking back to that article, cause the Indy twitter account just posted it in the morning and many took it as new announcement. So many are not even bothered to check the dates.

This kind of thing happened ALL THE TIME this past year or so. It happens on facebook a lot, too, where some news story suddenly flies around like wildfire, and you check the dateline and it's from, like, a year ago or six months ago or something, but everyone treats it as some fresh story.

The thing is, Indy is...different. In over 30 years, he's only ever been played on film by one character. Most people discount the YIJC (I like 'em, though), in which he was played by three others (two with the DVD set...). Regardless, they'll "reboot" the franchise with a younger actor, and keep the timeframe in the 1920s-1950s, probably. There's plenty of stuff you could do in the '30s. And you could always have Indy working for OSS during the war. Hell, they could even reboot YIJC and have him fight in WW1, build contacts as a result, and use them for his work in WWII. I actually think the WW1-era episodes are the best of YIJC.

Pop culture generally has no interest in the whole era of WW1. If you learn all your history from modern media then you'd think nothing happened for about a 30-40 year span after the Wild West and before the 1920s/30s. The Titanic sank, airplanes were invented, and that's about it.

Hey . . . was young Indy on the Titanic? Indy was theoretically born about 1900 or soon after. That puts him in grade school age at the time.

If Ford is Indy and that's it then it is what it is.

How about a damn spinoff then?
Something in the 1930s?
Can we get back to the whole serialized cliff hanger jungle adventurer that it was all based on?

Sallah, Katanga, Jock, Forrestal could all be there!

Last edited:
Shia is a fine actor (loved him in Nymphomaniac), but his off-screen antics have made him so repugnant to me that I'd have a hard time enjoying watching him in a movie, regardless of how well he inhabited the role. Call it the Tom Cruise effect.

If Ford is Indy and that's it then it is what it is.

How about a damn spinoff then?
Something in the 1930s?
Can we get back to the whole serialized cliff hanger jungle adventurer that it was all based on?

Sallah, Katanga, Jock, Forrestal could all be there!
I still say do a spinoff based upon the Jock character. Get a young actor to play him and take it from there.

Please no CGI double. Next we will be doing Casablanca 2 with all CGI doubles. (PS I thought of it first so if they do it I want my cut :lol). Let's do this the right way. Let's have a still teaching independent strong Dr. Jones being interviewed by the FBI on a cold case or something. Tell the tale of his adventure with Chris Pratt (I think that is who we are all hoping for anyway) and let this great story arc continue on. Hell you can still have a modern day scene were Ford still has to kick ass and save the day or it can even be in the beginning which starts the whole story off.

I hate to be a debbie downer but I'm just over here hoping he will be around and able to even do this film.
It sucks seeing your childhood heros get older, but 2016 was a harsh reminder that time waits for no one... and 2019 is a long two years away, assuming they even get the script in order and can start filming to hit that date.

What would I like to see? I agree with the posts above..
Dr. Jones recounting the adventurous tales of his youth. A young Indy being played by Pratt, or personally, I'd like to see Anthony Ingruber in the role.. as long as this Alden Ehrenreich guy isn't in the picture I would be happy.

"Mutt died on the way back to his home planet."

This is exactly what I was thinking of when I posed the question. Nice. LOL.

Also, I heard today that Spielberg is in talks to do another Tom Hanks movie. I really don't see this project happening despite what Disney says. Unless they make some big changes.

Please no CGI double. Next we will be doing Casablanca 2 with all CGI doubles. (PS I thought of it first so if they do it I want my cut :lol). Let's do this the right way. Let's have a still teaching independent strong Dr. Jones being interviewed by the FBI on a cold case or something. Tell the tale of his adventure with Chris Pratt (I think that is who we are all hoping for anyway) and let this great story arc continue on. Hell you can still have a modern day scene were Ford still has to kick ass and save the day or it can even be in the beginning which starts the whole story off.

I wouldn't worry too much about that, the tech isn't there yet for them to use CG doubles for a main cast member. As it stands, the tech is still in its infancy and it will be at least a decade before the tech gets both good enough and cheap enough to be used for a lead character that will appear in the majority of a film.

I wouldn't worry too much about that, the tech isn't there yet for them to use CG doubles for a main cast member. As it stands, the tech is still in its infancy and it will be at least a decade before the tech gets both good enough and cheap enough to be used for a lead character that will appear in the majority of a film.

A decade passes very quickly. ;)

I'm not convinced that photo-real CGI will ever replace lead actors to that extent.

No matter how advanced the tech gets, the animation will be the downfall of it. You can't teach software to act well & have screen charisma. No matter how good they get at the job it's still an enormous job compared to just paying another actor.

Besides, new actors are ways to lead a franchise into the future & keep it fresh.

Disney is introducing new droids in the recent movies. It's not because C-3PO & R2-D2 need Botox.

Re: Indy 5 is a go!

The story of course would include a younger version of himself, obviously played by a new actor.

I think the plot goes like this: Indy finds the fountain of youth and becomes 40 years younger. Tired of hunting for ancient relics he decides to start a new career as an actor, calls himself "Harrison Ford" and teams up with a young George Lucas... ;) :D

I'm wondering what the MacGuffin will be for this movie. They could do the Spear of Destiny because it would link in with the whole Nazi theme from the previous movies.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back