Indiana Jones 5 officially announced

I'm all for Indy 5 with Harrison, as long as the story is good and it can make up for Crystal Skull. At least it would be nice to see one last Indiana Jones movie with him in the title role go out on a high note.

Last Crusade was really the perfect cap to the character, but if they are going to do more, let's PLEASE come up with a good story with an interesting/ threatening villain.

It'd have to be a VERY different Indy film, in my opinion. Far more character driven and less about the action because, sorry, a geriatric guy leaping from one moving vehicle to another, whip-swinging across chasms, punching ersatz-nazis, etc. is just not gonna be believable no matter how close the stuntman's resemblance is or how much CGI they use. It just won't.

That's not to say you couldn't do a good movie starring Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones, but would it really be "an Indiana Jones movie" along the lines of the first three? Not if they go for anything remotely believable. That, by the way, isn't necessarily a bad thing. Personally I think it'd be way worse to have Indy doing all that stuff as a septuagenarian. I'd rather he be talkier, use his head more, outwit the badguys, etc. Kind of like the Second or Third Doctors in Doctor Who -- an older gentleman who is underestimated by his opponents, but who beats them on brains rather than brawn. I wouldn't mind if he had a younger character with him to do the punching, but they'd have to make Indy himself equally formidable, even if that doesn't come from his physical prowess. And none of that is to say he can't do ANY action stuff, just that he won't be believable doing the kind of stunt-heavy work from the first 3 films.

Having an "too old" Indy could work in its favor. He has pretty much always done things that have been out of reach.
Young indy
Use a whip? Heck no.

Older Indy:
Fly an airplane? Sure! Land? Not so much.

Too old Indy:
Punch a bad guy? Of course! Knock him out? Not even close.

But that's what the Webley revolver is for. After all, it's not the years, honey. It's the milage.
:p

You hate ToD that much? :) :)

tumblr_lrke7emfxo1qge3c5o3_500.jpg

Well that would be a twist. I wonder if Indy ever had a fling with with a lady named Croft after KotCS.... Franchise mashup...

Yeah, I said the same thing a few pages back.

IMO it's very likely that Indy will end up trotting around with a new granddaughter (or granddaughter-aged chick) this time. Girls are "in" now. Any new young guy would remind the audience of Shia and also be compared against young Harrison - that would be a no-win for the filmmakers.

(I know, giving Indy a granddaughter will make it feel unoriginal. Lately we've had Katniss, Rey, Lara Croft, etc. But this is 21st century Hollywood - all they DO is retread stuff. That's why they are making Indy#5 in the first place. They can't afford to take creative risks on tentpole movies anymore.)

Last edited:
Who know's Mutt could always have a twin sister that wasn't mentioned in Indy4. Indy wake up from a nightmare, and have Ingruber take over in the role, circa 1920's?

Last edited:
Man an you got that right! Sorry, let me try and fix that. Spielberg said in an interview he won't kill off Harrison in the new Indy film.

Big spoiler alert then ;) :p

Seeing as how the young Indy chronicles featured a really old Indy I think this sounds good, and consistent :thumbsup

Ah, but old Indy -- and his daughter -- were excised from the continuity (apparently) with the release of the YIJC DVDs. (Which, by the way, is actually a pretty great DVD set.)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back