Scratchbuilt Millennium Falcon 1/72nd

I've been mad busy recently, I'm working four jobs at the moment. Anyway this evening I had a chance to progress on the build;
I used the same pattern masters for the lower jawbox as I did for the upper, yet it still turned out slightly off....
I also decided to freestyle the detailing a little, but I need to work into the piece further before I'll call it done.

31036194415_660a159369_c.jpg

30922176491_b597e24660_c.jpg

31036193795_3a6a467337_c.jpg

Hey Will. Just caught up with your build.Amazing work dude, love the spun alloy centre and the kit bashed parts. This is going to be the best 1/72 falcon that exists, i dont know anyone who has done the level of work you have, As always im jelous of your model and skills :)

Will you have any new resin parts for sale at some point?

Hey Will. Just caught up with your build.Amazing work dude, love the spun alloy centre and the kit bashed parts. This is going to be the best 1/72 falcon that exists, i dont know anyone who has done the level of work you have, As always im jelous of your model and skills :)

Will you have any new resin parts for sale at some point?

Yeah! My Mk.II MPC upgrade kit should be available by Christmas. Thanks for the kind words as always, very motivational

I started building the radar mount base on Saturday, then this evening I worked on the cockpit tunnel panelling.

30795184440_c8ff8890fe_c.jpg

30341411314_a741be1b99_c.jpg

I'll guide you through what I was doing here with the strip which the 'koolshade' sits over;
I used 9mm DYMO tape as a guide to scribe an outline into the perspex, then I used that length of tape to mark out a guide for the holes on masking tape. Photograph material was a hard to cross-reference, but I felt 9 holes was a well educated guess, at 4.5mm. These were all piloted with 1mm before being bored out, once I'd cleaned the swarf away I filed away approximately 0.5mm of material to create a recess. I'm not sure if the channel is necessarily accurate, but the Koolshade in reference photographs seems to be raised away from the holes, so it's either stepped away from the surface or the channel is indeed recessed.

30341415954_4841969157_c.jpg

30341415154_aedf45f097_c.jpg

30341418284_e12794442a_c.jpg

30341419264_3172af44b6_c.jpg

Anyway, overlong explanation of a simple process.

This afternoon I fitted one of my photo-etch Koolshade strips, the two holes with no detail behind are where the red caution lights will go, so I'll wire those in place soon.

I wasn't feeling happy with how the details were looking.....so against my customary primer restraint, I masked the strip along the tunnel crest and gave it a tentative shot of Tamiya ultrafine. Turns out all is satisfactory!

31085337321_6389c61083_c.jpg

30378287384_cfa034e09a_c.jpg

31056011312_63a40b938a_c.jpg

At the rate this is shaping up, I'm going to assume that it took him 5 years, and he's now just uploading pics everyday to show off.

Seriously. Mark my words. When this is done it will probably be the greatest falcon I have ever seen

At the rate this is shaping up, I'm going to assume that it took him 5 years, and he's now just uploading pics everyday to show off.

Seriously. Mark my words. When this is done it will probably be the greatest falcon I have ever seen

Goodness knows that it's taken a solid 5 years of research and three or four failed Falcon models before I could get to this point!

I wasn't feeling happy with how the details were looking.....so against my customary primer restraint, I masked the strip along the tunnel crest and gave it a tentative shot of Tamiya ultrafine. Turns out all is satisfactory!

HA!.....I knew you'd fall to the dark side sooner or later.....(or should I say grey side!!!)

Looking fantastically great HH

hyper detailed

J

This is just coming along beautifully....

I can just imagine the first person to see this after it's completed.

Person: Wow, very nice. What kit is it from ?

You: "No kit, I built it from scratch"

Person: :eek

That is just amazing! Wonderful madness.

Love that photoetched Koolshade strip on the cockpit tube! Looks better than the Paragraphix one I used with my Falcon a few years ago (their cockpit rear wall is stunning though). It makes me want to start with the second FM Falcon I have waiting.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back