WonderCon Los Angeles 2016 March 25-27

Yes, seeing that next year won't be on Easter weekend & back in Anaheim, I will consider attending next year. I agree, there is nothing around the L.A. convention center. There's a Target a couple blocks away . . . woohoooO! Hotels around the area are scarce too.

I just read an article about how Los Angeles would love the opportunity to host the main COMIC CON if San Diego or another adequate venue isn't secured after 2018 when the current deal with San Diego expires. Good luck!!:facepalm

That would be a horrible idea and I think San Diego is a terrible place for Comicon as it is. The convention center isn't big enough, there just aren't enough hotels and there isn't nearly the kind of infrastructure that is required for a convention of that size. I still think that the only place for a convention of Comicon's size is Las Vegas. Comicon just doesn't want to go there because Vegas won't give them the kind of big price breaks that San Diego does.

That would be a horrible idea and I think San Diego is a terrible place for Comicon as it is. The convention center isn't big enough, there just aren't enough hotels and there isn't nearly the kind of infrastructure that is required for a convention of that size. I still think that the only place for a convention of Comicon's size is Las Vegas. Comicon just doesn't want to go there because Vegas won't give them the kind of big price breaks that San Diego does.

Agreed, LA would be a terrible place for ComicCon, I don't think that LA has the capacity to handle ComicCon, at least in San Diego you have a hotel right next door to house smaller panels and screenings and the Gas Lamp district for food. There's really not that much food around the LA LIve area and there are no nearby hotels within walking distance for smaller panels and screenings and the Microsoft Theater with its stupid security policies will keep a lot of people out because they don't want to walk all the way back to their car to put their prop guns away and the walk back to retrieve if they choose to go back to the con proper. I'm also not sure that the LA Convention Center is even large enough to accommodate all of ComicCon, does it have enough hall space for the dealers room and it doesn't seem to have as many ballrooms as San Diego or Anaheim does.

Agreed, LA would be a terrible place for ComicCon, I don't think that LA has the capacity to handle ComicCon, at least in San Diego you have a hotel right next door to house smaller panels and screenings and the Gas Lamp district for food. There's really not that much food around the LA LIve area and there are no nearby hotels within walking distance for smaller panels and screenings and the Microsoft Theater with its stupid security policies will keep a lot of people out because they don't want to walk all the way back to their car to put their prop guns away and the walk back to retrieve if they choose to go back to the con proper. I'm also not sure that the LA Convention Center is even large enough to accommodate all of ComicCon, does it have enough hall space for the dealers room and it doesn't seem to have as many ballrooms as San Diego or Anaheim does.

It is slightly larger overall, but there just isn't enough room for a Comicon exhibit hall and if they're thinking of turning Microsoft into Hall H, they're in for a shock. Hall H isn't nearly big enough as it is, that's why San Diego has been fighting to double the space on the convention center for years now, or at least promising to do so, and that's exactly what Comicon needs. It needs everything in one place, not spread all over a bunch of hotels. And there aren't nearly enough hotel rooms in San Diego now, LA could never compete. Like I said, Vegas is the only place in the country that can handle a crowd that size and still allow Comicon to grow. The Las Vegas Convention Center is bigger than both LA and San Diego combined. When your convention is selling out completely in less than 10 minutes, you've got problems.

scary thought it SDCC going to Anaheim Since SD failed to expand spending 20 mil to come up with plans to utterly fall underneath it ALL while Anaheim is expanding now. Anahiem maybe the 2nd biggest foot to foot convention center in the U.S. it doesnt have the support I think SD gets around Comic Con. The public transpo and traffic is so much better if it were to stay in San Diego. The only thing that has be saying this is because of the fact that A. SD failed to Expland B. WonderCon has already established itself as being great location for Anaheim. SDCC in Anaheim would become a gridlock zone. Nothing would be safe around that area. Hotel wise included. I didnt enjoy it being in LA and yes they did ask for them to return back in 2019 but LA convention center isnt explanding like Anahiem thus is probably will continue to stay in Anaheim once it makes its return back because of construction. It's all about the money and yea SoCal cons tend to make alot more than they ever did in NorCal. I remember when WonderCon first came down here was because of construction reasons but given the fact how much more support and money they made down here gave it all but more reason for it to stay. Its still a business and if a Convention out grows its current location it will look to move to make more profit because of how the cons of recent years have become.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back