EFX DARTH VADER ANH PCR HELMETS (SPECIAL and STANDARD EDITIONS)

I was about to pick up the special edition before I started seeing a bit of negative feedback and read a not too positive review on the prop den. Although I know it's silly to expect something on par with their earlier fiberglass helmets at the $200 to $300 range, I was hoping for something a little bit better, but that's just me. However, I'm also seeing some good feedback as well, and some really good in hand pics, which has me kind of conflicted. Spacebob's modifications also show how much potential this helmet has, but I don't know how well I could fix it up myself. I just wish I had gotten one of eFx's fiberglass helmets when I had the chance, lol. I'm not really sure how to proceed.

P.S. Greetings from a newbie. It's nice to meet everyone here. I hope to become a more active member and contribute whenever and wherever I can.

Last edited:
Another shot of my SE:cool
IMG_9312x.jpg

So I know I'm super late to the party as usual.. but I finally caved in and picked one of these things up. I plan to completely repaint it so I went with the standard.

Thickness wise, I think it's quite nice. It's not super thick but it's definitely sturdy enough I'm not worried about backing it. The tubes bother me a bit but I don't know if I'll fix them.. then again, Spacebob did such a great job revamping his that I am considering it...

Anyone else have a go at redoing theirs?

I nabbed one for a charity walk. I have a 20th century but this is the perfect weight for long distance and conveys the right amount of Vader for the everyday punter. Love it.

Regards
T
A
Z

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P.S. Greetings from a newbie. It's nice to meet everyone here. I hope to become a more active member and contribute whenever and wherever I can.

Welcome to the forum. I honestly don't think you'll go wrong with the eFX PCR. If I still collected and it didn't cost so much here in Europe, then I would be all over it and it seems it is fairly easy to mod if you want to do that.

Here are a few quick photos of my standard.

I really hated the perfectly smooth plastic dome, so the first thing I did was add "imperfections" to it. I did this by spraying a super heavy layer of primer, and using my hands and lacquer thinner squirted on to rough up the surface. I then sanded it all back down until it was mostly smooth but it left pits, pin holes, and even lines where the lacquer thinner had run. All in all I love it.

The dome, in my opinion, just didn't have any soul. I really feel like the blemishes and hand work give it the soul it desperately needed.

I sprayed the dome and face mask with black lacquer paint not being too careful to avoid orange peel, and once dried for a few days I polished them with some Novus. I am not sure how I feel about the gun metal I used.. I feel like perhaps it could be a bit darker.

IMG_8937.JPGIMG_8936.JPGIMG_8934.JPG

So anyways.. that's what I ended up with. I'll snap some better photos in daylight when I get a chance.

I know it isn't perfect and for some they'll see it as ruining the EFX.. but I think it's a vast improvement. :)

So I finally sorted out my EFX Special Edition dome rub issues. Now, I'm looking towards putting together the full suit for a standing mannequin display. I have looked all over for some leads to get the rest of the costume, and Anovos seems to be about the only game in town for picking up the rest of the suit from a manufacturer and not having to go hunting everything down piece by piece from individuals. Trouble is, Anovos is making an ESB suit, and this helmet is ANH. I'm debating on if I'm going to be bothered by that or not since only enthusiasts would care, and not many of those will be seeing him. Anyone have a thread or search term recommendation for me on finding any other sources of ANH suit pieces before I shell out for Anovos? Or, perhaps I could go Anovos for the garments and find another source for ANH belt and chest box? Any help would be really appreciated!!

Last edited:
So I finally sorted out my EFX Special Edition dome rub issues. Now, I'm looking towards putting together the full suit for a standing mannequin display. I have looked all over for some leads to get the rest of the costume, and Anovos seems to be about the only game in town for picking up the rest of the suit from a manufacturer and not having to go hunting everything down piece by piece from individuals. Trouble is, Anovos is making an ESB suit, and this helmet is ANH. I'm debating on if I'm going to be bothered by that or not since only enthusiasts would care, and not many of those will be seeing him. Anyone have a thread or search term recommendation for me on finding any other sources of ANH suit pieces before I shell out for Anovos? Or, perhaps I could go Anovos for the garments and find another source for ANH belt and chest box? Any help would be really appreciated!!

Here's what I did mate:
IMG_4996.jpg
Bought a rubies costume for $500 and upgraded small parts and repainted most the parts :)

Here are a few quick photos of my standard.

I really hated the perfectly smooth plastic dome, so the first thing I did was add "imperfections" to it. I did this by spraying a super heavy layer of primer, and using my hands and lacquer thinner squirted on to rough up the surface. I then sanded it all back down until it was mostly smooth but it left pits, pin holes, and even lines where the lacquer thinner had run. All in all I love it.

The dome, in my opinion, just didn't have any soul. I really feel like the blemishes and hand work give it the soul it desperately needed.

I sprayed the dome and face mask with black lacquer paint not being too careful to avoid orange peel, and once dried for a few days I polished them with some Novus. I am not sure how I feel about the gun metal I used.. I feel like perhaps it could be a bit darker.

View attachment 709238View attachment 709237View attachment 709236

So anyways.. that's what I ended up with. I'll snap some better photos in daylight when I get a chance.

I know it isn't perfect and for some they'll see it as ruining the EFX.. but I think it's a vast improvement. :)

I love this. The tiny imperfections really add a lot. I'd do the same if I had one. I think it really came out great.

Like you, I wanted a "one stop" Vader so I opted for the ANOVOS ESB ensemble. The problem is, the more you get into this thing the more accurate and discerning you become, haha. *Check out my build thread for info and pics...

I think if I had it to do over, I wouldn't be worried about sourcing all the parts myself. I don't think it's difficult, just takes time...there are many good makers out there offering parts. It's finding them that is the issue. I've already replaced my gloves and inner robes/cape with more accurate pieces from 3rd party makers.

Have you checked out the info on the Sith Lord forum? That's a great resource. My advice would be to switch to the Anovos ESB and get a new helmet, or strike out on your own sticking with your ANH helmet and just source what you need over time.

HTH

Nice! I'll look closer at the Rubies. I hear some parts like the cape and the mantle aren't the best. Did you do anything to those?
Nothing as of yet. They are polyesther and you can see through them. But for this it works fine I think. Might upgrade down the line.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back