Dark Eldar Incubi Helmet

SDub

Hello RPF!

I'm passionate about warhammer lore, more specifically, that of the Dark Eldar. I'd like to create a Dark Eldar Incubi helmet. I bounced around the internet for an hour or two and I discovered some things:

1. There's no 3D model for an incubi helmet
2. There's little comprehensive information about how one takes a 2D object and recreates it as a 3D object.

This lead me to believe that I had two options, I could either create my own 3D model in software and follow that route, or mold it out of clay, and cast it.

Am I going down the correct road with this or am I missing something totally obvious?

Here's a pretty comprehensive guide but it involves knowing how to use a 3D editor, which I do not know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ07x2Wvwps

Last edited:
I have wanted to make a full suit of incubus warrior armor as well, but have never gotten around to it, so this may or may not help you here..but in the event you try your hand at something 3D..I made the front and side orthographic views of the helmet based on the cover artwork of "path of the incubus" (minus the horns).

XCl28lt.jpg

aS5zHDx.jpg

FVSQIs6.jpg

One of the issues I saw with trying to make this helmet, and anything Eldar related really, is that an Eldar head is far skinnier than a normal human head. This means the helmet will need to be wider, which in turn makes it look slightly off and not as sleek as most things crafted by Eldar. However, if that doesn't deter you, then have at it!

Hi Escher! Thank you for the orthographic pictures! I'm a total noob, what would I do with such diagrams? Lay them out on some medium and get to sculpting?

Hi Escher! Thank you for the orthographic pictures! I'm a total noob, what would I do with such diagrams? Lay them out on some medium and get to sculpting?

More or less, exactly! You can use them as guides to sculpting your own helmet either with clay or via a 3d model on the computer.

I am actualy working on this problem.
The lack of a decent nose area is a problem, especialy when you have to adjust the eyes to compensate.
I have been investigating the required base shape in Rhino, but also want to make a cast of my head, and then layer on clay till the nose is covered to see what dimensions I get.
I could then scan this in and use this as a base model for all the detailing.
base surface play.JPGcrusader helm ghosted.jpg2611f09bba7137688c9d5a657e4f3e2e.jpgEldar_Ranger_Exarch_by_biomonkz.jpg

In practical armouring, the Sugarloaf helm has many similarities with the shape and eye layout. (you can see this from my model, Im just working to cover my head model at the moment, fine tuning can come later)

Last edited:
You can scale up the helmet to compensate for this, but that can effect your eye placement.
Its quite a trick to get all these variables to work together

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back