New to model making (Star Wars Question)

chalback

Sr Member
Hey guys, I'm new to model making and just finished getting a air brush and would love to get into this hobby, My main question is who makes good star wars model kits? Also does anyone happen to know if anyone still makes a Republic Star Destroyer Venator class I know revell made one in the past but are they discontinued? I would love to make one of those and try and get my hands on a randy cooper Star Destroyer

Any help you guys can give would be great. Thanks

Right now, Bandai's Star Wars kits are the gold standard for accuracy, price, and ease of construction. They're available from sellers on Amazon, but technically they're not supposed to be available in the U.S. market. You can still get them fairly easily at reasonable prices. Right now, Bandai is only doing Star Wars kits from the OT and TFA. Revell is the only company to offer a styrene Venator, but they're still easy to find at local hobby shops and online. If nothing else, you'll find some on eBay. Good luck and welcome to the party, pal!

The only Venator kits I know of are both currently out of production. There is the Revell 1/2256 one and a jpg 1/4222 one.

Although, the Revell kit may be seeing a new release at some point in the future. Some of us have been writing them asking for a reissue and they seem to be saying ti will happen

As far as the best kits, Bandai and Fine Molds. Bandai's generally winning out in accuracy, but Fine Molds sometimes has better scaled panel lines and better decals.
Revell kits are the next best. Often they are the only kits available for those odd subjects and cover a lot that no other company has done, or fill in scales no one else has done. Generally these kits need some tweaking to get them to Bandai or Fine Molds level detail

Then there are the long out of production MPC/AMT/ERTL kits. Generally these have all been surpassed by newer kits from the companies above, but there are a few that have yet to be done, or at least done in a reasonable scale (like the B-Wing, ATT, Bongo Sub etc...)

Then there is the whole "free-for-all" if you will of garage kit makers. These are often small, or limited runs, but often are done studio scale, or cover subjects that no company has done in styrene

- - - Updated - - -

oh, and still a work in progress, and some of the info on there is not complete, kept up to date, or is 100% accurate, but nonetheless, it is still a good place to start

http://www.keeperoftheforce.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1363

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back