ANH Vader sculpt (first sculpt)

Marvinator

Hello! This is my first attempt at sculpting anything serious and I dove right in and went for something ambitious. I am using Monster Clay and have the basic shape roughed in and would appreciate any critique and criticism on the shape and placement before I start inching towards any sort of details. People seem to take Vader pretty seriously around here so I'm sure many of you will be able to see lots of flaws right away so any tips on getting it closer to the real thing would be much appreciated! This is my first post here but I've been lurking for some time now and am always in awe at the amazing things people build. Thanks for looking!
DSC_0106.jpgDSC_0111.jpgDSC_0112.jpgDSC_0124.jpgDSC_0127.jpgDSC_0131.jpgDSC_0133.jpgDSC_0135.jpgDSC_0136.jpg

After doing some side by side comparisons with photos it was pretty obvious that I had to take some off of the sides and carve a little off of the neck area, still a lot to go before I'm even close but I do think it's a bit of an improvement.
DSC_0181.jpgDSC_0177.JPGDSC_0174.JPG

I haven't posted in awhile so I thought I would share my progress, I've been slowly chipping away at it, hasn't been easy but I've been learning a lot as a I go. Right now I'm trying to dial the eyes in.
DSC_0197.JPGDSC_0200.JPGDSC_0201.JPGDSC_0204.JPGDSC_0203.JPGDSC_0202.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0199.JPG
    DSC_0199.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 130
  • DSC_0198.JPG
    DSC_0198.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 140
I just acquired a licensed 1977 Don Post helmet. I can take some pics if you need anything specific. I still need to get lenses and the mouth mesh, otherwise it is in perfect condition.

That would awesome! I could use some good shots of the eyes, especially that detail around the outside edges. Thanks again! And I might request some more as I get further if you're still up for taking a few shots.

DSC_0222.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Made a little progress, carved out the grill and made some adjustments to the neck area, slowly getting there. I'm struggling with the eyes, at the moment they're both quite different but I think the right one is closer to what I want.

I'm back! I've been working on this a lot but didn't have much progress to share until now. I added the cheek tubes which aren't perfect but I can live with them. The eyes however have been quite a struggle and those I want to get as close as possible since they hold so much character and really throw the whole thing off if done wrong. I'll be reshaping those until I get them right.
DSC_0446.jpgDSC_0450.jpgDSC_0452.jpgDSC_0455.jpgDSC_0458.jpg

Way better than I thought!

I agree the top of the forehead is the only thing that really sticks out as being "off".

I still think it's a near impossible task to sculpt from scratch something that would really match 100% to an SL or eFX or even a Quasimodo...

You really captured the look! And your first sculpt????

VERY impressive!!!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back