Eagle Transporter 1/48 (22") by Round 2 MPC

Beaut!

An aside: perhaps the lower 'windows' were also used as sensor ports? Cameras, lasers &/or radar. However, twice the cleaning and polishing job... ;^P

R/ Robert

That is a genius solution for the lighting! If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery then consider yourself flattered, because I'm imitating that! I was just about to start cutting up my Eagle to run wires to batteries in the pod section aft of the command module. Your's looks like a much more elegant solution. I take it from your photos that even when construction is complete you can remove the nose and the cockpit to access the switch? And it looks like you used magnets to hold it all together, nice.

I'd like to think they were all sitting around eating Jaffa Cakes while building the original models and said, "have a look, this wrapper is the perfect color for the cockpit lighting!"

Thanks again for sharing your great build.

Last edited:
Thanks guys

Yep VFX Freak,...the nose section just pushes on,...& the cockpit just sticks to the back of the module with magnets,....just making the pilots now & that should be the front end done

John

A wee Koenig pilot for my 22" Eagle.....Alan Carter next

IMG_4818_zpsljizepq8.jpg

IMG_4816_zpsmkfhmeuw.jpg

IMG_4815_zpss8w8lyec.jpg

IMG_4813_zpsd8fkim4i.jpg

IMG_4817_zpsasipktkl.jpg

Thanks for looking
John

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only just got the spine assembled on mine so I have a long long way to go. I will be using your fantastic build as a guide. I think you nailed it! The subtlety of the weathering and panel work is perfect IMHO. You've set the bar very high. Well done, and thanks for posting so many pics of the process.
I bet your still flying it around the room , I know I would ;)

Thanks Craig g

Thats me almost done with the 22" Eagle....just a couple of bits to touch up

Here she is with my earlier attempts of Eagle models:

IMG_4860_zpsrjv5nq9l.jpg

IMG_4859_zpszaptsnvh.jpg

IMG_4858_zpsg9zweute.jpg

IMG_4857_zpsxfwwmlns.jpg

IMG_4856_zpsixwydbnr.jpg

IMG_4855_zpsvadx0gam.jpg

IMG_4854_zpsrp3y9jbb.jpg

IMG_4853_zpsmygr3uhy.jpg

IMG_4852_zpshhfikjqz.jpg

IMG_4851_zpsrckskil1.jpg

Thanks for looking

John

J, we have virtually the same Eagle "wreckage" in our pasts. To think of the time I spent drilling and cutting those cages just to maybe get the kit to even slightly look like the original... This is why we need to constantly pressure kit makers to give us better kits. I'd rather invest my time and creativity in making a good kit even better than struggling (and more often than not failing) to perform major surgery just to get a kit somewhere in the same ballpark as the original.

J, we have virtually the same Eagle "wreckage" in our pasts. To think of the time I spent drilling and cutting those cages just to maybe get the kit to even slightly look like the original... This is why we need to constantly pressure kit makers to give us better kits. I'd rather invest my time and creativity in making a good kit even better than struggling (and more often than not failing) to perform major surgery just to get a kit somewhere in the same ballpark as the original.

Ha,...yeah,....don't know if I'll ever finish them,....the Warp isn't bad,...but it's a bit chunky.......Round 2 were asking for suggestions for future Space 1999 models,.....I'm sure they could produce a 72nd downscale version of the 22" Eagle......it would compete with their own MPC re-issure of the old kit,...but it would sell like hotcakes.....imagine the variations

J

Imagine the P!55ed off people that bought another MPC reissue... plunking down more money to get a good eagle (myself included).

Jedi Dade

Excellent work!

How is the fit on the cockpit. Does it easily snap in pretty good without gaps?

I have this on the bench and was wondering whether to glue it on a seal the gaps or not. Just dry fitting it looks like it wants to for the two halves to open up when putting it in place

So, did you have fun?

R/ Robert

Oh.....yus!!.....it went together like a dream,...no issues at all,....basically a straight OOB build

You're gonna sell her?! I'd feel like I'd cut off a limb after that much work. Beautiful job.
I hope your selling to build another ;) or is it time for 44 inch of awesome

Thanks VFX & VFH.....yep,...up for sale.....I had pre-ordered the kit,.....then for some reason it got cancelled....I mentioned to Chris in my local model shop, "Modellers Nook" in Belfast & he said he had ordered a few,....I asked him to keep one over,...then he had problems,....So I re-ordered one from Forbidden Planet UK,...which arrived,....that's the one that I have built,....then Chris's order came in....I didn't want to let him down,...so thats the second one

Excellent work!

How is the fit on the cockpit. Does it easily snap in pretty good without gaps?

I have this on the bench and was wondering whether to glue it on a seal the gaps or not. Just dry fitting it looks like it wants to for the two halves to open up when putting it in place

The fit is petty good,....there is an open seam......I've gotten used to it, doesn't bother me,....but gluing would close it up.
I keep it like this because I pull he cone off to access the switch, then it just pushes back on again,.....Thanks Blake

That is a beautiful build up!
Love the pilots in their simple uniforms instead of spacesuit- what did you base the figures from?

Thank you Richard,....I used WWII pilot figures that I found on eBay,...£6 each,...then carved the flying cap off him & gave him a side parting

John

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back