Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg's Sausage Party (Post-release)

Saw a YT video, since removed, of someone's cam of a spirited hard-core orgy scene between food items.

All righty then.

so, do the social justice warriors have a point with this one, or is the humor pulled off better than feigbusters can ever hope?

every group could have a valid complaint if you have zero sense of humour. All the taco stuff could be considered offensive for sure, she's written like how racist dumb people see Mexicans. Salma Hayak came up with a lot of the lines herself that everyone thinks go to far, but then she got the joke.

I have a very open sense of humor and don't get offended by much at all. I saw the trailer for this and just wasn't interested. The flailing of cuss words in the redband trailer just felt like it was done to keep that R rating secured and I just didn't genuinely find it funny. I don't reflect that on anything to do with editing, it just didn't look that good.

Huge kudos to you for getting to work as an editor on a Hollywood film!!! Amazing!

Article in todays Washington Post that you need to check out, about how some of the Animators were not paid for overtime and people were not properly " Credited" as well as threatned with being blacklisted if they complained :eek

- My "Union authorized" credit (or whoever clears credits). Here in Canada I'm an editor. I have an editing supervisor. Rightfully, he got big the title credit, but I got dropped to "1st Assistant Editor". :angry . In animation, assistants usually don't edit picture. It was a tad insulting after THREE YEARS. I was also crammed with two other "Assistants" who only worked a few months. Ah well. I fought for my proper credit, or even "Picture Editor" credit... but nope.

Article in todays Washington Post that you need to check out, about how some of the Animators were not paid for overtime and people were not properly " Credited" as well as threatned with being blacklisted if they complained :eek

Oh I've seen, heh.

The long and short of it is this... Nitrogen is a tough studio that has been a good experience for some, and a bad for others. I'm perfectly happy there.

I've had problems, but I've gone to management and dealt with it behind closed doors. Others not so much... Others post anonymously on forums and try to sink the ship.

Nitrogen has a blanket policy that if you don't finish your contract, you get no credit. Simple. Many of these animators broke their contracts and so got no credit.

They claim that it was horrible working conditions... yet others think it's great... They say the boss is an ******* (and he can be), but others like him a lot.

This turned into a "let's sink nitrogen" quest, and I went on the forum and defended. Unlike ALL of the other posters, I didn't hide behind an anonymous signature... I owed up and put my name, and now I'm being just TRASHED online... they are getting into my personal **** now.

Honestly I'm just tired of it all.

I'm sure there were people hard done by, but there are way better ways to handle it. I've handled events like this and everyone left happy. It was a first go at a feature for this studio, and there were mistakes made...

But when you're fighting to keep a project going, and every week 2 or 3 people are abandoning ship for more money at another studio... It just made it all the harder to finish. But we did, and I'm proud of my fellow crew, and proud to have worked, and continue to work, with them.

Oh I've seen, heh.

The long and short of it is this... Nitrogen is a tough studio that has been a good experience for some, and a bad for others. I'm perfectly happy there.

I've had problems, but I've gone to management and dealt with it behind closed doors. Others not so much... Others post anonymously on forums and try to sink the ship.

Nitrogen has a blanket policy that if you don't finish your contract, you get no credit. Simple. Many of these animators broke their contracts and so got no credit.

They claim that it was horrible working conditions... yet others think it's great... They say the boss is an ******* (and he can be), but others like him a lot.

This turned into a "let's sink nitrogen" quest, and I went on the forum and defended. Unlike ALL of the other posters, I didn't hide behind an anonymous signature... I owed up and put my name, and now I'm being just TRASHED online... they are getting into my personal **** now.

I'm sure there were people hard done by, but there are way better ways to handle it. I've handled events like this and everyone left happy. It was a first go at a feature for this studio, and there were mistakes made...

But when you're fighting to keep a project going, and every week 2 or 3 people are abandoning ship for more money at another studio... It just made it all the harder to finish. But we did, and I'm proud of my fellow crew, and proud to have worked, and continue to work, with them.

I have to agree with you there!

You can't get credit for ALMOST completing something. ;)

Oh I've seen, heh.

I doubt that studio is worse than others. From what you say I find it easy to believe that it's much better than other studios.

At the same time...knowing even a little about the business...they were probably treated like slaves and they probably have a point in their complaints.

There's a reason people like me take sell-out jobs doing videos for corporations and it's because right now the CG people are the softest of the soft targets. If something has to give in a movie (and something always does) it's going to be given by the CG people. That's not likely to change anytime soon either since usually when they start talking about doing something about it someone suggests getting like 12 people to go protest international tax policy of other countries...which is slightly LESS effective than me protesting the fact that it sometimes rains. Even this current little outrage is not going to result in anything. Nitrogen isn't the problem and never was. The fact that we're content to be stand alone entities is.

Again, from what you've said, I doubt Nitrogen is worse than other places and it's probably WAY better than most. IN THE ANIMATION WORLD. But, compared to say...for example...the sell-out job I took: you're slaves. You get to work on cool films which I'm actually VERY jealous of, while I animate the science of corrosion for the DoD, (making things rust is about as exciting as it sounds) but I don't have to know how many hours you work or what you get paid to know that unless you're getting points, it's crap compared to what I make. I also don't have to know anything at all about your bosses to know that I probably get treated better overall. That's not a brag..it's comment on the fact that my chosen profession regularly treats the workers like **** because it can.

We're the only aspect in the entire industry that doesn't band together, and any one person, no matter who that person is is very easy to replace when you only have to deal with one or two. On live action films the guy plugging in extension cords is better protected. There is almost zero incentive not to treat them like garbage.

also...not for nothing, but the policy about no credit is also BS. Of course you get credit for partial. It's called partial credit. Did you use their work? Then you should say you used their work. It's gotten so bad that animators actually say thank you when getting whipped these days. Once again...I'm VERY jealous when I see my friends with credits from This, or Warcraft, Man of Steel, Peanuts...then they tell me what their day to day is like and suddenly...I feel like calling my boss to kiss his back side in thanks for not treating me like that.

Once again: nothing against Nitrogen...I have no personal knowledge of that studio, for all I know they are the blessed angels of the animation world. This is more commentary on the animation world in general.

~~~~~~

Still haven't seen this movie. Still want to. I think it looks funny and given the group of people involved, I think some offensiveness is to be expected.

Disney has a love hate relationship with employees too. When I went to the Art Institute all you heard were horror stories about how controlling the company was and such. The animation industry isn't an easy one to work for, the hours are long and demanding and artists aren't always the easiest folks to get along with. The game industry ran into this issue with unpaid overtime for their animators as well. Having had an instructor who owned a small animation studio in Pittsburgh and who had worked on one of the Evil Dead movies doing stop motion I can say there are some very unpleasant folks in the industry but another instructor was one of the nicest people you'd ever meet and went out of his way to help. It's just another industry that has strong personalities.

Last night I watched "Whiplash" and it kind of reminded me of this whole sitch.

See to me, the animation industry is a lot like being in that Jazz band in Whiplash. If you wanna be at the top of your game, work on the big projects, you're going to have to work harder, longer, and get yelled at once in a while. It's art. People get REALLY emotional about art.

This isn't high school band. If I high school band teacher yells at you for being off tempo, yes it's a problem.

But if you're trying to get into the best Jazz Band in the country, on a competitive level, and then aren't willing to bleed for it... work through the night for it... get yelled at for it...

Stay in high school band.

I lost 3 years of my life and a piece of my soul for this flick... I'm not even a fan of the movie.... but I did it cuz I wanted to edit on a feature. And already it has paid off... paid off in ways that could be BIG for my career.

Exciting big.

Big in a way that first year animation juniors are never going to see if they don't lose that entitlement BS.

Disney has a love hate relationship with employees too. When I went to the Art Institute all you heard were horror stories about how controlling the company was and such. The animation industry isn't an easy one to work for, the hours are long and demanding and artists aren't always the easiest folks to get along with. The game industry ran into this issue with unpaid overtime for their animators as well. Having had an instructor who owned a small animation studio in Pittsburgh and who had worked on one of the Evil Dead movies doing stop motion I can say there are some very unpleasant folks in the industry but another instructor was one of the nicest people you'd ever meet and went out of his way to help. It's just another industry that has strong personalities.

I find any studio you go to, some group in there thinks it's the worst place on earth.

And yet they stay there and keep drudging away miserable. It wasn't the best thing for teachers to tell a bunch of 18 year old college kids who already had issues with authority lol. Then again my one 3d max teacher told us about the long hours he had while working for 2k games back when it still had an office near Pittsburgh and that scared off a lot of folks too. Apparently the game industry has improved some since the mid 1990s.

Re: Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg's Sausage Party....

The budget for this film was SCARY low... they *Seth and Evan) just happened to have a friend who knew of a studio in Vancouver BC that can put out top quality work on a shoe string budget. The budget for this was SO low, people in the industry were expecting this to look like South Park or bad flash animation.

And it looks really, really good.

They were making the animators work overtime without paying them. Anyone that complained was blacklisred.

Alas there is more to the story...a lot more.

And there was paid overtime for those who finished their weekly quota. Which was easily attainable by most.

also, blacklisted makes zero sense... How can a studio no one has heard of before this blacklist anyone?

Last edited:
This movie is frikkin great!!

I thoroughly enjoyed it, I was really looking forward to it for a while so I had that worry it wouldn't live up to it. But it did in spades.

It runs really well with a good pace of jokes all the way through, there was no real drop off in the comedy from start to finish. It was refreshing as well to have no PC filter on it at all, just sit back and laugh.

The animation is excellent quality, sits right up there with any high budget cartoon.

There wasn't really anything i didn't like. Maybe Frank's 2nd go at convincing everyone to join the fight shoud ave been more of an "I told you so" moment than a grovelly call to action. Oh, and whoever did Sgt Pepper's scouse accent needs a punch upside the head.

Didn't feel there was too much swearing, I'm from Liverpool and share an office with a Scot and a North Irish. Swear words are punctuation to us, I rarely notice it in TV an movies these days. I notice more when there isn't any.

Meatloaf was awesome, as were the polite Canadian beer cans. Sweet T2 nod as well.

Wife liked it too. She has now taken to calling me Flappy ****!!

There wasn't really anything i didn't like. Maybe Frank's 2nd go at convincing everyone to join the fight shoud ave been more of an "I told you so" moment than a grovelly call to action. Oh, and whoever did Sgt Pepper's scouse accent needs a punch upside the head.

I always felt that was a double beat that didn't need to happen... having another character say "Oh this guy again!" does not excuse it.

I also feel it ends too many times. Oh they won! Oh it's an orgy! Oh it's a portal!

There was even ONE MORE ENDING... where they end up in the real world and see Seth, Micheal Cera and Ed Norton eating at a diner and attack...

I BELIEVE the Sgt. Pepper is Seth Rogen, heh. I know he did it as a scratch track for a bit... but maybe it got dubbed over for when the brought in people to do the "Walla" pass and "minor characters" (like the other buns... etc) It's all a blur now.

I was the bag of dog food until the last cut... they couldn't get me in as there are so many stupid loopholes to jump through cuz of acting unions. I'm not in the union, so I'm taking the spot of someone who is... Even though MY read was the best ha ha.

Canadian Beer cans were all Evan Goldberg!

Glad you liked it!

Last edited:
The portal was a step too far, glad they cut the diner scene I think it would've been too much.

Bad luck on the dog food, that would've been cool.

The portal was a step too far, glad they cut the diner scene I think it would've been too much.

Bad luck on the dog food, that would've been cool.

You can see bits of the other side of the portal reused in this promo...

Edited by some Canadian losers....

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back