Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg's Sausage Party (Post-release)

Re: Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg's Sausage Party....

True. After all these decades of the rating system parents are still idiots. The people who did it with deadpool did it on purpose because the studio wouldn't give them an pg13 version fo their special little snowflakes.

Already hearing a bit of "Well this isn't fair that there's a cute animated movie we can't take the kids too!"

There are plenty of flicks for the kiddies out there.

Already hearing a bit of "Well this isn't fair that there's a cute animated movie we can't take the kids too!"

There are plenty of flicks for the kiddies out there.

Yeah but they're too stupid to look for them, they want an instant babysitter. My faith in humanity falters every time i see that parenting has suddenly become a lost art when folks whine like this instead of just dealing with it.

Looks seriously messed up, but it made me laugh, so I'll watch it;)...it'll give little kids nightmares if the stupid parents don't realise what it's like before going:lol

Forgot to post this...

I cut this as well...

How about that BBQ shot?! eh?!?

The conversation went like this:

"Can we get a shot of a BBQ being pushed into a pool?"

"Uhhhh... I can SHOOT a BBQ being pushed into a pool... if there's money to put into it... but there's no royalty free footage like that..."

"Hmmmm... What else ya got?"

"I can blow up a BBQ using crappy particle illusion"

"Stop digging, you've struck gold!"

Last edited by a moderator:

It was really that expensive to film a BBQ being pushed into a pool? Considering what the actors make you'd think this would cost next to nothing.

It was really that expensive to film a BBQ being pushed into a pool? Considering what the actors make you'd think this would cost next to nothing.

Not really that expensive, but it would have pushed back schedules for commercials (cuz I would need to find a pool... find a BBQ... find someone who doesn't mind me pushing a BBQ into a pool) all for 3 seconds of footage.

So I went with particle illusion (cuz getting someone in FX in the studio to create something would have been even more expensive than shooting it)

As a plus, it looks so crappy it's kind of funny.

Also, this movie was done CHEEEEAAAAP... most actors worked for scale (I believe)

It fits in with the movie and feels like a political ad. I was thinking a 10.00 walmart table top grill getting shoved into a 20.00 kid's pool lol

So, I have no interest in this movie, but did they get in trouble or something, for the advertising? I've seen commercials before, but the one I saw last night specifically stated in voice over "this movie is rated R" at the start, and again said aloud "rated R" at the end. Made me think that there must've been complaints about it looking like a kids' movie.

So, I have no interest in this movie, but did they get in trouble or something, for the advertising? I've seen commercials before, but the one I saw last night specifically stated in voice over "this movie is rated R" at the start, and again said aloud "rated R" at the end. Made me think that there must've been complaints about it looking like a kids' movie.

Well the trailer DID mistakenly play before Finding Dory, which upset a lot of people.

But when i cut commercials I'm given a ridiculous list of things that need to be added for different markets and to air at different times.

Like the add above, I had to do a version without "Eyes gouged and head torn apart" so the commercial could air before 9...

And some markets won't allow the bong, so there's a version for that.

Then the states has Rated R

but Canada has nothing, no "R" anywhere on the commercial cuz it's unrated.

It goes on and an...

Welp!

Back from the Premier screening in LA... finally after 3 years of this soul sucking project, I got to sit and watch it with an audience instead of me and the Editing supe in a small room.

It went over pretty well... lots of laughs, but since it was filled with people hyped to be at a premiere, it wasn't the best gauge...

So yesterday when I got back I went to the "Friends and Family" screening - to get a better idea of what humor lands - but this time there were fewer laughs. Turns out it was less friends and family and more just "The people currently at the studio... who have all seen it..." So no surprises.

SO, even though I've seen it an estimated 182 times, I decided to go for `183, and jumped into a 7:30 screening last night at the last minute. I walked through the dark theater, grabbed a seat in the very back (it was quite packed) and waited for the laughs.

The first "should make you chuckle" moment hit... nothing. There was laughing, but about the same as the earlier screening I was at.

Then the flick ended, and there was wild applause and cheering through the entire theater.

Yup, the entire theater was the studio again... this time the people who weren't at the earlier screening because they currently work at another studio.

So I have no gauge on how the flick plays... and after seeing it 183 times, I think I'm done. I can't watch it again.

I've lost all perspective on whether it's funny or not, so it'll be interesting to see if people review it here. I honestly want to know... but as much as I can, here's my review!

The PROS!

- Great animation. I'm not really an animation guy... I edit. I edit because when I got in the animation industry I didn't have a knack or passion for it so I bailed. I do know crap animation from good animation though, and there's some great animation in this flick. Especially for the budget, which was SMAAAALL.

- Micheal Cera's "Barry". Michael Cera came up with a LOT of the little weird things Barry says in the flick. He's friggin hilarious. Barry is by far the best thing.

- Good pace... moves quickly. I'm not talking editing... the story structure is solid for "High Concept" script...

- The kitchen scene. Over played in trailers and such, but if you went in cold, that scene would kill. Still really well done/directed.

- James Franco druggie - Funny. Good stuff all around.

- The montage... 90's "I would do anything for love"... who was the genius who picked that song?!?! (heh heh heh)

- Jonah Hill's "Carl" - Some of the funniest stuff. But I'm a Jonah Hill fan.

- Nitrogen Studios. I've been there 10 years and everyone who worked on this did a BANG up job. I mean really, for the time, and resources, not a lot of studios could pull off a film that looks this good! Great crew all around.

THE CONS!

- TOO MUCH SWEARING!! - And this is even toned down from what it was. But then at the same time, if it were live action I don't think anyone would really care that much... but it stands out like a sore thumb in this movie. I'm not AGAINST swearing btw... I have a pretty fowl mouth... but man.

- Still not a fan of the Character Design. Barry is cute... but I dunno about the rest... The designs don't bug me like on day one, but I'm guessing I'm just used to it.

- Kristen Wiig is sweet, but I don't really like the Brenda character.

- I REALLY don't like Teresa Del Taco.

- The end sequence (you'll know it when you see it) is not NEARLY as nasty as they make it out to be. There is a MUCH MUCH MUCH worse version that got chopped out. Things that would go down in history as "What the FRAK was that?!?! DID YOU SEE THAT?!?!)... but then it wouldn't have gone to theaters... just to back rooms of video stores (If it were still the 90's)

- The whole attempt to have a deeper meaning by attacking religion wasn't needed. As I understand, the original point was hotdogs trying to get laid by buns - that would have been good enough.

- It could have been funnier (I think?)... I feel there were funnier cuts that I would have liked a lot more, but then I haven't made millions on comedies, so what do I know? ha.

- My "Union authorized" credit (or whoever clears credits). Here in Canada I'm an editor. I have an editing supervisor. Rightfully, he got big the title credit, but I got dropped to "1st Assistant Editor". :angry . In animation, assistants usually don't edit picture. It was a tad insulting after THREE YEARS. I was also crammed with two other "Assistants" who only worked a few months. Ah well. I fought for my proper credit, or even "Picture Editor" credit... but nope.

Overall, having little sense anymore how it plays as an actual film, I would give it a 6.5 to 7 out of 10.

So yeah, anyone see it? Let's hear it. I may add more as it comes to me, but for now these are my main thoughts.

Since I saw the first trailer I've been desperate to see this. I've lost count of the number of people I've pointed towards it.

The potato skinning scene alone is my favourite comedy of the year so far!! Its my new catchphrase, when I'm at home I PG it for the kid, but I do have a 5yr old girl running round shouting "cheeses fudge!" all the time!

Unfortunately its not out here until the 2nd September, but I'll certainly post my honest thoughts when I get to it.

The potato skinning scene alone is my favourite comedy of the year so far!! Its my new catchphrase, when I'm at home I PG it for the kid, but I do have a 5yr old girl running round shouting "cheeses fudge!" all the time!

Nice. The voice was Greg Tiernan, one of the two directors.

Just got back went with a big group everyone laughed and laughed hard!

I can't BELIEVE they got away with some of the things in that Movie!

LOVED every minute!!

The girls recoiled in horror at the "you know what" on the street!

Saw a trailer... and no way am I watching this. This is meant to be funny? Add Seth Rogan to the list of names that are no-go for films for me. The Potato scene was enough to edge me into disgust. Torture 'jokes' plus excessive swearing and racist stereotypes just aren't what I'd call humour.

Oh this is not for everybody ESPECIALLY the easily offended.

This has something in it to offend any and all who see it!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back