3D rendering and ordering at Shapeways & Co

opal1970

Hi All,

Maybe someone can help me out, I need to create a piece that looks similar to a turbo laser from an X-Wing (or rather a part of it - see below). I have not done any 3D rendering at all, and could use some advice as to which software is easy to get a hang of and is accepted by all the 3D printing companies.

Secondly, I will probably not order it from Shapeways as I live in Germany and that just raises the postage and delivery time. Therefore I will likely order from Trinckle as they are based in Germany. So if anyone has had expirience with Trinckle your thoughts would also be much appreciated.

At any rate, the piece that I need to create is similar to the round fan-like part here...

X-Wing_TurboLaser.PNG

I need this in about 4 different sizes and I need them pretty small (the largest about 5mm diameter), so I am assuming that changing the scale of a 3D render is child's play as opposed to scratch building them.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Those (on the original model) are heatsinks. Someone on the board should be able to supply you with replicas at 'actual' size, though if they are 3D printed, yes, they can be scaled & printed again.

If you are keen to try this yourself, the silhouette can be drawn in a vector or raster graphics program and 'extruded' in a 3D program. Shapeways has a piece of software for doing this. Others may as well.

-MJ

Hi All,

Maybe someone can help me out, I need to create a piece that looks similar to a turbo laser from an X-Wing (or rather a part of it - see below). I have not done any 3D rendering at all, and could use some advice as to which software is easy to get a hang of and is accepted by all the 3D printing companies.

Secondly, I will probably not order it from Shapeways as I live in Germany and that just raises the postage and delivery time. Therefore I will likely order from Trinckle as they are based in Germany. So if anyone has had expirience with Trinckle your thoughts would also be much appreciated.

At any rate, the piece that I need to create is similar to the round fan-like part here...

View attachment 598433

I need this in about 4 different sizes and I need them pretty small (the largest about 5mm diameter), so I am assuming that changing the scale of a 3D render is child's play as opposed to scratch building them.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I don´t have any advice reg. the actual model you are looking for, BUT Shapeways has a factory in Eindhoven/ Netherlands, so you don´t have to worry about import fees/ taxes. Shipping is a standard 8 Euro ;)

I don´t have any advice reg. the actual model you are looking for, BUT Shapeways has a factory in Eindhoven/ Netherlands, so you don´t have to worry about import fees/ taxes. Shipping is a standard 8 Euro ;)

Hi Markus,
Thanks for the tip. That does make Shapeways much more attractive.

I am not really looking for that entire piece off the X-Wing, but something similar to that particular area. I just drew up an example of what I would need. If I understand the process correctly it would be only a matter of making a STL file out of it.

Capture3.PNG

Here's a photo of MoffEaton's replica X-wing, with a good look at the heatsink.

Attachments

• L1090116.jpg
    L1090116.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 73
Here's a photo of MoffEaton's replica X-wing, with a good look at the heatsink.

Thanks Mike, yes that gear-looking piece inside of the heatsink is very close to what I am going for. You also gave me an idea... as I need this in a very small print and it needs to allow light through between the ribs, it might be easier to break it up into components to print and then assemble the components.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back