X-Wing Miniatures: Poe Dameron repaint

DirtyBrush

Hey guys, long time no see

I've had a little break from modelling recently, and that's mainly because of Uni work, but my time and money have been consumed by the X-Wing miniatures game which is awesome.
Anyway, I use Poe Dameron in my squadron quite a lot, so I figured that he should have a fittingly painted T-70...

I'd already made and painted the Revell 1/50 scale Poe, so I figured I should be able to manage this. I basecoated the miniature in a very dark gunmetal, then painted the silver and orange, gave it a black wash, and then a drybrushed highlight of grey.

Here's a picture of what it looked like before, and what it ended up as. I'd love to hear your opinions on the paintjob!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 270
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 218
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 174
Hi DirtyBrush,

How big is that? I am guessing it is pretty tiny, which for the scale your paint job is not bad at all.

the only thing, is that it looks a bit "bulged" in places as if the paint was too thick. Did you stripe the old paint or did you paint over it? If you panted over it that is probably the reason, at that size it can make a real difference if you have one coat or 2 coats of paint. I prefer to paint with very thinned paint... I have to do more layers (which takes a lot more time), but I think the end result is worth the effort.

Hi DirtyBrush,

How big is that? I am guessing it is pretty tiny, which for the scale your paint job is not bad at all.

the only thing, is that it looks a bit "bulged" in places as if the paint was too thick. Did you stripe the old paint or did you paint over it? If you panted over it that is probably the reason, at that size it can make a real difference if you have one coat or 2 coats of paint. I prefer to paint with very thinned paint... I have to do more layers (which takes a lot more time), but I think the end result is worth the effort.

Hi there

The model is meant to be 1/270, so it's pretty damn small! I realise I should have added a picture with something in it for scale, so here's one with me holding it...

As for the painting, I didn't strip the original paint as I don't really have anything to hand to do that, but I did paint it in fairly thin layers (3 layers), so maybe, like you said, it just built up a little too much?

Thanks for the feedback, man!

Attachments

• poet70mini.jpg
    poet70mini.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 126
Looks great! I just picked up the T-70 expansion a few days ago. I surprised they don't make an ace variant painted like Poe's.

Chris

Nice work!

Those minis aren't exactly crisp to begin with and the washes they slap on them are way too heavy handed.

The zoomed in camera pics just have a way of exaggerating things that don't look that way in person

Striping the paint would probably help, but I'm not sure if it's really worth it since it won't make that much of a difference

I'd be worried about damaging the guns since I don't know what kind of material they use for the models themselves

The zoomed in camera pics just have a way of exaggerating things that don't look that way in person

That is the truth. I cannot count how many times I finish a section, pat myself on the back, take a picture, upload it, and think... "Man, that looks like $%&§." :)

But seriously, I hope my comment above was not taken the wrong way. For the scale that is fantastic work.

That is the truth. I cannot count how many times I finish a section, pat myself on the back, take a picture, upload it, and think... "Man, that looks like $%&§." :)

But seriously, I hope my comment above was not taken the wrong way. For the scale that is fantastic work.

I have the same problem with just about everything I do. I always notice seem lines, smudged paint, lumpy/bumpy paint etc...

Nice work!

Those minis aren't exactly crisp to begin with and the washes they slap on them are way too heavy handed.

Striping the paint would probably help, but I'm not sure if it's really worth it since it won't make that much of a difference

I'd be worried about damaging the guns since I don't know what kind of material they use for the models themselves

Thanks very much! And yeah, I've always been cautious about exposing models to chemicals, because knowing me I'd melt them...

The amount of times I've taken a picture and had to go back in to correct something I hadn't noticed before...
I always like to look at my models from at least a couple of feet away or squint, haha

And your comments were definitely not taken any way but the right way, I appreciate the feedback!

Looks great! I just picked up the T-70 expansion a few days ago. I surprised they don't make an ace variant painted like Poe's.

Chris

I would've thought the Core set T-70 would be painted as Poe's, since he comes as the main pilot for it, but oh well. I wouldn't be surprised if they released one eventually, but I can't see one coming out anytime soon. I personally can't get enough of it at the moment, it's definitely my favourite ship to fly right now!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back