Re: Yaris X Wing - Hasbro Hero- Open Wings & Mods

Two down, two to go....

Attachments

• IMG_1060.JPG
    IMG_1060.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 123

Two down, two to go....

Keep it up brother ! I just put the fuselage together last night and it was a NIGHTMARE ! The cheap waxy plastic was a bear....I wish I just scratch built everything at this point. But, the end is near....I hope to be painting it this weekend.

See you at the finish line !

Keep it up brother ! I just put the fuselage together last night and it was a NIGHTMARE ! The cheap waxy plastic was a bear....I wish I just scratch built everything at this point. But, the end is near....I hope to be painting it this weekend.

See you at the finish line !

A frustrating beast indeed this is.....;) ....but I've found that as rubbish as the plastic is the shapes are reasonably accurate to build from and create molds to cast which is what I have done to get the overall thing working for me. I'm not going for super accuracy, the sheer size is the interest for me.

Last edited:

Got all four cannons cast and primed some of the front engine/wing detail to see what it looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_1080.JPG
    IMG_1080.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1079.JPG
    IMG_1079.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1078.JPG
    IMG_1078.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1077.JPG
    IMG_1077.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1075.JPG
    IMG_1075.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1074.JPG
    IMG_1074.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Glued the end cannon pieces on, they are my own interpretation............. like much detail on my build;)

Attachments

• IMG_1087.JPG
    IMG_1087.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1088.JPG
    IMG_1088.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Cannons are done, they need a little sanding, but good enough for me. Heated some 1mm foam PVC for the fin surround to get a curve to make it easier to bend around.

Attachments

• IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1137.JPG
    IMG_1137.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1133.JPG
    IMG_1133.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1134.JPG
    IMG_1134.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1135.JPG
    IMG_1135.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Slowly getting to the end...well paint anyway. Glued the cannons on and drilled the side fuselage holes and stuck some pen tube in the holes. Once painted it'll be fine.....;)

Attachments

• IMG_1161.JPG
    IMG_1161.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1162.JPG
    IMG_1162.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1163.JPG
    IMG_1163.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1164.JPG
    IMG_1164.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1165.JPG
    IMG_1165.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1157.JPG
    IMG_1157.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1156.JPG
    IMG_1156.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1155.JPG
    IMG_1155.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1158.JPG
    IMG_1158.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1159.JPG
    IMG_1159.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Getting there !

We'll probably be painting at the same time....

Pcoz

Re: Big X Wing Build - 70cm/28" - Open Wings & Mods

Painted the internal rear engines and glued the inserts in. The torpedo tubes need a bit of smoothing out also.

Attachments

• IMG_1192.JPG
    IMG_1192.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1193.JPG
    IMG_1193.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 103
Re: Big X Wing Build - 70cm/28" - Open Wings & Mods

I knew this beast would be big, but crickey it is impressive when assembled ;) I got everything together to see how it fits and now it's a little closer to being done.

Attachments

• IMG_1198.JPG
    IMG_1198.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1200.JPG
    IMG_1200.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1203.JPG
    IMG_1203.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1204.JPG
    IMG_1204.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1217.JPG
    IMG_1217.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1222.JPG
    IMG_1222.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1254.JPG
    IMG_1254.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Re: Big Hasbro X Wing Build - 70cm/28" - Open Wings & Mods

Most impressive

It's awesome seeing the wings opened up one of these. I have one still in the box and am hoping someday to be going down this same road

Yaris,
I'm really enjoying watching this build !
Id like to know more about your internal block...how you set it up. How it's attached. How you insert the wings. Is it possible to design a block to display in both open and closed wing configurations? How you use it to set up the mount etc. any info would be really interesting and helpful.

Most impressive

It's awesome seeing the wings opened up one of these. I have one still in the box and am hoping someday to be going down this same road

Thx:D I've left it set up inside for a while just to appreciate it's size. I always wanted a bigger X Wing than the sizes available and this 'toy' is quiet accurate in parts and scale and with a little work;) getting the wings open and fixing some other things, it can turn out very nice. I've kept it reasonably simple as I'm not interested in an open cockpit or lighting it, so that saved a ton of work. There's still a fair bit of work to do like paint, weathering and filling the wing intersect parts, but I'm pleased with how it's turning out.

Last edited:

Yaris,
I'm really enjoying watching this build !
Id like to know more about your internal block...how you set it up. How it's attached. How you insert the wings. Is it possible to design a block to display in both open and closed wing configurations? How you use it to set up the mount etc. any info would be really interesting and helpful.

Well, I'm no expert, so I just used two pieces of 70 x 35 framing timber wood to fill the gap where the wings need to be mounted. I made it as big as possible in that space, cut a 10mm plastic base plate for the body mounting rod, glued the base plate to the floor of the fuselage, glued the wood to the plate and then put the fuselage together, lined up the wings and drilled oversized holes for the wing rods to go into the wood.

I used 6mm drill rod for the wing mounts as I thought wood dowel may be to weak, the wings are surprisingly heavy once the cannons, internal and external engines are mounted. I used the hole in the base plate as a guide to drill through the wood block to get depth for the main body mounting rod. That rod is drill rod for now, but it will probably be clear acrylic rod when finished.

I considered having it possible to open and close the wings and it can be done by copying the way some of the smaller kit/models have the wing open/close mechanism. It wouldn't really be that hard. All the X Wings I've ever had have always been mounted or hung in open flying mode. I just like them better that way so no real reason (for me) to have that feature, but it's definitely doable.

Some photos of the block/plate/drill rod/mounting etc.....not pretty, but it's not visible once completed.

Attachments

• IMG_0929.JPG
    IMG_0929.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0785.JPG
    IMG_0785.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0784.JPG
    IMG_0784.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0782.JPG
    IMG_0782.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1198.JPG
    IMG_1198.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Yaris. That sounds great. I was thinking of it would be possible to rig it like smaller X wing kits.
I have a couple more questions.

What at exactly is the function of ur plastic base plate?

Also did u use some sort of jig to assure that you drilled at proper angle ?

Also so how did u cut the drill rod? That need a hacksaw?

Thanks

den

I have a couple more questions. What at exactly is the function of ur plastic base plate? Also did u use some sort of jig to assure that you drilled at proper angle ? Also so how did u cut the drill rod? That need a hacksaw?

The base plate gave me a level surface to glue the blocks on to. Without it there isn't really anything flat and solid to glue too, just the inner shell of the fuselage. I didn't use a jig, because over the years I've done a lot of drilling through my job, I just did it by eye, but if it's an issue, right angle drill accessories are cheap or even a small builders square would work.

I cut up all the drill rod in a vice with a hacksaw.

For display purposes, it might be possible to have two sets of holes for the wing rods... you could also make sets of paired plastic sheet "blanking plates" to fill the gap(s) depending on which display mode you were using.

Of course, having a mechanism to allow a remotely controlled powered wing movement would have been awesome, too! But how often would that be needed? ;^D

R/ Robert

I was looking at SS modeling section and there are plenty of modeler sthereal that have used an aluminum armature that is adjustable. There even seems to be one available for a reasonable price. I'm not sure if that one would fit in this bird or not. Also I looked at the armature parts in detail and I'm not sure where the "stop" or "catch" is that keeps the wings from opening too wide.

I was was thinking a piece of pvc pipe may work as the internal support/mount. Drill the appropriate holes and then Maybe fill it with gorilla glue or foam for added support.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back