144th scale FM Falcon with cloaking device

newmagrathea

Sr Member
I decided slap my Finemolds Falcon together. It was super easy, I think I spent more time masking for the paint then actually building the model. I've still got a little bit more weathering to do as I've only done a single wash so far. I might have this completed by the end of the weekend. Didn't really do any mods except for one. I didn't take a lot of WIP photos, I think I took a couple earlier, I'll have to look for them.

IMG_3108.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg

IMG_3111.jpg

And now for the mod.... zoom out for dramatic effect!!!

IMG_3109.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok finished the weathering, just thought I'd post a few finalized pics. Hard to tell in the photos but it's actually quite a bit darker than it is in the first photos that I posted.

IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

IMG_3125.jpg

IMG_3128.jpg

And finally a close up of the landing gear mod. I used my Dremel tool to bore out a space for the magnets. I epoxied them into place and put a piece of tape of them and then set the Falcon on its feet to make sure the bottoms stayed flat and level. If you are thinking about doing this do not glue your landing gear in before bore out the space for the magnets, you will break the landing gear as I did several times.

IMG_3129.jpg

Thats a really great idea. Love it. Might have to look in the toy isle for any small little Falcons that I could do this to.
I would want it small, then put in in a place and see if anyone in the family even notices it.

Well I took my Falcon to work so I could stick it to the wall of my cubicle and my coworker spotted a panel I missed painting, and then I spotted 3 more that needed paint. I thought I could let it go, but It was really bugging me, so I've brought it back to the bench to paint those panels and add a little bit more weathering (it needs more steaks and discolored panels).

Also I forgot to mention that anyone that plans on adding magnets to a model this size the weight of the model will make it slide down whatever it sticks to unless you make the feet sticky. I used silicon masking fluid thickly painted on the bottom of the landing gear and let it dry over night. Works perfectly.

I've already painted the panels I missed, the green circle are the ones I missed. I'll start adding more streaks tomorrow hopefully.

IMG_3141.jpg

Bonus tip: A bottle of Tamiya paint fits right into the turret well and can be used as a handle.

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3140.jpg

Ok, now I'm done fo realzzz... (with extra z's becauses I'm livin in the 90's)

I discolored a few individual panels slightly and added more streaks that my phone doesn't pick of half of. I also put the red lines on the escape pods (or whatever those circular things are supposed to be) for fun.

IMG_3145.jpg

IMG_3146.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back