Space: 1999 Definitive Com-Lock/ Stun-gun Data needed!

RGPFX

Okay, So I just got my hands on a pair of Blufive's Space: 1999 Com-Lock and Stun-gun resin kits. BTW nice kits, clean castings with properly registered seam lines and no voids.

Now I need data. Where else do I turn, of course, but to my primary resource (besides the back of cereal boxes), the RPF.

Only one well-traveled thread,

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=1462&highlight="space:+1999"

came up in the search index, but it did not answer all my questions. Posts by Phase Pistol that I would admiringly describe as "encyclopedic" did answer several questions, but a number of illustrations no longer seem to be there. Worst of all, a previous thread is repeatedly referred to as being helpful, but it's a dead link, a casualty, no doubt, of the server changes.

So here's my questions...

For both props, which, if any features lit up?

Stun Gun:

Most of my questions have been answered in the above mentioned thread, but any new data on Super-detailing is always appreciated.

Com-lock:

1. Some pictures depict a cast member graphic on the ID panel, where can I get this illustration?
  2. Does anyone have a 1:1 version of the blueprint file (.dwg, .dxf, or .pdf) of the com-lock so I can determine the correct size of belt clip to fabricate?
  3. On the lower box of the link, there is a raised black gridded rectangle. Some pictures depict red or white dots on this grid. Does anyone have any info on this? I believe that this is addressed in the above mentioned post but the missing pics make it hard to tell.
  4. Some photos I've seen look like the primary color is almond, not light gray. Any feelings on this?
  5. Is there a black painted stripe running through the recessed horizontal channels at the 1/3 and 2/3 marks?
Thanks for any help on this.

---RGP

Last edited:
Laser and commlock props varied throughout the show. There were "hero" props and "dummy" props.

The "hero" commlock with working video screen was LARGER than the normal commlock prop, and had to be tethered to a fat video cable that ran
out the bottom of the "antenna" cylinder.

The show was remarkably sloppy about props... the star of the show is often seen wearing a wonky commlock prop that has the buttons all out of place!

koenig-comlock-wonkybtns.jpg

The show was inconsistent about how it handled those ID card photos. They seem to be publicity shots of the actors. Your best bet would be to find similar photos or to mock it up from frame grabs.

ML-IDcard.jpg

RatM-KoenigComlock-side.jpg

This is one of the better "face on" shots of a commlock from the series, but unfortunately it's a prop that's beat to hell!

ATAP-helenacommlock.jpg

ATAP-labelCU.jpg

The regular commlock props (with no working video screen) had no lights or other mechanisms, they were just solid. The belt clip appears to be a piece of bent metal.

EB-simmondscommlock.jpg

The lowest quality commlocks had stickers for all the buttons. The high-quality dummy props given to the show's stars had buttons that were thin pieces of plastic, or in the case of the silver disc on the side, metal.

IMHO the most accurate commlock prop replica is the one made by CY Productions (that's Clint Young, not "cyland"). Here is mine

kt-CYcommlock-4sides.jpg

Now then onto the Laser Stun Gun... this prop has no "hero" version, and there are no working features or lights or anything on any of these props. Possibly the trigger was depressable on some of the props. And of course as the series went on, they wanted an obvious "stun/kill" switch, so a couple of designs were tried out

FC-laser-switch-redbar.jpg

spacewarp-laserswitch.jpg

Especially in the second series, really cheap vacuformed "crapazoid" versions of this prop began to be featured prominently

OMH-tonycrapazoid.jpg

OMH-tonycrapazoidcu.jpg

Thanks, Phase Pistol

Still need ideas on these two com-lock related points...

Some photos I've seen look like the primary color is almond, not light gray.

Is there a black painted stripe running through the recessed horizontal channels at the 1/3 and 2/3 marks?

---RGP

Colors often look different on screen. I believe the commlock color is gray, but it took on a beige tint on the show.

Similarly, Koenig's sleeve and collar, as well as the screen-shade on the commlock, were all GRAY but tended to look black.

- k

the screen-shade on the commlock, were all GRAY but tended to look black.

- k

Another interesting new fact.

Keep em coming, guys!

What about my question about the recessed channels on the commlock being painted?

Oh, and any good superdetailing ideas?

I don't think the deep cuts on the commlock are painted black, I think it's just shadows that make it look that way.

- k

OK. Almost finished with these. New Question...

The cylinder on the stun-gun appears to be a dark metallic color but not black. Any ideas?

Man, I don't know who made them but there is a bad-ass stungun out there. I see them on Ebay every so often. It's keyed and has a laser in it.

Not sidkit...this thing looks amazing and I want one!

If by "cylinder" you mean the emitter cones of the laser... then yeah they are a metallic color. A second metallic color on the blocky bases.

If you mean the little short cans that project out from both sides of the laser body... yeah some kind of dark metallic there too. Possibly black on the flat disc at the end of each cylinder.

breaklaserfloorcurm8.jpg

exileslasercuwt5.jpg

- k

Most of the Resin kits that turn up on ebay are made by coolmodels who is a notorious recaster.
His kits are generally undersized and poorly cast.

Anson

If by "cylinder" you mean the emitter cones of the laser... then yeah they are a metallic color. A second metallic color on the blocky bases.

If you mean the little short cans that project out from both sides of the laser body... yeah some kind of dark metallic there too. Possibly black on the flat disc at the end of each cylinder.

- k

Yep, I meant the latter of the two options. Good observation on the Flat black at the end.

Thanks again, Phase!

RGP

Must chime in on the stun gun. One of my favorites. I have a kit I started long ago and WILL finish some day. I have created the season 1 stun/kill switch as I think it is more unusual. I also recreated the four nozzles/emitters out of aluminum. I know they were not shiny on the originals, but the polished aluminum just looks cool.

Phase Pistol -

I think I may have asked you this at another time and place, but in case I'm wrng or you have more data now, I'll ask again.

Do you know who created the stun gun props and do you know if the hero gun survived and their whereabouts? I keep hoping to see a hero turn up with hi-res pics, but nothing.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back