Casting silicone in a silicone mold question.

Hey, I'm casting these mole creatures for a music video. I want to make a bunch so I'm doing latex and polyfoam cuz it's low budget. I was wondering if it is possible to do a few castings in silicone. My mold is a tin based rubber and I want to use a platinum silicone. Of course I would release the hell out of it. I know the tin will inhibit curing of the platinum so my question is are there any tips or tricks one might know of? Like a special spray release or something. I know making a plaster mold or fiberglass is best , ..just wondering if I'm ever in a pinch

You'll want to pick up some Inhibit X from smooth on. Dump some into the mold and slush it around, and then leave it ample time to dry. The Inhibit X will swell the silicone quite a bit. You'll also want to apply a lot of release, as the inhibit X will bond silicone to silicone rather tenaciously.

I'd also recommend using a fast setting platinum. The longer the cure time the more chance there is for it to be inhibited.

Yes, temporarily. The solvents in the Inhibit X will bleed into the surface of the silicone and need to be given time to evaporate out.

After using Inhibit X I typically let the mold to dry for 15-20 minutes. It will be back to the original shape, and you can cast your piece without problem.

I want to cast a plat silicone head and have a tin silicone mould. I have some Fuse FX Royal JeL-E but have yet to use it will this work or is it best to use the above techniques..want save having to make another mould

I want to cast a plat silicone head and have a tin silicone mould. I have some Fuse FX Royal JeL-E but have yet to use it will this work or is it best to use the above techniques..want save having to make another mould
Royal Jel-E is just a release. If you don't apply Inhibit X chances are very good your silicone will not cure against the Tin silicone mold.

You'll want to pick up some Inhibit X from smooth on. Dump some into the mold and slush it around, and then leave it ample time to dry. The Inhibit X will swell the silicone quite a bit. You'll also want to apply a lot of release, as the inhibit X will bond silicone to silicone rather tenaciously.

I'd also recommend using a fast setting platinum. The longer the cure time the more chance there is for it to be inhibited.

I have a similar situation. I have a oomoo 30 Tin cure mold and I want to cast in ecoflex 0030 platinum cure silicone over a metal stop motion puppet.

My Questions are:

Do you apply ease release 200 before inhibit x or after?

Do you have to apply inhibit x every time you cast it?

Thanks

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back