Civil War Wanda Maximoff

GoblinCityCosplay

The Scarlet Witch:

tumblr_o2zl4d6VRH1rk4oyso1_1280.jpg

First super clear shot. So far it looks like red leather and possibly red suede accents? I'm also undecided from this pic whether or not that's her skin in the hiatuses of the corset or whether it's an under shirt.

634712123402573750.jpglozengelongbarbellindustrialbarbell12gab.jpg

Piercing jewelry = corset closures?

Last edited:
Hard to say, my wife was thinking of doing that outfit,she was going to make it a corset style under garment...

I finally found the ultra huge image and it appears the corset has a zip front with the pin closures over it. So. I'll probably do a corset myself, but not tight laced. The jacket inserts also don't appear to be suede but a woven material.

ultra huge image:
4-5.jpg

And the poster image and a figure image.
tumblr_o33f7vh6zd1v0cr8lo2_540.jpgtumblr_o33f7vh6zd1v0cr8lo3_540.jpg

It looks to me like laced cord, not pin closures (I think there are two sets of grommets - one in the "flap" and one flat on the front panel of the corset), and it looks like it would be a giant hassle to lace it up over the zipper every time. However, I don't see that the corset separates at the bottom front (the binding below the zipper looks like a continuous piece) so I suspect there's another closure at the back and the front closure is only decorative.

Judging by the amount of wrinkling in the front of the "corset" it's either not boned at all, or only lightly boned with plastic. There could be another zipper at the back since it doesn't look like it was built to cinch her in like a regular corset. Or you could make a proper steel-boned corset with a closed front (and just have the zipper as a decorative element laying on top of the front panel) and have real lacing in the back.

The panel at the top of the sleeve of the jacket looks like it might be suede or microsuede (that material you sometimes see sofas made out of). The pleated part at her elbow looks like it might be made of the same fabric. The texture on the main part of the fabric (the slightly shiny parts on most of the rest of the sleeves - where the zipper is on the right sleeve, for example) could be done the same way Star-Lord's short jacket was, with a pattern printed with glossy paint on top of "regular" fabric.

There is a LOT going on with that jacket. It's gorgeous, but wow that's a ton of details!

lacings.jpg
Unfortunately, I think you're right about the lacings, which... just makes no sense at all whatsoever for the purpose of functionality. Great catch about the bottom not opening all the way. I think that actually supports a structured garment theory because....

wrinkles.jpg
The corset is pretty thick, so the red layer could be a floating layer. The coutil, lining and steel bones could be a completely closed front base layer with a whatever back closure. Decorative zipper sewn to the red floating layer, grommets and ties on this, add that over the structure layer, bind and done. I agree it's more of a shaper and less of an actual corset. I also think it's got shoulders on it maybe. Thoughts?

Personal preference is either a pageant double zip in the back or light lacing with a zip layer to cover it.

pattern.jpg
Printed microsuede maybe? I'm curious how that would look. Personal preference is leather for the base of the jacket, but I wouldn't argue that's the best or only way to go since we have literally one screen ref.

It really is gorgeous.

I wonder if the lacing goes this way in the decorative layer? One long lace, instead of a bunch of little short ones? Though I have no idea which would be easier for construction.

Lacing.jpg

I agree that it's probably got straps, especially looking at the image of the toy. (Though of course we have no idea how accurate that might be.) But I grabbed a couple of quick (terrible quality) shots from the trailers that seem to agree with that assessment:

Screenshot3.jpg Screenshot2.jpg Screenshot1.jpg

I'm not the best person to talk to about fabrics since I'm very much a beginner seamstress. It could be some kind of found textured fabric but I do know that Marvel has done custom printed fabric for past movies so it's entirely possible this is custom too. At the very least, it's probably all custom-dyed to get it all the same colour! I definitely see leather at the top of the shoulders, the waist, and the inset panels under the arm (I think), at the hip, and on the lower sleeve. It looks like the lapels are the same suede-like fabric as the panels on the sleeves and at the hip, and possibly the lining at the back of the lower portion but that's kind of hard to tell (and it looks like there's a different lining of more traditional coat lining fabric at the sides, where the leather panel starts). I wish we had a pic of the back!

Nice caps, I couldn't get anything nearly that clear. I love that the leather kind of shines and the fabric is dull in the third one so it's obviously got some kind of texture.

The lining definitely looks different from the sides to the back, which strikes me as really odd. I'm on the fence about doing it that way as in person it might look less like it was purposeful and more like I ran out of fabric.

The outer coat looks like three different fabrics: a leather like, a printed/textured leather or fabric, then a suede looking fabric. I guess it'll just be trial and error seeing what works.

It's kind of hard to tel whether the lacings go behind the decorative layer or not. I don't really see any bumps or anything that indicates how it lays. Frustrating.

Over the shoulder bits. Possibly cups in the decorative layer? She's got some pretty decent lift and separate going on in the trailer when she jumps.

It looked odd to me too. I wasn't sure why they would have done that with the lining. Maybe they did run out of fabric, lol!

I didn't see bumps either, but I imagine it would be really hard to get that many short laces to sit evenly at the exact same length. I wonder if they've used lacing tape so there's an extra layer to smooth any bumps. If you were doing a proper corset you might be able to use lacing bones, and then there definitely wouldn't be bumps as the cord would be passing behind a layer of steel boning.

I wonder if she's just actually wearing a bra underneath it. That would probably be easier than adding cups to the fashion corset (though honestly I have no idea since I've never made anything like this before!). If I were making this (which I'm not currently - it's way past my skill level!) I would probably go the route of making it a proper corset. I think it would look nicer (no wrinkling) and be more supportive! My wedding corset had shoulder straps and I was seriously "locked and loaded" in it - nothing was moving at all, lol.

Hm. Going the one cord route would be the best, especially if laced the way you diagrammed on that pic. I don't think using lacing bones would allow for the pronounced curve of the bust like she has.

Doing a cup on the corset layer wouldn't be too difficult, I'd personally just cheat in cups from a bra, spring steel boning to just under the cups, then float the fashion layer over it.

The shoulder straps would cover up bra straps, though. Maybe that would keep it from being locked and loaded. Putting a bra under a corset and jumping up and down for test jiggle is not even the weirdest thing I'll have done for costumes.

I hadn't thought of the bust curve! You can clearly tell I've never actually made a corset before. ;) (Though I'm going to have to learn at some point!) Most of my corsets are underbusts because I generally find them easier to move in but all the costumes I want to do that have corsets have overbust ones (like Angel from Deadpool).

I love the things we do for costumes, lol. I think the bra under the corset is a good idea, especially if you're going to do more of a fashion corset than a "proper" one.

I think the best thing that ever happened to my corset making was discovering that boning tape was a thing and getting a good grommet press. Everything gets easy with practice.

There's a (semi) local corset supply place to me that offers a corset making class a couple of times a year. A friend and I want to take it together, but she's out of the country right now so we missed the spring class. They're planning another one for the fall but haven't finalized the dates yet. I think that would probably be very helpful! And they sell all the supplies and they're located in Canada so I won't have to worry about shipping costs and times.

Well, it's about a five hour drive away! So, not really "local", but close enough to make the trip and spend the weekend. I just have to wait for them to release their fall class schedule so I can make plans!

It's extremely flowy!

I found a couple of promo art images. I wish they were bigger! And that they would show the back! :p

Promo Art3.jpg Promo Art2.jpg Promo Art1.jpg

Yes! Side details! It looks like, based on the side pick, the skirt of the coat is gathered in the back to make it more full? We so need some good back refs.

I wonder if it's like a circle skirt or a gored skirt, where the "waistband" is the right size to match the rest of the coat, and the fullness is in the rest of the fabric. Or that the panels we can see on the side are adding fullness. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more panels in the back, given the amount of details in the rest of the coat. It would look a little silly to have the back super plan.

I'm finally starting to work on mine! And by work on, I mean I've picked out some patterns and material and I'm starting a mockup.

My layers from inner to outer look like: lining -> coutil with bones -> coutil -> red silk with casings

The lining and boned coutil layer will be McCalls 7339:

Corset_A5.jpg

It's a closed front and very easy to alter.

The coutil and red silk layer will be Butterick 5662:

il_fullxfull.364056728_fva4.jpg

It looks like a decent base: long line torso, laces up, shoulder straps, and the boning channels are very close in placement to Wanda's.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back