Civil War Wanda Maximoff

Just came across this image:

jwT2FWl.png

Oh hell yeah! Perfect ref for the side and those fuggo boots!

After spending a few hours examining said fuggo boots, I think they're actually just heeled, size zip, lug soled boots with a belt and buckle around the top and a spat on the top with buckles across the front of the foot, held in place with a strap around the instep and around the ankle.

I finished roughly drawing out the jacket and sleeve so I can begin patterning that this week between bouts of rolled hem organza hell.

tumblr_o4sgy7aXTO1v0cr8lo1_540.jpg

So not to scale and super crappy lighting. I didn't bother to do the back, but I suspect the skirt is pleated slightly in the back to give it more volume and that the "belt" around the waist are two continuous pieces of leather. I also suspect this jacket was not meant to close. It doesn't flap open when she's running in the gif a few posts back, so I'm going to say there's probably some hooks on it and some eyes hidden on the corset.

There is also some ribbing above her boots on the calf of her black leggings.

I've ordered some woven linen and will see how that stacks next to my leathers and suede. Here's to hoping we get way more pictures soon. I want to finish the mockup by this weekend, but I don't plan on cutting the fabric until I've got more refs.

Last edited:
It definitely doesn't look like it's meant to close, and I really like the idea of having it hook into the corset so it doesn't flap around when you move - keep it looking neat and tidy!

I really wish Marvel would do what some other companies (e.g. Blizzard) are doing and release FULL costume turn-around photos! I'd love to see the back of this one!

I have! Coat mockup pics should be coming this weekend along with the inner corset layer. I won't be cutting silk or leather until the movie comes out and I get some good HD images of the back.

For the base of the coat I started with a McCalls pattern:

il_570xN_499548805_f4e1.jpg

That has a full skirt, princess seams and lapels. I mocked it up out of white muslin, then proceeded to draw all over it and cut it up:

13010621_1045799552164110_7783822092433252140_n.jpg

Before and after. I work unilaterally in case I really mess up one side. I've drawn on the new pattern lines for the "belt" and the skirt of the coat, those are ready to be cut, evened out, and transferred to the final pattern.

The bodice of the coat I plan on taking apart and re-mocking it. There are fewer seams on Wanda's bodice, and darts in the front. It also appears less fitted in some footage. IDK. While I'm working on this, I'm also looking at materials and going between a basket weave wax coated cotton and a stamped leather. I think choosing the material at this point is a matter of do I want it to look accurate from close up or further away.

I love the fullness in the "skirt" of that pattern. It looks great!

I have my second class of my sewing lessons tonight. Soon I will be able to understand patterns (I hope!).

Love the patterns you picked for the corset! They look spot-on to me.
The coat mock-up also looks awesome! I was thinking, judging by the way the skirt of the coat moves there is no way that the skirt is the same leather as, say the shoulders.
Also, looking at the last picture of Wanda that you posted there appears to be a slit in the back of the skirt.

I hadn't seen those yet, thank you!

Urgh. Doesn't Marvel understand if they put out costume books they would make a fortune off of costumers? Right now I'm getting some fabric tests printed/screened so I'm setting the coat aside to work on the corset for now.

A friend of mine is doing a costume of Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn. The game isn't even out yet but she has all the reference material she could want in the form of a 13-page PDF costume reference guide that was put out by the company making the game. Not only does it have full costume, hair, and weapon turn-arounds and closeups, it even has text explaining some of the reasons her costume looks like it does and some of the details that are harder to see in the images.

Why can't EVERY company do this? Good cosplay is free advertisement! I've noticed a lot of game companies are starting to do this. Hopefully movie studios will realize this is a good idea and join in.

Seriously! I remember when the second Star Wars trilogy came out and there was a book about the costumes that even had fabric samples in it. I know Marvel is selling costume "cards" with bits of the costume on it, but seriously. They'd make a killing if they just put out a small booklet with all that stuff for each character. Fans want to know! And it really is free advertisement.

Do you think that the non-leather pieces are screen printed? They have an awkward texture, as well as looking like leather at first glance.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back