What Defines a Commercial Kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who started building models about 35 years ago, and recently discovered the RPF, what seems clear is this: Whether it's studio scale or not, there's not a particularly welcoming or encouraging feeling about the place. Which seems a shame, since with proper encouragement there are probably a fair number of those starting out with the DA Falcon that could go on to "a real man's studio scale" modeling and contribute something of value.

I get the organizational aspect of it all, but some of this seems to go a bit beyond that.

Well as someone who hasn't built a model in 35 years, but has been hanging around the studio scale forums here for well over a decade, I would have to disagree. If people demonstrate a genuine interest in studio scale modelling I think they are often made to feel welcome.

It gets a bit tiresome though, when for seemingly no reason, someone chooses to tell everyone what they think studio scale modelling should mean and like a dog with a bone just won't let it go. We don't need to be told what it means, we know what it means. And yes I know that might sound snobbish as we've been called in this thread. But if you spend 10 years knocking around in the studio scale forum you come to understand what the term means. The forum now defines what the term means and I see no reason why it has to be anything different.

It was noticed (and quite rightly in my opinion) that threads complaining about interior pieces being incorrect, or parts being damaged or arriving late etc were probably deserving of they're own subforum. I think it was a good decision, but unfortunately some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it. Well he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men.

Last edited:
It gets a bit tiresome though, when for seemingly no reason, someone chooses to tell everyone what they think studio scale modelling should mean and like a dog with a bone just won't let it go. We don't need to be told what it means, we know what it means. And yes I know that might sound snobbish as we've been called in this thread. But if you spend 10 years knocking around in the studio scale forum you come to understand what the term means. The forum now defines what the term means and I see no reason why it has to be anything different.

See? No more paragraphs about how simple it is without actually explaining this oh so simple thing. I quote myself here:

"This is another example of what is partly fueling this discussion. In the past, and in this discussion--whether it happened in this thread or in some of the other threads, especially before the new subforum was created--people have suggested it's so simple and some people just don't understand, while at the same time passing up the opportunity to explain why it's so simple. If it's so simple, it can't be too hard or too long-winded to explain it. It's the kind of thing that should be sitting on members' clipboards just waiting to be inserted. But still, people write paragraphs that only state that it IS simple--but not actually explain it. As I posted earlier, I was someone who didn't understand what was meant by SS (because the term suggests that it's just an issue of size) but I came to understand that it had just as much to do with detail and accuracy of detail as it does about size. I get it. People in this world have taken it to mean that, so that's what it means. That seems pretty simple--and took me half a sentence. "

A desire, to try, your best , to build, a replica, of a studio model, that you love, in the same way, that they did, when it was made, using the same, parts, structure, paintwork, and love, within, your own ability.

Not using correct parts and idealising through not having the desires above does not mean Studio scale modelling, skills and talent aside.......

Building a model and studio scale modelling are different for the ITS SIMPLE reasons above. Its taken out of context that if you DONT do the above that your not worthy...far from it but that does not take away the fact that THE SIMPLE ETHIC of the hobby is about trying to achieve the above..

Because you swim does not make you a Fish.... we are a sub group of aquatic life in a sea of very talented fish..... If your a human without swimming abilities then you are not a Fish or a penguin or camel in a swim suit !!

All are worthy of dipping a toe in the sea though, apart from the fish that has no toes but is considered welcome in the studio scale section

If the sub groups of the SS section were even more honed in they would be

Shady
Not shady
Honest
Confused
Left out
In the Loop
The Loop
Thinks they're the Loop
Doesn't know there is a loop
Was a loop
Wants in to a loop
Just wants
Mostly gives
Been Burned
Trying to Burn
Had enough
Dont know whats coming
Cant afford it
Keepers
Takers
Sharing
Not sharing
Crooks
Want to learn
Know's it all (thats only got Jamie in it ) only joking :)
Confuesd
Reads
Doesn't Read
Cant Read
Those that are only missing one ID and want to kill
Those that don't mind missing one ID as they've done really well to get 2 of the 400 they blagged out of someone
Id'd it all
Cant ID.
Whats Id'n
Still waiting for a reply
Paid but not heard back
Heard back but not received
and finally a forum dedicated to Juliens inbox being full

Last edited:
Despite all their crowing I've never seen even the most diehard Studio Scaler make a model that was truly authentic. Most are replicating a model that was "screen used", that's in the very definition of Studio Scale. Which means that to make the SS replica truly authentic to the screen used original you have to break off all the little fiddly bits, loose half, then glue the rest back on using big globs of super glue! For extra authenticity you can touch up some of the glue spots with blobs of paint two shades off. ;)

Its happening right now somewhere and theres debate and tears

To be fare i do drop most of my stuff so it gets like that in the end anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back