What Defines a Commercial Kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
What defines a Commercial Kit? Isn't a resin kit from Salzo, or Niesen or Randy Cooper a Commercial kit? They sell them. That's the definition of "commerce".

Last edited:
What defines a Commercial Kit? Isn't a resin kit from Salzo, or Niesen or Randy Cooper a Commercial kit? They sell them. That's the definition of "commerce".

So, I am not a mod here, but one of my recommendations to them last week was to keep scratch-builds and garage-kits together in the parent Studio Scale Models Forum, as they have been since day-one, 2001. Do we really need to have a big argument, at the Replica Prop Forum of all places, about all of the differences between garage-kit prop replicas and commercial ones?

Oy vey...that's so 2003! Count me out...

A commercial kit is anything that is mass produced by any company under an agreement or licence. This would mean the Mobieus Cylon Raider would have to be included here as well.

I guess that makes sense, I buy that. I just think it's silly in the first place to segregate the DeAg builds .

Last edited:
I just think it's silly in the first place to segregate the DeAg builds as people are afraid it will dilute the validity of their scratch builds, oh well.

Not true in the least, as far as I can tell, and not a very nice thing for you to say even if it was.

Last edited:
My apologies, you're right that was unkind and I take it back. I just think there is a group of members that insists that what they're doing is "true" studio scale and that what others are doing isn't. Or they seek to add other qualifiers to somehow separate what they do from what others do. And now it's segregated the forum. At least the "Kits" sub-forum is under Studio Scale where it belongs. Studio Scale = Size. That's it!

At least the threads are still in the SS section for slow people like me. I was thinking WTH....all the falcon threads are gettign moved. But to where.....now i know.

Strikes me of a bit of forum Snobbery, sorry but it does because some of the old guard have complained about spoiling their fun.

This just hits the Deagostini falcon guys by creating a commercial kit section all of a sudden under agreement of license. We often hear there's room for everyone and then this happens, certainly looks like being put away in the back room

Whats the difference between a guy building a kit under agreement and those that build a unlicensed kit often without scratchbuilding anything, filling and sanding doesn't count.
If it's going to be segregated it should be kept as scratchbuilds and studio scale kits ( incl minor conversions). That's how virtually every other type of miniature modelling works, competitions included.

Last edited:
It's not snobbery, it's not "taking any thing away" from any one.

It's about managing an influx of massive* proportions that has never been seen before, as there is a new dynamic to the hobby.

Studio Scale has ALWAYS been about research, scratch building, and ever-refining a subject matter alongside the garage kits members make using the discoveries.

The DeAG and Moebius Raider builds are technically, by their nature, a step in the "other direction" in DETAIL and while that is not necessarily a bad thing, it muddies the original intent of the Studio Scale forum.

So this subdivision is an organizational decision.

This is a well established scene with a rich and yes sometimes divisive history among members. We are a welcoming bunch, with a few notable exceptions that are mostly not a problem any more (like any other group), but things are the way they are for a reason, so all we can do is respect the decisions of the mods/history of the hobby.

I had absolutely no say in this decision, but I absolutely applaud it, as it preserves the intent and history of this forum.

*Massive is a relative term, but for this instance, fits.

Hey, I will always respect the mods and other members, even while disagreeing with them. But when someone flat out says "you belong at another site (DeAg's forums) not here" that can come off as snobbery and certainly isn't welcoming.

This sub-division is fine, and I'm now inclined to post some things about my DeAg Falcon build, now that I know I won't get bagged on (hopefully). I do think a better sub-division would have by popular subject, Star Wars, Trek, Gallactica, etc. like was done with props and costumes.

I have always said how much I admire and appreciate the effort to identify, track down and use authentic kit parts. But I also admire efforts to bring Studio Scale into the 21st century with technologies like computer modeling, 3D printing, CNC milling, laser cutting, etc. All of it is valid in the quest to recreate these fantastic objects from the past.

Hey here's a thought, to be absolutely 100% authentic and a "true" Studio Scaler you have to wear period correct clothing from the 70's while working on the model! ;)

I am more of a watcher and reader than contributor, so perhaps my opinions won't hold much weight or validity as other members. But here goes.

I think DaveG's idea of having different sections under Studio Scale for Trek, Star Wars, etc. with an all-inclusive Other is a great idea. That way, if I am a huge Star Wars fan, I can go directly to that section and browse to my hearts content without having to wade through reams of other topics. The same thing for Trek or Galactica or Irwin Allen, etc. It is kind of irritating to come into Studio Scale to look for a subject and have to sort through so many Falcons or Enterprises.

This is just my opinion though. Personally, I love this site and the fact it is free is a huge bonus. For the most part, everyone here is courteous and respectful of other members which is truly amazing to see. Whichever way things end up, I will still come here and hopefully be able to contribute something meaningful one day.

All kidding aside, I listen to Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors" some times, to get in the "ILM mood". That is probably the nerdiest thing I have EVER written, but more than one ILMer has mentioned that album being on constant rotation when it came out.

Hey, I will always respect the mods and other members, even while disagreeing with them. But when someone flat out says "you belong at another site (DeAg's forums) not here" that can come off as snobbery and certainly isn't welcoming.

This sub-division is fine, and I'm now inclined to post some things about my DeAg Falcon build, now that I know I won't get bagged on (hopefully). I do think a better sub-division would have by popular subject, Star Wars, Trek, Gallactica, etc. like was done with props and costumes.

I have always said how much I admire and appreciate the effort to identify, track down and use authentic kit parts. But I also admire efforts to bring Studio Scale into the 21st century with technologies like computer modeling, 3D printing, CNC milling, laser cutting, etc. All of it is valid in the quest to recreate these fantastic objects from the past.

Hey here's a thought, to be absolutely 100% authentic and a "true" Studio Scaler you have to wear period correct clothing from the 70's while working on the model! ;)

I am more of a watcher and reader than contributor, so perhaps my opinions won't hold much weight or validity as other members. But here goes.

I think DaveG's idea of having different sections under Studio Scale for Trek, Star Wars, etc. with an all-inclusive Other is a great idea. That way, if I am a huge Star Wars fan, I can go directly to that section and browse to my hearts content without having to wade through reams of other topics. The same thing for Trek or Galactica or Irwin Allen, etc. It is kind of irritating to come into Studio Scale to look for a subject and have to sort through so many Falcons or Enterprises.

This is just my opinion though. Personally, I love this site and the fact it is free is a huge bonus. For the most part, everyone here is courteous and respectful of other members which is truly amazing to see. Whichever way things end up, I will still come here and hopefully be able to contribute something meaningful one day.

Try the SEARCH button for any particular preferences, type in and it finds it, marvellous! :)

All kidding aside, I listen to Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors" some times, to get in the "ILM mood". That is probably the nerdiest thing I have EVER written, but more than one ILMer has mentioned that album being on constant rotation when it came out.

Smokin' a little weed is Studio Scale accurate too. (Oops, did I just say that out loud?!):facepalm

There are, at present, 110,271 members of the RPF, which means there are, at present, considerably more than 110,271 opinions on how the RPF should be re-organized. I know this from direct experience. :)

One of the primary reasons this most recent subdivision of the Studio Scale Models Forum was very carefully discussed amongst the staff and some core membership here for several weeks, and then implemented a few days ago, was to make room for everyone here who wants to research and/or build a studio miniature replica in the most supportive and productive manner. Judging by the communal sigh of relief and corresponding diminishment of interpersonal drama within our respective sub-forums, I'd argue that the staff did an excellent job, and are well-deserving of our thanks.

If anyone is actually serious about making further changes to the organization of this, or any other, part of the RPF, they should be doing so within the Site Support & News forum, since it's unlikely that the staff will even notice your helpful suggestions in any of the other forums.

Again, I'm not a mod here, but I would like to suggest that we get back to researching and building cool models, and re-direct folks who want to continue debating the organization of the RPF here to the Site Support & News forum, where it belongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back