Comic costumes at Anime conventions?

BobbyS95

A bunch of my friends are going to AnimeNEXT in the summer and invited me to tag along. I'm not a fan of anime or manga at all, but I'm still going just to hang out and have a good time. They are all planning on cosplaying and I am too (I'm planning on going as Deadpool, Spider-man, or The Flash), but I'm curious if it is socially acceptable to wear a comic book costume to an anime convention.

I've been to Comic Con before and seen people wearing anime costumes there, but do you think is it acceptable vice-versa? Let me know your thoughts

I think it is, you'll see much less, but still some. I wore my Spider-Man to Acen in Chicago and took a lot of photos. I also saw plenty of Deadpools.

Anime conventions always have cosplayers from comics, video games, etc. It's usually the mainstream ones that everybody knows. I've been going to multiple anime conventions like Anime Central and Otakon for the last 6 years and see people as Batman, Deadpool, Spider-Man, Thor and so on, all the time. It's the minority but it isn't shunned. Wear what you want, it won't be a problem.

What you need to know is that anime cons are very different from the typical comic ones. They tend to have things going on at all hours including raves, late night (18+) anime showings and panels, video game room is usually open during the entire con and many other things. Open/close times only apply to the Dealers' Room and Artists' Alley. Whereas comic conventions usually have a definitive start and end time to each day and very few after hours events.

Its totally acceptable and encouraged to wear a comic cosplay to an anime convention. I don't even like anime really but i go to the conventions cause its usually a good time. Cosplay is all about bringing people together with common likes in a easy going environment where everyone is accepted. If anyone gives you a hard time...just smile politely, nod, and show them deadpools favorite finger. Cheers mate

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with a Spiderman costume...

EMiX7.jpg

Ten years ago this might have been an issue to some. Nowadays, no one bats an eye at this. It's normal. Wear whatever cosplay you want.

Main issue that helped, there have been so many conventions now, that some of the pricier comic conventions are either out of budget or sell out too far in advance. So if people can only go to one or two nearby conventions each year, then they'd want to get the most mileage out of their costumes.

Not only is it totally fine to do that, There are people like me who cosplay from a videogame, Anime, movies, and comics all at the same con, sometimes even on the same day.
All that matters is not dissing on any other cosplayer and enjoying the con.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back