Lionsgate's Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Movie Cosplay Thread

ScorpionTR

So according to some sources, the suits for the reboot of the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Reboot will be taking on a Darker, Edgier, and will sort of look like Robocop(Reboot I bet). So at this point what I want to know is, how does one get stuff like this together?

So this is the Robocop armour:
robocop_render.jpg

Other armoured suits I can think of are sort of like the Pacific Rim Drivesuits as well:
HunnamSomeGirlPacificRim.jpg

The closest to "Robocop" for fanmade PR redesigns as far as I see look like this:
red_ranger_redux_by_fernie87-d59z3kt.jpg

I've never done anything like this before. Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to go? I don't really have the know-how or the tools to make this happen and I'd be totally fine with buying custom armour. So if anyone's willing to help me out, let me know.

Check out in YouTube. You should find some useful tutorials in there and for the Eva foam you should get the big rolls from Walmart or other department stores.

Here's another of the same. A little wider shot and a little higher res. Shows off the boots and the suits' textures better.

powerrangers.jpg

I can't tell 100% if the girls' breastplates are textured (kind of a worbla look) or if it's just the paint job. The guys' armor seems to be glossy smooth like a car, but with a swirly paint effect. The under-armor could be dye sub, but probably screen print, or even textured fabric reptilian. I'm interested to see if the lights are static, flashing, or just visual effect. They definitely have a Pacific Rim/Robocop look, but less tank-like for fighting, I'm sure. They still seem too bulky in the torso for movement like in the original show, unless it's flexible like a urethane rubber or something.

And there's also the new Rita look.

elizabeth-banks-rita.jpg

There's a larger photo, there's definitely an undersuit with layered armor pieces on top. The pattern on the undersuit looks similar to the Superman suit design.

Here's another of the same. A little wider shot and a little higher res. Shows off the boots and the suits' textures better.

View attachment 622857

I can't tell 100% if the girls' breastplates are textured (kind of a worbla look) or if it's just the paint job. The guys' armor seems to be glossy smooth like a car, but with a swirly paint effect. The under-armor could be dye sub, but probably screen print, or even textured fabric reptilian. I'm interested to see if the lights are static, flashing, or just visual effect. They definitely have a Pacific Rim/Robocop look, but less tank-like for fighting, I'm sure. They still seem too bulky in the torso for movement like in the original show, unless it's flexible like a urethane rubber or something.

And there's also the new Rita look.

View attachment 622858

I've seen theories bounce about that Rita is/ was the Green Ranger. If you look at the outfits, they definitely have quite a few similarities.

I've seen theories bounce about that Rita is/ was the Green Ranger. If you look at the outfits, they definitely have quite a few similarities.
It seems like it would be an unnecessary plot twist, although I can see it in the dragon-like green costume. It'd work.

I'd personally like it better if they kept a little more closely to the original storyline and maybe some elements of her own costume went into the design of the green ranger when she turned Tommy evil.

3387C16700000578-3558272-image-a-99_1461613039964.jpg
The similarity is more obvious in the full body set photos. I'm not a fan of the theory, but I can understand why they're doing it. I'm really hoping that they can still work in a Tommy Oliver appearance.

Hey Scorpion!
I may be a little late to the party but I came across this thread and actually really liked that concept image you posted there at the bottom, Looks like a really awesome custom ranger suit and the mask looks like a hybrid of the red and white ranger helmets. That being said, I started to work directly after seeing this on making one of these for myself. I, like you, am relatively new to this and I have made a custom sword pattern and put it together already. It's nothing too fancy and it isn't the best out there I'm sure, but it could serve as a nice starting point for you. I also modded a nerf blaster and have been painting it to look sort of like a Red ranger blaster!blaster.jpgblaster painted.jpgHere are some Before and after images. It isn't done and it is far from perfect but I hope it is some inspiration for you. If you would like the file I did for the sword please feel free to let me know and I will gladly share that with you as well as anything else you might need.

A Few other great sources would be Bill Doran and Ted Smith on youtube. You can find their pages by searching "Punished Props" for Bill and "Evil Ted" obviously for Ted. These guys are pro's when it comes to this stuff and I learned what I know so far From them.

Hope this helps!

Ares

The Rita set photos show some really good detail of her undersuit. It seams like you'd need some sort of urethane mold or something. Maybe some puff screen printing paint.

ritalayingcloseup.JPG

I was also thinking about how one could do the marble looking paint style on the armor

powerrangercloseup.JPG

and came across spray paint hydro dipping. There's actual enamel paints for hydro dipping, but for those of us who like to stick with what we know, seems like a cool and easy idea. Then throw some gloss over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back