Lionsgate's Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Movie Cosplay Thread

Hey Everyone. Don't nomaly go on the rpf because I'm so busy, but from what I can tell I'm the first to make the helmet. I had a friend take tons of reference photos at comic con and I sculpted it in clay, 3D scanned it, tweeked it and made a 3D model in rhino. Finished that up in mid September. I finished 3d printing it the day of the teaser.

Still alot of work though, I only had one promo image to bo by when I made this and the new motion posters show that My jaw is too narrow, among other things. I'll be tweeking it for the week or two before moving onto the mold making process.

On my phone at the moment so here's afew screenshots from my IG

Screenshot_2016-10-20-21-42-57.pngScreenshot_2016-10-20-21-43-03.png Screenshot_2016-10-20-21-43-26.png IMG_20161019_154923.jpgIMG_20161020_140458.jpg

Aside from some really minute detailing and that it's a different shade of Red, that is the best Red Ranger replica helmet I've seen! Good job!

Do you take commissions? I'd love to buy one from you. What's your price?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As of right now I can't say. I can get back to everyone with a price once I mold a test one. Hopefully I can get this done in between school projects.

What I can say now is that I'll be selling them straight out of the mold. The way the helmet is shaped makes it impossible to put on over your head so it will need to be cut and hinged kind of like on the show. I had a method of getting it on while I was modeling it but that opening was way to small. Because of this I'll basic sell the out and say " if you can come up with a way to cut a part line that works and looks good, I'd love to know.

That will lower the price abit.

If anyone is interested I will be casting one or two of these in bronze and aluminum sometime in January /February.
Those ones will for sure be expensive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

As of right now I can't say. I can get back to everyone with a price once I mold a test one. Hopefully I can get this done in between school projects.

What I can say now is that I'll be selling them straight out of the mold. The way the helmet is shaped makes it impossible to put on over your head so it will need to be cut and hinged kind of like on the show. I had a method of getting it on while I was modeling it but that opening was way to small. Because of this I'll basic sell the out and say " if you can come up with a way to cut a part line that works and looks good, I'd love to know.

That will lower the price abit.

If anyone is interested I will be casting one or two of these in bronze and aluminum sometime in January /February.
Those ones will for sure be expensive.

Oh ok.

Could I also get a picture of the rear view of the helmet?

Oh ok.

Could I also get a picture of the rear view of the helmet?

Yea sure
Here I'm working on it right now

16af09e37c7c29da6c425e0b7897f12a.jpg

5abbf5f2660dfdac51e3f24cd588517d.jpg

The only reference I had avalable for the back at the time was the toy.

But looking at the promo photo released here, you can see the back of the blue ranger. I went off of that since it did resemble the toy. Still more detail work to do.
f1307c30e8e65d771d800295e5f362c7.jpg

Is there anyone who'd add this level of detail to the helmet like the little back lines?
Helmet_front_2.png

Oh and I tried to colour the toy to try and match it with the suit picture on set. Does this look right?
Back_image_3.png

For those who are seriously desperate, Aniki Cosplay (they specialize in Power Ranger/Super Sentai/Tokusatsu cosplay) and has a reputation, both positive for their suit quality and negative with regards to communication and delivery just confirmed that they'll make the 2017 suits.
Aniki1.png

Here's a video that came out of a recent VR event, it shows more of the Red Ranger suit in more detail and most especially, we get a rear view!

I guess we can start making cosplays now?

Last edited by a moderator:
The artists at Weta have done some stunning work on these suits.. I am pretty sure we won't see theses replicated accurately for a very long time.

The trick to the helmets and certain armor pieces is they are tinted clear casts and the pattern comes from a backing they have applied. Painting and hydrodipping won't replicate the look correctly as you'll never get the proper translucency and depth. Some very smart and cool engineering went into making these suits..

The artists at Weta have done some stunning work on these suits.. I am pretty sure we won't see theses replicated accurately for a very long time.

The trick to the helmets and certain armor pieces is they are tinted clear casts and the pattern comes from a backing they have applied. Painting and hydrodipping won't replicate the look correctly as you'll never get the proper translucency and depth. Some very smart and cool engineering went into making these suits..
Yeah,it's gotten to the point where some have said they've gone overboard lol. I don't see the fine black details making it onto cosplays at least. I do see folk maybe trying.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back