ANH MR Vader Light Saber grip issue

b5historyman

I was dusting the display box I keep my MR ANH Vader handle and there's a sticky residue on one of the grips. Is this the bonding used to rubberise the plastic grips? Has anyone else got this issue?

It's a very common issue with MR sabers. Don't try to clean them with acetone, as it will completely ruin the grips all together. Someone else might know of a better way to clean them, but definitely don't try acetone at all!

^^^To James Kenobi you listen.

I've had the same problem with near a dozen of my sabers (FX and LE) and the above method has worked the best for me.

Very old problem. Many topics of discussion here. Advance search for "sticky" in the title. Here is the first discussion I am aware of.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=132035&highlight=sticky

You just need rubbing alcohol. If you have the alcohol pads, those work as well. No need to mask off anything. Some grips were sticker than others so amount of pads used differ.

Be careful with those magic erasers as this are abrasive. In the Navy when dealing with corrosion control, the old saying is, "Use the mildest form of cleaning first." Because you can always step it up later but if you cause damage with the hasher methods first, you cannot go backwards. The alcohol will work as I have dealt with it on 2 or 3 saber grips, an Airsoft butt plate, and the grip of the MR Star Trek First Contact phaser. If for some reason the alcohol does not work, you can go for the eraser.

FYI: It has been 5 years for some of my items and the stickiness never returned.

The thing is that you need to remove the rubber coating on top of the ABS grips. Once you do that, the issue will most likely not return again

The thing is that you need to remove the rubber coating on top of the ABS grips. Once you do that, the issue will most likely not return again

This is true but in my experience that when you experience this stickiness, the rubber coating has broken down so much that the rubber (war's left of it) wipes off with alcohol.

Now if you were talking about a new item and you knew for a fact that it was going to become sticky and you wanted to be proactive in not having it happen, then you might want to go with the eraser.

This is true but in my experience that when you experience this stickiness, the rubber coating has broken down so much that the rubber (war's left of it) wipes off with alcohol.

Now if you were talking about a new item and you knew for a fact that it was going to become sticky and you wanted to be proactive in not having it happen, then you might want to go with the eraser.

That's what I said. The MR items (no matter if LE or Force FX) have that rubber coating on top of the ABS grips/t-tracks. Once you remove the rubber coating, no matter with what method, most likely you won't have this problem again, the ABS grips will resist in time without any issues. Just look at MR's Stormtrooper blaster t-tracks, no issues on any of them.

That's what I said. The MR items (no matter if LE or Force FX) have that rubber coating on top of the ABS grips/t-tracks. Once you remove the rubber coating, no matter with what method, most likely you won't have this problem again, the ABS grips will resist in time without any issues. Just look at MR's Stormtrooper blaster t-tracks, no issues on any of them.

Right. I just wanted to clarify the statements so that someone reading these posts were not confused. I felt that the term "remove the rubber coating" although totally true could lead a person into thinking aggressive means were needed rather than simply wiping.

There were cases where it was not too easy to remove the rubber coating, simply wiping with alcohol didn't help. See the RS threads.

There were cases where it was not too easy to remove the rubber coating, simply wiping with alcohol didn't help. See the RS threads.

I'm sure that is true. It probably had to do with what stage this process was at. Like I said, I had grips where I needed 5 alcohol pads but I had another that was more like 15-20 but it worked.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back