Rookie Question

OBIWANJALOPY

Hope someone will help with an absolute rookie/newb question. You've got to start somewhere, I guess.

I have a black resin model I want to paint this weekend. I would like parts of it to look silver/steel. How do I go about that? A primer then a silver paint? Another, different kind of coat on top? Are there good brands one can recommend for the most realistic look?

Thank you in advance for ANY advice you can provide for a beginner. No advice to is too basic/obvious for me. You can talk to me like I'm an idiot, because I pretty much am one.

Thanks again.

Metallic colors generally look better with a black undercoat. Metal-look lacquers like Alclad recommend gloss black, which really provides most of the shine. This would apply to most of the shiny "chrome" type colors. Of course different colors and sheens can be used for different effects.

The undercoat isn't as critical for dull metallics like aluminum, so any primer is fine. Just be sure it's a smooth finish, metallics tend to reveal even the smallest surface flaws.

Look here http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=193723&highlight=rocketeer+pack for a suggestion on a good metallic paint that's tougher than most.

Depending on what "style" of metal you want, I just discovered some spray paint that's intended for use on appliances to make them look like stainless steel. It's pretty convincing. You'll likely have to ask if you go to a big home supply store, as it might be stocked in a weird spot. You can use it over any base color, although I'd definitely hit resin with some primer regardless.

-Rog

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back