My black series mod

opiate

Well, since my clay build took a complete s***, I decided to just start work on my black series using all the great references on here.

first thing I wanted to do was fix the faceplate, because it's pretty off. I used a dremel obviously to cut out all the little sections and such, and trim them down so I can make the flat base sections underneath out of styrene or something.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Still a bit to cut out, and I nicked a few areas on the right, but nothing that can't be fixed pretty easily later.

After I finish with cutting I'm going to be using a heat gun to reform it a bit, because the flare on the bottom is kind of off I've noticed compared to the actual helmet.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Notice how the BS has a kind of outwards flare on the ends? Can't be havin that. Not sure if they're all like that, or just mine, but it's next on the list.

the ends of the chrome on the bs need to be flattened or sanded down. they have too much "3D" effect to it. if you look at pics of the Anovos (not saying that is 100% accurate) but it seems to be flatter in regards to the chrome piece ends. the shape is a little off but the BS gives you enough to work with to make it better. you can always sand it and then rechrome it. I found some really good chrome spray paint here in Sicily that works really well.

the ends of the chrome on the bs need to be flattened or sanded down. they have too much "3D" effect to it. if you look at pics of the Anovos (not saying that is 100% accurate) but it seems to be flatter in regards to the chrome piece ends. the shape is a little off but the BS gives you enough to work with to make it better. you can always sand it and then rechrome it. I found some really good chrome spray paint here in Sicily that works really well.

I completely agree. The actual helmet has a lot sharper edges and angles. BS is way too rounded. I'm using a nail file to harden up the edges, and I think I'm going to fill in the brow sections with putty, and re-line everything so the brows themselves are more flat and flush with each other. I'm getting a shipment of styrene in the mail today, so once I figure out what it's capable of, I can decide what else needs to be cut away, or trimmed :)

Yeah that might work, I'll have to look again when I'm home, but I'm pretty sure the main problem was just the edges and the gaps. Don't remember if the brows stuck up high enough to allow much sanding...

Got my styrene! Gotta give props to Event for the idea. Never used it before, but I can see why it's popular. I'm still a bit messy with it, but it's definitely going to be useful.
image.jpegimage.jpeg

I also went ahead and started welding the helmet part.
image.jpeg

I think the most difficult part for me is going to be accurately shaping the front pieces out of the styrene... More to come.

Is the black series worth getting? I was thinking of picking one up, but I'm pretty bad at picking out minor details that make me hate props made by disney/hasbro. Is it worth getting and accurizing?

Is the black series worth getting? I was thinking of picking one up, but I'm pretty bad at picking out minor details that make me hate props made by disney/hasbro. Is it worth getting and accurizing?

Well im no pro, but from all I've seen it definitely seems to be the best current option for the money. It's not perfect by any means. All the details are very "low res", but even if you're a noob like me it seems like it can be pretty nicely accurized with a bit of work. Depending on your skill set, you can make it look rediculously good from what I've seen so far.

its a good base to start with. I watched the movie again last night before it leaves the theatre near me and the BS seems to hit the mark on accurate size (JMHO)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back