LPA NN-014 Rey's Blaster. Safety Question...

MatterMaker

Ok, I have now jumped on the band wagon, albeit not an enormous band-wagon but a band-wagon none-the-less, and have begun modelling for my version of Rey's NN-014 blaster. Which I plan to CNC from aluminum and make as authentic as I possibly can...!

I have a question about the safety slide at the back above the grip.

Which direction is Safe and which direction is Fire? Does Rey slide the safety UP/Forward towards the barrel to fire? Or does she slide the safety Down/Back towards the grip, to fire?

I figure, if I'm bothering to make it as accurate/hero prop-ish as possible, I should at least get this right! I've seen the film 3 times but I never thought to pay attention to that little detail.

Thanks for your help! (only if you're sure! No guesses please!)

MM.

EDIT: Nothing like editing a typo that is 5 years old!

Last edited:
Doing a bit more searching online, I found this image where Han hands the blaster to Rey...
rey-han.jpg
Can we assume the safety is ON when he hands it over? If so, then UP/FORWARD is Fire position, DOWN/BACK is Safe.
and....now I'm guessing... :p

MM.

I would have to say that the up position is safety ON. as you can see when Rey reaches behind her the safety is up and ON
00003.jpg

And then it looks like she slides her thumb DOWN to fire it ???.

00004.jpg

Thanks JDiamond,

From that picture, it definitely looks like she is pulling the safety towards herself before firing. This is good. If I can get any more confirmation from others it would help corroborate this theory. For now, I will go ahead with safe in the Up/Forward, position until I hear otherwise... The reason why I'm being so picky is that I'm making this blaster to "function" with an fx board and proper trigger switch. The modelling continues! Build thread to follow at some point in the not so distant future.

mm.

Your welcome MatterMaker, I look forward to seeing your build and I like that you are making the internals work

FYI i called it safety in my video and i think it just caught on. I just made that up I have no idea if its a safety... It could a cocking mechanism etc. I wouldn't worry too much about the direction of it.

Jesse

Last edited:
Actually, I have always thought that to be the safety when I first saw this blaster and I don't think I have ever seen another Star Wars blaster that needs to be "******" before it is fired.
I guess as far as direction goes MatterMaker just wants it to be as accurate as possible.

I suppose with little to reference it to, a lot of it is just guesswork and we will all keep guessing till we learn more??

Cheers :confused

FYI i called it safety in my video and i think it just caught on. I just made that up I have no idea if its a safety... It could a cocking mechanism etc. I wouldn't worry too much about the direction of it.

Jesse

It's definitely a safety as they describe it as such in the film and it doesn't fire unless Rey flips the position. I recall she says "take the safety off" or something similar, when she realizes it doesn't fire after she attempts to take her first shot.

mm.

It could a cocking mechanism etc. I wouldn't worry too much about the direction of it.
It was made to resemble the Mauser C96/DL-44 and while the C96 does have a cocking mechanism, its safety is to the left of the middle just as on Rey's blaster.

The C96 went through multiple revisions of the safety mechanism. In the very first revision, Down was Safe - which is the reverse of how it was on the gun that was used for Han's blaster.

Just a heads up for anyone who's followed this thread and may be interested. I've got my build thread for the NN-14 blaster started and have made quite a bit of progress on the model. Updating regularly as I make progress... Check it out [HERE]

Cheers!
mm.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back