Efx has a new $300 Darth Vader (precision cast replica) Helmet

I was originally going to order the pristine one, but now I'm rethinking that. I also have an Anovos on order so that one's already gonna be pristine. Maybe I need a dingy Darth in my collection after all.

I know to many people that cancelled the Anovos helmet, it's becoming "aNEVERS." I know how an IPO works, but jeez, please, I could be dead by the time I get it.

There is no paint.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no paint. And I vehement;y disagree, it does not look cheap at all. But you have a right to be rude.Keep it up.

So you are saying there is no paint on this helmet. Well per gino the standard helmet was going to have spray painted gunmetal and the special edition was going to have hand brushed gunmetal paint. If this is the case, gino has some explaining to do.

There is no paint.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no paint. And I vehement;y disagree, it does not look cheap at all. But you have a right to be rude.Keep it up.

Oh, so it's rude to speak the truth? Well, then I guess I'll just have to accept that I'm a rude SOB because I stand by my statement 100%.

By the way, criticizing ANOVOS for delays while talking about a product from eFx may be the funniest thing I've read on this forum in years. :rolleyes

People, don't let the haters put fog in the pathway of your visions. It's overall a great Vader Helmet.

Thanks for the pics, but I've got to say, it's odd that you showed up right around the time orders for these things are supposedly going to open, and every last one of your posts is either to praise this product, complain about Anovos' Vader, or to try and shout down anyone who has an issue with EFX's offering. Anyways...

Yeah, GF, looking at the production pieces, I GET what it is. My disappointment is with what EFX has said it is - here and on the website they continue to claim direct lineage to the tour molds (it's not, it's scanned from a helmet pulled from a tour mold, and that scan data modified to be cheaper to produce. I mean, I guess that's better than just winging it with a new sculpt, but it aint direct lineage), and the very strong implication is that it's an ABS version of the Legend. Because of further modification, also not. The pics on their site very carefully obscure the areas that have been modified, so that wasn't really clear until now. My issue is that, and we're just talking price points now, compare this to the Rubies Supreme. Both ABS, both created from digitally cleaned up and modified helmets with lineage. Now, forgetting the scope of the clean up and modification on the Rubies, because, yes, it's not a great looking helmet, these should be, given the production has to be basically the same, in the same ballpark price wise. Yet the EFX modified, digitally scanned, injection-molded piece is THREE TIMES the cost of the RS? That's a hell of a premium to pay for...I'm really not sure what exactly. A certificate of authenticity? A toyish looking spray paint job? And look, to be really clear, the only reason I'm even following this conversation is because if it was simply an ABS version of the Legend, I'd be all over this to replace my aging Don Post CA - I was ready to buy based on the website pics and description. At close to $400 once shipping is included, then duty on top of that? Not so sure.

is it just me or on the original does the "eyebrow" looking part of the top helmet stick out a lot further away from the face while the EFX one sits more flush?

Lens perspective distortion. Unless you can match the focal length of the lens, the distance from lens to subject, and the angle, you're going to have a distorted non-matching image. The closer to the subject, and the wider angle the lens, the more perspective distortion you'll see, especially towards the edges of the frame.

Also, there is a reflection of light along the edge of the dome, which hides the true edge of the dome against the white background. So that's adding to the flattened features as well.

Thanks for the pics, but I've got to say, it's odd that you showed up right around the time orders for these things are supposedly going to open, and every last one of your posts is either to praise this product, complain about Anovos' Vader, or to try and shout down anyone who has an issue with EFX's offering. Anyways...

Yeah, GF, looking at the production pieces, I GET what it is. My disappointment is with what EFX has said it is - here and on the website they continue to claim direct lineage to the tour molds (it's not, it's scanned from a helmet pulled from a tour mold, and that scan data modified to be cheaper to produce. I mean, I guess that's better than just winging it with a new sculpt, but it aint direct lineage), and the very strong implication is that it's an ABS version of the Legend. Because of further modification, also not. The pics on their site very carefully obscure the areas that have been modified, so that wasn't really clear until now. My issue is that, and we're just talking price points now, compare this to the Rubies Supreme. Both ABS, both created from digitally cleaned up and modified helmets with lineage. Now, forgetting the scope of the clean up and modification on the Rubies, because, yes, it's not a great looking helmet, these should be, given the production has to be basically the same, in the same ballpark price wise. Yet the EFX modified, digitally scanned, injection-molded piece is THREE TIMES the cost of the RS? That's a hell of a premium to pay for...I'm really not sure what exactly. A certificate of authenticity? A toyish looking spray paint job? And look, to be really clear, the only reason I'm even following this conversation is because if it was simply an ABS version of the Legend, I'd be all over this to replace my aging Don Post CA - I was ready to buy based on the website pics and description. At close to $400 once shipping is included, then duty on top of that? Not so sure.

Given the price of this, you could have spent an extra $150 and gotten a finished, reasonably accurate helmet from Bookface

Given the price of this, you could have spent an extra $150 and gotten a finished, reasonably accurate helmet from Bookface

Yep, a nice hand-finished piece. Or if I've decided not to go for pure SA anyways, a hundred bucks more and the Anovos which has a really nice locking system and cool reveal details. Yeah, exactly what's going through my mind. I don't know, there's definitely some nice ANH-looking goodness going on in this mask, and I'm perfectly willing to admit I'm having a bit of difficulty seeing this piece for what it is rather than what it isn't.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this helmet for the price is ridiculously awesome and rivals most of the reworked fan made helmets out there in terms of it's overall geometry.
Does it have the same level of accuracy of the fiberglass legend, of course not, but for the price and the fact is it injection molded, it's exceeded my expectations.

DARTH VADER ANH PCR HELMET - SPECIAL EDITION - $329

ANH_VADER_XPCR_1.jpg

ANH_VADER_XPCR_2.jpg

ANH_VADER_XPCR_3.jpg

ANH_VADER_XPCR_4.jpg

ANH_VADER_XPCR_5.jpg

ANH_VADER_XPCR_6.jpg

ANH_VADER_XPCR_7.jpg

ANH_VADER_XPCR_8.jpg

ANH_VADER_XPCR_9.jpg

ANH_VADER_XPCR_10.jpg

ANH_VADER_XPCR_11.jpg

Yep, a nice hand-finished piece. Or if I've decided not to go for pure SA anyways, a hundred bucks more and the Anovos which has a really nice locking system and cool reveal details. Yeah, exactly what's going through my mind. I don't know, there's definitely some nice ANH-looking goodness going on in this mask, and I'm perfectly willing to admit I'm having a bit of difficulty seeing this piece for what it is rather than what it isn't.

For a pure trooping helmet, I can see the desire for something like this EFX version, but yea you brought up a good point regarding the production in relation to the Rubies supreme. While yes, it was a bastardized version of it's former self, i.e, ESB, speaking purely about quality (not accuracy or details), it wasn't a bad "product," especially that I was able to score it brand new for $25 (I was borrowing a vader suit for a disabled child's birthday and it didn't come with a helmet! ) and with some significant amount of re-work and patience could be deemed passable to most audiences. The one key thing that's throwing me off for this EFX version is the need to have separated tubes along the faceplate. IIRC, the rubies didn't have this issue at all, or at least I don't recall many previous iterations having to make a compromise for that part of the helmet.

That being said, I didn't know there were 2 versions offered here, and assumed that the pics from Meekerscott were just "it." I am curious to see how the weathered version looks on hand VS the "display model" or if it's worth just repainting. Considering I dropped a good chunk of my tax return on a vader helmet and armor set, I don't have a need at the moment for alternatives.

Let me just say that Vader politics suck! :D

I've owned several Vader helmets over the years, including a DP deluxe and a few Classic Actions...And while I've always watched the Vader discussions from the sidelines, I'm far from a Vader expert. I have no direct "loyalty" to EFX, Anovos, Don Post, Rubies, JB, Cking, Rick Baker, Gino, or anyone else involved in making Vader lids...

But I gotta say that those pics look pretty amazing...I will gladly throw down $329 for a helmet that looks that good. It does a great job at capturing the look, feel, vibe of the ANH Vader...warts and all...at a decent price point when you compare to the fiberglass version. So therefore I really can't understand all the negativity in this thread.

If you don't like, don't buy...If you do like, get in line behind me. :)

Jason

PS - Gino...dude...That website is hurting...Any updates?

Oh yeah, if the production pieces prove true to the sample, I'd say if I end up going for one of these then the thirty bucks for hand painting is totally worth it. The hand painting, the C scar - really brings the piece to life.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back