MAKE BELIEVE

Master Member
After a loong wait I finally begun working on this great model
Getting started:

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg pic6.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Phantom of the Opera Polar Lights model kit - WIP

Lon Chaney is the best looking Phantom of all-time, imo. Most of the others seem to go with the handsome-guy-with-some-scars nonsense - the Phantom was supposed to be utterly terrifying!
Nice work so far, Make Believe - loving the disembodied hands picture :D I'm looking forward to seeing the finished result!

Lon Chaney is the best looking Phantom of all-time, imo. Most of the others seem to go with the handsome-guy-with-some-scars nonsense - the Phantom was supposed to be utterly terrifying!
Nice work so far, Make Believe - loving the disembodied hands picture :D I'm looking forward to seeing the finished result!

Agree with you 100%. Chaney is the best looking Phantom. Sadly is often forgotten but IMO he was one of the best (and the more complete) actors.
This will be my second "small tribute" to him (the first was when I built the Huntchback kit)
Thanks for your comment

On closer inspection of the hands, I wonder if you had considered modifying them slightly to reflect the box art more closely?

The model's hands look quite relaxed compared to the claw-like pose in the illustration, where they bend backwards slightly at the first knuckle.

You really do a great job and I know you like to tackle this genre of kits would be interesting sometime if you posted a pic of all the monster/invisible man style kits you have done in one thread.. Looking forward to more.

Mike

On closer inspection of the hands, I wonder if you had considered modifying them slightly to reflect the box art more closely?

The model's hands look quite relaxed compared to the claw-like pose in the illustration, where they bend backwards slightly at the first knuckle.

I see your point. The model's left hand looks a bit relaxed but I have not considered modifying it (in this kit I intend two add a couple of things but am not thinking of modifying anything. In the Huntchback kit I did modify Lon's hair, the base and the ropes :D)

You really do a great job and I know you like to tackle this genre of kits would be interesting sometime if you posted a pic of all the monster/invisible man style kits you have done in one thread.. Looking forward to more.

Mike

Thanks Mike for your comment and suggestion. I do love these kits and have built a few. I'm after the Drácula / Bela Lugosi kit but sadly they're all in the US and the shipping costs are ridiculous and prohibitive so I'll keep waiting. When I get that model my collection will almost be complete and I'll sure post them all in one thread.
Thank you

Objects on the organ:

Finished the candelabrum (decided not to use red candles) and aged the music sheets

pic1.jpg pic3.jpg pic1.jpg pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

Last edited:

Ok, finished working on the keyboards. I have to say this is a true work of patience (those of you who have already built this kit know what I'm talking about...)
Next step: assembling the organ

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg

Decided to add an extra to the diorama: an organ stool

Here's a pic of the stool as seen on the movie

pic4.jpg

And what I'll try to do:

pic5.jpg pic4.jpg

Painting the head (gave a bit of texture/grain so it wouldn't look too smooth and "shiny")

pic5.jpg pic6.jpg pic7.jpg pic8.jpg

pic9.jpg pic10.jpg

Nice work! It's a shame Ed "Diceman" Bowkley had to get out of the resin kit trade; he had a terrific replacement head for this kit.

Thanks Zombie 61. Funny that you mention that because there is something about this head I am not 100% happy with (especially the mouth)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back