The Obsession, Building ANOTHER Working (Shooting) Bladerunner Blaster

eltee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Most of you have seen my Bladerunner blasters over the years. A couple of years ago I built a shooter, using a real .44 special Charter Arms revolver and a Rich Coyle replica. I posted a tutorial on RPF inc. legal admonitions and warnings.Here are a couple of pics of the current shooter, here's a link to that original thread. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=114441&highlight=Bladerunner+shooter

Here is the shooter, the one in the center, sitting in my BR display cubby hole.

BR_DISPLAY.jpg

Last edited:
Re: The Obsession, Building ANOTHER Bladerunner Blaster

Can anyone advise me as to the best digital size to post pics, please. MIne always come out looking so small. Dimensions, DPI, etc. info needed.

Here is a closer view of the shooter, you can see the Charter Arms within. Those cylindrical pieces of metal to the left of the Blaster are end cuts from making the barrel for the shooter. Used rifled .44 caliber barrel stock that had to be turned to size, crowned, threaded, shouldered, etc.

ShooterOpen.jpg

Last edited:

I recently acquired another Charter Arms Bulldog and a real, correct model Steyr SL rifle receiver and bolt assembly in .222 caliber. SCORE! So I will building another shooter but this time with a real Steyr upper. The mod requires much machine work to both pieces plus making a custom barrel for the Charter Arms pistol. Only the bare frame and FCG will remain.

ShooterParts.jpg

Last edited:

Just put your pic In. and before posting double click on image. pick medium or large if would like it bigger and you can center it also...

I always thought the Prop men who worked on that film would crap themselves if they ever knew what you did! :lol

So cool. I know Rich has also helped put a few shooters together for customers.

Could not have built mine without him. I visited Rich last summer and we discussed the prospect of a new, improved shooter. I got the real gun pieces I needed so it's time to spend some time in the machine shop. Rich's versions of the blaster continue to evolve as new discoveries are found, even tiny little obscure details. We discussed one just this week and hopefully it will be incorporated in my latest build up.

Building a prop gun based on a .44 special can be tricky, lots of physics in action and if you're not careful that replicant elimination pistol can turn in a hand grenade, in your hand! :-O

This will be a slow and incremental process. I'll take pics and share. With luck, this blaster will shoot, have the real Steyr upper, plus any improvements Rich has come up with since my last build which was started 4 or so years ago.

Could not have built mine without him. I visited Rich last summer and we discussed the prospect of a new, improved shooter. I got the real gun pieces I needed so it's time to spend some time in the machine shop. Rich's versions of the blaster continue to evolve as new discoveries are found, even tiny little obscure details. We discussed one just this week and hopefully it will be incorporated in my latest build up.

Building a prop gun based on a .44 special can be tricky, lots of physics in action and if you're not careful that replicant elimination pistol can turn in a hand grenade, in your hand! :-O

This will be a slow and incremental process. I'll take pics and share. With luck, this blaster will shoot, have the real Steyr upper, plus any improvements Rich has come up with since my last build which was started 4 or so years ago.

Oh, that's you! Rich has mentioned you. I'm good friends with Rich and live about 45min. from him. I have been to his home a bunch of times, have his most recent BR gun as well as a BSG gun, and spoke to him last week! He offered to upgrade my BR gun with the newer improved scope when I visit next. :)

Very nice! I'm jealous. I have my charter arms revolver, have some odds and ends, but I don't have any of the big add on parts I want yet. I'm trying to find the real deal too.

Very nice! I'm jealous. I have my charter arms revolver, have some odds and ends, but I don't have any of the big add on parts I want yet. I'm trying to find the real deal too.

I was willing to buy a complete Steyr SL and disassemble it but I lucked out and got the right model and caliber upper and bolt, all that's needed for a blaster build.

Good luck. Remember to mind the gap gasses, etc.

Will you be giving us details of the machining of the Steyr upper? I always hear it's a big job. and I have always been curious as to what is involved.

Will you be giving us details of the machining of the Steyr upper? I always hear it's a big job. and I have always been curious as to what is involved.

I will probably do a mini tutorial like the one I did with my first shooter. We make real guns in the shop so the machinery is there (industrial mills, lathes, 3D scanner and printer, drill press, hydraulic press, etc. and most is computer controlled). The tough process will be getting the Steyr to seat properly and securely over the Bulldog plus a lot of work on the bolt / bolt handle. The bolt assembly requires cutting, milling, bending the handle, refitting end cap, etc.

This will not be an overnight process, my shooter took several months of part time work.

@eltee

How does the current shooter shoot?

Is the recoil as mild as I imagine it would be with that much metal added?

Will only shot light loads (handloaded) with solid lead bullets and blanks so can't really judge recoil. The gun is so heavy that I did not notice any perceptible rise or recoil when I fired it. I also did not want to overly stress the things that are screwed into PEWTER which is very soft. Depending how the Steyr version turns out, I might up the power a little bit but truly I don't intend to be doing too much shooting through either of these prop replicas.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back