My Graflite Challenge / Custom lightsaber

SethS

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So let's talk Graflite. I have mentioned elsewhere (everywhere), that I HATE this flashgun. Why? Mostly because they are cheap, kinda worthless, and it's impossible to go looking for a Graflex without somebody waving one of these in your face thinking they've found gold to sell to the nerds. These things go for ridiculous prices on eBay-- sold by and bought by people who don't know what they are looking for.

I mean, unless you are one of those sick puppies who WANT to make Luke's lightsaber from the Holiday Special, or you are ambitious enough to make a 1:1 X-Wing cockpit-- there's no point to these things.

BUT THEN... I saw this:

Panaflex scored an awesome looking Graflite that was super cool looking to start, then made it even cooler. That inspired me to challenge myself (or anyone else) to make a decent saber out of one of these.

Luckily, I found one for $25 (which is the MOST they are worth) and decided to see if I could un-suck it for a custom saber.

I didn't take a before picture, but you've all seen them. First thing I did was wet-sand off the grimy tape scum and dingy aluminum surface. That made it shiny at least.
Graf1.jpg

As it was sitting there, inspiration hit. With the cap to the right of the top I realized I'd never seen anyone do the ports at the bottom. They are generally at the top. I've seen some cool 2 cell extensions in play that put them in the middle-- but I haven't seen the bottom. So I cooked up a little story in my head.

This lightsaber is a trophy. It belongs to a pirate or bounty hunter that scavenged it off a dead Jedi. As such, he likes to wave it around to look badass, but he's not THAT good. More importantly, to keep it operational he's had to get creative when it comes to maintenance cause he has no idea how the thing works.

The ports near a big endcap says to me that he's had to hack the powercell. Since I'm not going to waste a good clamp on this thing, maybe I can rework the existing Graflite control box justifying it's non-traditional look to the fact a not-Jedi installed it at some point. Overall, I want it to be simple and lean (mainly because i'm not using good parts on it :) ) but with the aesthetic that it is used in the most simplistic of ways.

First task-- kill the threads in the end cap so I can snap it down on the top instead.

Graf2.jpg

Which worked perfectly:

Graf3.jpg

As for those ports-- two ideas.

1. Obviously, wire work will fit my story and help hide the English words.
2. I want to put more black on this thing. Obviously, inspired by Panaflex-- but I can't just go and steal his thunder. :) So I'm going to do a band of black instead tinting the whole thing.

Here it is painted, distressed/weathered and wired.

Graf4.jpg

I am using the guts to help craft an emitter on the other end, so right now this angle favors the fact that you can see right through the holes when you look at it dead on. So I'll need to put something in there.

That is in the back of my brain whilst I attack the other end next...

That band accent already works so well. I've wanted to make a "broken" saber for a while, that has been like jacked into a power source that you have to hang on your belt. Like one that took a blaster hit to the power cell, so they bypassed it to some core pulled off a speeder. This is all in my head of course. I appreciate the backstory for this build, is what I'm saying I guess [emoji1417][emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah! I want to do a full on damaged saber too, so long as I can figure out how to make it look different from a junkyard saber like Kyo Ren's-- which is cool in its own way, but a different origin. And yeah-- I like backstories to my builds. Even my Nerf guns get them. I'm a writer by day, so it's part of my process I think.

So what to do about those holes...

Plan 1-- Use the socket guts from another flash-- I have extra... but the Graflite has a unique plug arrangement so it wouldn't actually fit to the holes. I could use the actual guts in it-- but then I'm starting from scratch for an emitter-- which needs more for show than these holes do.

Plan 2-- Get one of those 3D printed chassis for electronic sabers, fill it with scrap circuitry and jam it in there. It would work-- but paying to have a chassis made and planning out guts for a few tiny holes seems excessive.

Plan 3-- Take one of my mini flashguns, give it some greeblies, then figure out how to remove the mounting socket from the endcap, flip it, and use the threads to run a bolt up inside the Graflite to mount the miniflash assembly to. Again-- a lot of work for a teeeeny little hole and I am reticent to use parts I could use on another saber on a Graflite with, again, a miniscule view inside.

1... 2... or 3...

OR

4. I could just take this cardboard tube that was in the Graflite to fight corrosion, slit it up the middle so I can roll it to fit inside, and paint it metallic.

Graf5.jpg

Aaaaaaand that problem is solved.

Graf6.jpg

So before I get going on the emitter, I'm gonna take these black plastic parts and make them not look like black plastic. Added a large clamp wheel to the bottom and did some paint work.

Graf7.jpg

Starting off the end with the same black band as below...

Graf8.jpg

For the emitter, I have a bulb socket from a newer flash in my box that isn't very saber-y... but the socket is cool, and it fits perfectly into the Graflite socket. I made new pilot holes and set the socket ahead a little to give a little bit flavor. Set the screws, and the emitter is done. Easy peasy.

Graf9.jpg
Graf10.jpg

In addition to figuring out how to attach pictures correctly, I also finished this baby up.

On the emitter end, I flipped the control scheme, which looks better to me. I took out the switch and square red button, replacing them with a greeblie and a shaved down edge card from a piece left over from the Minicam saber.

Graf11.jpg

From there I decided to add more life to the endcap by recreating the pommel-style t-track I did on the mini cam. And that ended up determining an offset grip for the body itself.

It was an obvious choice to use longer segments of grip to cover all the extra holes I was left with after switching ends in my design.

Graf12.jpg

Which pretty much leaves me done! I'll stick it on the shelf and stare at a week and see if any other ideas come to mind.

Graf13.jpg

Graf14.jpg

Graf15.jpg
Graf16.jpg

Graf17.jpg

Attachments

• Graf15.jpg
    Graf15.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 105
I love how you took this Graflite and turned everything upside down on it. I don't think I would've thought to do that and it really sets it apart. I also particularly like the large clamp wheel on the bottom, the tiny edge card, and the weathered look of the painted parts. Nice job! :thumbsup

Thanks! Crazy how flipping something can change the look of it.

The top part of the emitter was from a Nikonos underwater flash. The flash itself may or may not be good for a saber-- but its bulb socket was cool, and it popped RIGHT into the Graflite socket.

Gotta agree with what Jedi Reali said. That was a very clever move. :thumbsup

I've been working on my "Graflite Challenge" on & off today. I'm going more towards the Panaflex Stealth Saber look, along with some of my usual Scott D standard parts.

Nice work! I like how the off set grips turned out.
Also, nice job on the weathering around the service ports of the flash.

Thanks guys!

Also, forgot to mention, something that really helped the look-- Since I didn't need the endcap threads once the bottom became the top, I cut off a good inch. The Graflite always seemed comically long, so that helped it I think.

You know what...if the graflite button thing was longer it would make a cool activation box/plate in the middle of a saber too! I've never looked at it upside down!

Great job with this saber! As others mentioned, I really like how you flipped the saber upside down. Looks really good.

I've had a Graflite sitting around for 10+ years. Finally started picking up some parts to make a custom saber. What paint did you use on the plastic pieces? They look way better.

I sanded them a bit, hit them with a flat black primer, then once that dried I went after them with some silver Rub n Buff.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back