Kobold found in the wild

laszlo

Sr Member
Well it's been a big day for me :) - I've been buying flashes for props since 1999 and although I've found a couple of MPP's for £30 and several Kobolds for £5 each over the years from camera shops and camera shows, I have never found a flash in the wild until today!

At my local junk market just down the road from me I found this inaccurate Kobold in it's box. When I opened it up this was also inside!!!
Finally I have found a prop flash in the wild - it's only taken 16+ years .....my cherry has been popped!
I'm smiling a geek smile. IMG_5317.jpgIMG_5316.jpgIMG_5315.jpgIMG_5314.jpg

Oh it was also five UK pounds!

jealousing...

I live in LA. My chances of finding them in the wild are slim to none. Time to go visit the rural family and hit some antique shops.

Outstanding! All I've ever scored in the wild was one lonely Praco. A Graflex, MPP, or Kobold might as well be the Ark of the Covenant :lol

jealousing...

I live in LA. My chances of finding them in the wild are slim to none. Time to go visit the rural family and hit some antique shops.

Lol I live in LA too and this place is like a dusty boneyard of picked over scrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. The crazy thing is, is that I've been looking at this market regularly since a friend of mine found a Kobold there three years ago. That is why I go. So to find one today in a box of crap was pretty surreal. I almost didn't bother to have my routine hunt this week too. And.....deep breath ;)

Lol I live in LA too and this place is like a dusty boneyard of picked over scrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jealousing...

I live down in the desert about 2 or 3 hours from LA, if you think there's nothing in LA, you don't even wanna know how barren this place is!

great find!!!! once in a lifetime it seems, but I hope not. That's i beautiful shape too, You deserve a beer! :cheers

Yes - a beer once the kids are in bed!
Shame it's got the red button, I may swap it for the brass bulb that is in my friends unit - he's not a prop nut, but a collector of curios so he won't care.

I can't complain-- my score in 1994 was big enough that I'll have to accept all my flashgun luck was likely blown in one shot way back then.

Oh-- sorry. I posted about it a bunch in the custom thread and was worried people were tired of hearing about it...

In 1994 I was a photo major in college and right before Star Wars hype became a thing again I went looking for a Graflex. I found one for around $25, but the guy insisted I take his entire box of "junk." In addition to the Graflex there was a Heiland with the Vader shroud and MPP style holes (though I had no idea that was important at the time), 3 more regular style Heilands, three Mendelsohn mini flashes, a Ziess miniflash, a Minicam, a King Sol 3 cell, and a Canon Model Y along with a few other less lightsabery things. Just recently started to dig back into it.

Anyway, not to derail. There was a Leitz in the box, which is similar to a Kobold. In fact I thought it was what was used for the droid caller and I raided its d-clip just today.

But no actual Kobold.

SOME day maybe!

Well it's been a big day for me :) - I've been buying flashes for props since 1999 and although I've found a couple of MPP's for £30 and several Kobolds for £5 each over the years from camera shops and camera shows, I have never found a flash in the wild until today!

At my local junk market just down the road from me I found this inaccurate Kobold in it's box. When I opened it up this was also inside!!!
Finally I have found a prop flash in the wild - it's only taken 16+ years .....my cherry has been popped!
I'm smiling a geek smile.View attachment 587376View attachment 587375View attachment 587374View attachment 587373

Oh it was also five UK pounds!

Going to have to start scratting around my part of the U.K. Finding MPP flashguns for £30. What condition were they in?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back